• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I wasnt sure where to put this as it involves both a pistol and a rifle so I stuck it here.

Mods feel free to move If I did wrong.

Ive decided my next couple of purchases will be a revolver and a rifle that can share ammo. There are alot of advantages to this set up that I like and I think its a good combo to have.

Ive already decided the revolver will be either a Stainless Ruger 6" Blackhawk in .357 or a Stainless 6" GP100. Im open to suggestions on this too though.

The thing is I cant decide on is the rifle. I want a stainless lever gun in .357, but the only one I know of is made by Marlin and Ive heard alot of bad things about them latley. I have looked at Winchester, Uberti, Puma and Henry.

I like the Henry the best and hear they have great CS but since I plan to hunt with this set up Im not so sure I want to be beating through the woods with such a pretty rifle.

Winchester and Uberti seem to be good guns but Im wondering if they are worth the price as they are all listed for 1k+. Also I dont know anything about thier CS.

My friend has a Puma and Ive shot it a little and its seems to be the best value out of all of them.

What do you guys and gals think?

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    My choice would be .45 Colt and the rifle would be a Winchester Trapper carbine.

Even in the .357 I would still go with the 16" Winchester. As a second choice I would go with a large loop Puma 92 and try to find a 16" version, and I would prefer one manufactured in the pre-Taurus-owned time. Hear-tell the quality went down and the price went up when the factory changed. Third choice would be Henry. Sorry, but I can't get into the way the Marlins feel or look.

Barrels longer than 16" don't help at all with standard pressure .45 Colt and .38 Special, and only marginally with magnums. Where you will really find a gain with a long (22"-24") barrel is with rounds like the .357 Max, .454 Casull, and .460 Magnum. The .357 Magnum can experience gains with a 20" barrel though.

I just happen to think the 16" pistol caliber rifles are the best for handling and carrying.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I have the same setup you are wanting in 45 Colt, works great! I think .357 is a better choice though ammo wise. Plus you can shoot cheaper .38's through them. Its a fun and useful combo for sure though! :) My lever action is a Rossi/Puma and it shoots great. And my revolvers are Ruger, they are tanks that will work and last!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    You won't be sorry if you get the Henry, scratches happen, they add character to the gun. If I were in your shoes I'd be gettin' a Henry, supporting a great company that still makes 100% of their guns in the USA.:rockwoot:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    My choice would be .45 Colt and the rifle would be a Winchester Trapper carbine.

Im going .357 simply for the ammo availability. Would you mind please to go into more detail as to why you prefer the Winchester? I know the new ones are made in Japan but that really doesnt bother me much. I would just like to know a little more about fit and finish and Customer Service If you wouldnt mind. Thanks.

I have the same setup you are wanting in 45 Colt, works great! I think .357 is a better choice though ammo wise. Plus you can shoot cheaper .38's through them. Its a fun and useful combo for sure though! :) My lever action is a Rossi/Puma and it shoots great. And my revolvers are Ruger, they are tanks that will work and last!

:yesway: Im Ruger biased myself for revolvers. I was raised on a Single Six and just never turned away from Ruger. How do you like your Puma rifle?

You won't be sorry if you get the Henry, scratches happen, they add character to the gun. If I were in your shoes I'd be gettin' a Henry, supporting a great company that still makes 100% of their guns in the USA.:rockwoot:

Thats one of the biggest thing I like about Henry. 100% USA made and I hear the warranty and CS is second to none.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Have you considered the Ruger 77/357 also? Nobody (of any importance) will call you a Ruger fanboy if you do ;).

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Have you considered the Ruger 77/357 also? Nobody (of any importance) will call you a Ruger fanboy if you do ;).

Yeah I looked at it. It seems like a nice rifle for the money. I honestly just would prefer a lever gun for this set up for a few reasons. The biggest one is capacity.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I have Blackhawk and Marlin 1894 combos in .357, .44 mag, and .45 LC. I've got a Blackhawk in .41 mag, but finding an 1894 in .41 mag at a decent price is like finding a Python at a decent price.

You can find some good used pre-Remlin Marlins out there. I have preferred them over the Winchester and Henry's I have owned. No experience with the Pumas.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Im going .357 simply for the ammo availability. Would you mind please to go into more detail as to why you prefer the Winchester? I know the new ones are made in Japan but that really doesnt bother me much. I would just like to know a little more about fit and finish and Customer Service If you wouldnt mind. Thanks.

:yesway: Im Ruger biased myself for revolvers. I was raised on a Single Six and just never turned away from Ruger. How do you like your Puma rifle?

Thats one of the biggest thing I like about Henry. 100% USA made and I hear the warranty and CS is second to none.

I like my Rossi just fine, I don't mind when a tree branch bruishes up against it! It shoots great, cycles good, it's lightweight, and shooting 45 Colt through it feels like I am shooting a 22 dang near! I wouldn't want to try and mount a scope on it, Marlin is way better in that regard. And yes Ruger revolvers are great for any occasion, just had my single six out earlier this week. :yesway:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    A cowboy combo is one of the very best to have for personal collecting and enjoyment. I mean you are covered for plinking, hunting, Cowboy action (well sort of) targets and personal protection and SHTF. Heck you can get them out and play/clean while silverado is n tv.

Personal favorite combos:

marlin 1894 limited 44 mag and smith model 29. Currently have this one.
    Marlin 1894c and smith 586. (just like above only cheaper to shoot)
    Winchester trapper and colt python. (More for show and flash/bling)
    Puma and the blackhawk ruger. (cheaper intro into both worlds)

If you are looking for a stainless 357 good luck finding a marlin. They made them one year and a second run later in the same year and most got purchased right away. Notice my second combo is a blued marlin and blued smith 586.

Then you can go to the old school 22 lr route. Marlin mountie and H&R sportsman. I like the break action revolver look when open with the short barreled mountie.

Some other combos non lever:
    Sig 226 and Kel tec sub 2K
    Malrin camp 9 and smith model 5906.
    A 45 with a mec tec conversion and a 45 1911.

The one thing you might find (as I did) that if you are ringing out the best accuracy one load will most likely shoot better in the revolver and another in the rifle.

canoeman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    I have a Marlin 1894 in .357 and have taken more than a few deer and hogs with it just fine! 180gr FPRN w/GC.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have a Marlin 1894 in .357 and have taken more than a few deer and hogs with it just fine! 180gr FPRN w/GC.

Thats the thing I want to like the Marlin but Ive heard alot of bad stuff lately, like poor QC and bad CS. I really do like the way they handle and my dad has a pre-Remington 30-30 that is an awesome gun. I just wish they (and Remington for that matter) still lived up to the name they made for themselves with guns like my dad's.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I like my Rossi just fine, I don't mind when a tree branch bruishes up against it! It shoots great, cycles good, it's lightweight, and shooting 45 Colt through it feels like I am shooting a 22 dang near! I wouldn't want to try and mount a scope on it, Marlin is way better in that regard. And yes Ruger revolvers are great for any occasion, just had my single six out earlier this week. :yesway:

Thanks! I think thats probably the direction Im leaning.

I would like to find a Winchester to fondle and maybe shoot. Ive never seen one that I remember. Although I probably wasnt looking very hard either.

Revolvers, Im still considering the Rugers but may rethink the Stainless in favor of the Blackhawk Convertible .357/9mm. Just to give it even more versitility.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Would you mind please to go into more detail as to why you prefer the Winchester? I know the new ones are made in Japan but that really doesnt bother me much. I would just like to know a little more about fit and finish and Customer Service If you wouldnt mind. Thanks.

I've not been able to handle one of the new ones, nor afford one of the old ones, however the look and feel of the trapper carbine in my hands is just right. Made in Japan doesn't bother me either. Maybe I'm just waiting for th eright deal. The Puma 92... at least the ones a few years back... well, I came " this close to buying a 16" one in .454 Casull, couldn't get anywhere close to the trade deal I wanted. They're a little more affordable, and I think the look is just about right too.

I didn't comment on your Ruger choice, but yeah, I would go Ruger all the way.

The stainless Blackhawk with rosewood grips is a GORGEOUS revolver. I've been drooling over my buddy's since he bought it. The one with the 6.5"... that'd be about perfect.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've not been able to handle one of the new ones, nor afford one of the old ones, however the look and feel of the trapper carbine in my hands is just right. Made in Japan doesn't bother me either. Maybe I'm just waiting for th eright deal. The Puma 92... at least the ones a few years back... well, I came " this close to buying a 16" one in .454 Casull, couldn't get anywhere close to the trade deal I wanted. They're a little more affordable, and I think the look is just about right too.

I didn't comment on your Ruger choice, but yeah, I would go Ruger all the way.

The stainless Blackhawk with rosewood grips is a GORGEOUS revolver. I've been drooling over my buddy's since he bought it. The one with the 6.5"... that'd be about perfect.

Thanks for the info. Im gonna go looking for a Winchester to check out. Its gonna be a little bit before I have the money for this set up so I have plenty of time to look at and fondle some guns before I make my choices. Also thanks for the insight on barrel length. I was thinking going with a 20" but now I think Im gonna get a 16".

Currently these are the front runners

Rossi USA
    Rossi 16" .357 Stainless.

Ruger® New Model Blackhawk® Stainless Single-Action Revolver Models
    The Blackhawk with the 6.5" barrel of course.

Top Bottom