• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    Okay let's get a new discussion going regarding sighting......

While firing HANDGUNS do you fire with your dominate eye open and the opposite closed, weak eye open and dominate closed, or both eyes open..... AND WHY do you think that way of firing is best?

I'll start....

I shoot with both eyes open.... I have found that while sighting with both eyes open allows me for better accuracy and allows me to maintain full peripheral vision if trying to aquire a 2nd or 3rd target to engage if need be.....

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I am left eye dominant and feel more comfortable with my right hand controlling the trigger. I have learned to squint down with the left eye when shooting any firearm and opening it full up for the scan afterward and to keep the right eye from dilating in a rifle match.

Of course, an equal amount of time is spent shooting with the left hand controlling the trigger. I don't need to squint or make adjustments when using my left hand.

IMO, we should all be proficient to make the shot in any way that we can or have to. Whether it be right or left handed. Most will have to make adjustments one way or the other.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    With pistols I tend to do both, but mostly I shoot with both eyes open. and have recently began trying that with rifle shootiing. It's a litle awkward to get used to, and I have yet to master it, but it does seem to reduce eye fatigue. I have had the best luck shooting my wife's M4 with a 0 power red dot. Got used to both eyes open fairly quickly.

abmears

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I am right eye dominant and generally shoot with that eye. I have tried shooting with both, but can only do it with a lot of concentration. I usually find myself reverting back to the right eye. I think it will take a lot of shooting to break the habit.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    i use the iscosceles stance, so you can really use either both eyes open or single eye......personally, for just plinking I'll use one eye(dominant eye)....just for fun, accuracy, whatever...no real need to use both (i.e. being aware of additional potential threats/targets coming into you FOV).....if I'm training or competing on some level I'll use both eyes open for "SA" because you want to know if any potential additional targets enter come up and restricting you FOV is simply not the best idea

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I shoot with both eyes open. I practice this way because I figure that if I am in a defensive situation, I don't want to be closing one eye and losing field of vision. Also because I shoot with my right hand, but am left eye dominant. I have to turn my head slightly to see the sights.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I shoot both rifles and handguns with both eyes open. I am very right eye dominant. My left eye almost "tunes out" so most all visual info comes through my right eye. It's what works for me.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Shotgun has always been both eyes open, but for some reason with pistols and rifles I feel like I have to close my non dominant eye to have any reasonable accuracy.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Both eyes open, unless I have the luxury of time and I need to make a very accurate shot.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Okay let's get a new discussion going regarding sighting......

While firing HANDGUNS do you fire with your dominate eye open and the opposite closed, weak eye open and dominate closed, or both eyes open..... AND WHY do you think that way of firing is best?

I'll start....

I shoot with both eyes open.... I have found that while sighting with both eyes open allows me for better accuracy and allows me to maintain full peripheral vision if trying to aquire a 2nd or 3rd target to engage if need be.....

I used to keep dominate eye open, other closed.

I have been training/working on shooting with both open.

Top Bottom