Pistol + registered sear = machine gun = sbr???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Been reading up on this lately since getting to do a little full auto shooting and would love to have one... (Sadly that won't happen due to my income level but oh well).

Anyhow it's laid out pretty clearly here as to what is being talked about here if you care to read about it.
    Drop In Auto Sear

I realize that the source is very old, but it does lots of explaining even into how it works etc and provides pictures/diagrams. I found it to be pretty informative at least. I basically stumbled upon it because I've always understood semi and full auto fire but never understood how a 3 round burst would work. Anyhow I thought I'd share it and I've pasted a clip from the link below. It's during 03 so you'll have to weed through that due to the ban...

This is a an auto sear made before 1986 and registered (tax paid) with the BATF as a machinegun. Currently (Nov-2003) they sell in the $7500 - 8500 price range and require an additional $200 transfer tax to own. This is the only type an individual can use to make an AR15 full auto. To obtain one, an individual (non FFL/SOT) would have to live in a state that permits ownership of full auto firearms and complete a BATF form 4 in duplicate with fingerprints, pictures, and a CLEO certification. The auto sear itself is legally the same as a complete transferable machinegun - it is legal to own and use, provided the paperwork is filed with BATF and you receive an approved form 4. The registered auto sear requires installation of M16 (full auto) fire control parts (trigger, disconnector, selector, hammer, and bolt carrier) in the semi automatic host rifle. Normally, even possession of an M16 part with an AR15 is a felony - it doesn’t even have to be installed in the gun! If you own a registered DIAS however, possession is permitted as long as you are the legal owner of a registered DIAS. If the DIAS is removed from the rifle, the M16 parts MUST BE REMOVED also. The instant a registered DIAS is removed, any M16 parts in the AR15 will constitute a felony. The same principle also applies to barrel length. If you have a short barrel (less than 16”) on an AR15 with a registered DIAS installed, you must remove the barrel/upper whenever the DIAS is not in the gun. The registered DIAS can be installed in either a pre or post ban AR15 with all the evil assault features you wish. Because the DIAS makes the rifle full automatic when installed, it is no longer covered by the 1994 assault weapons ban, which defines an assault weapon as a “semiautomatic rifle” with specific features (bayo. lug, threaded barrel, flash hider, etc.). When the sear is removed from a post-ban gun, you must restore the gun to a post-ban configuration, and remove those evil assault features. Just remember, when the registered DIAS is installed, the host gun becomes like a machinegun and is treated as such. The instant the DIAS is removed, the host firearm must revert back to its original semiautomatic state (no F/A parts, no short barrels), and if a post ban, it must comply with the assault weapons ban.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    ^^^^^^^^ LOL VUPDblue is an IMPD police officer and very versed in the world of NFA.

Yes VUPD is VERY versed in NFA and guns and I listen when he types. But it's because he's a gun guy. I don't give people points for knowledge just for being cops. Some Impd cops (I'm sure other departments too) don't even know what bullets their duty gun takes! I'm not kidding this is a true and recent story by a friend who runs a local range. I wouldn't even bring this up except for the fact that the person was very proud to point out "it's ok I'm a pOLeece officer." And proceeded to shoot the incorrect ammo in her duty weapon while "instructing a new shooter". Mother of god!!!!!

like a lot of people who were in the military are gun idiots! Like totaly stupid and unsafe when it comes to guns because most of them never shot one after basic. And now certain branches don't even fire live rounds in basic.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    The exact question here has been asked to ATF and answered more than once. Asking them again opens doors that are better left closed, IMHO.

Gee, you mean like a bunch of AR pistol owners contacting BATFE to ask for clarification of their pistol status when they shoulder their Sig arm braces? :rolleyes:

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    If you think about how a "clipped and pinned" HK goes together it just makes these ATF rules sound stupid. The rear pin holds in the trigger pack which contains the registered sear. Those one or two pins that hold the trigger pack also hold the stock in place.

Now, going the other way around...
    If I *ahem* had an MP5 and removed the registered sear (to move into another host gun) then I'd have an unregistered MP5 SBR. I wonder if that MP5 without a stock could be set up as a pistol to avoid that extra NFA tax stamp? If the MP5 began life as a pistol then probably yes. If it began it's life as a rifle then no. Maybe an MP5 without a trigger pack isn't any kind of firearm at all? This is SO stupid!

You are correct about whether the gun started life as a pistol vs a rifle. An MP5 (or any HK variant) without a trigger pack is still a firearm (a rifle or pistol, depending on how it started life). The serialized receiver for an HK is the "upper", not the lower that houses the trigger pack. This is the same as with the FAL series of rifles (or heck, the Ruger MK series of .22 pistols for that matter). Somewhere along the line, someone arbitrarily decided which part is the actual receiver for these guns. For the AR series, it's the lower, for the HK series, it's the upper. Why? Who knows. :dunno:

Top Bottom