• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Count Blackula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    South Bend
    I am considering getting a handgun (target practice in short term, maybe OC and/or CC in the future), and I was wondering what the advantages and disadvantages of a pistol and revolver are.

Does it come down to capacity (pistol) vs ruggedness (revolver)? Obviously, some pistols hold as much or only slightly more rounds than a revolver (such as the M1911), but I'm talking in more general terms.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I would decide what the primary purpose is going to be. Target and carry typically aren't going to be the same gun. Also are you willing to make more than one purchase or is one gun going to have to do it all? I would try and shoot as many as I can get my hands on and if you are new to guns some instruction would be a good thing as well. I never have worried about auto vs wheelgun vs caliber (as long as it is a reasonable one) vs brand (as long as it is reliable). Go with what you are comfortable, confident and the most competent with. Invariably to satisfy all 3 of those things in one gun there are going to have to be some compromises (size etc). The only way to know what that is is to try as many as possible. I carry a M&P9C because that is what works best for me if my 2.5" model 19 was the best I wouldn't hesitate to carry it instead.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    If you want open carry you cannot beat a ruger 357 mag snub nose. Accurate, dependable, and powerful. so it works for both. Also no one is gonna think of attacking you with that bad boy on your hip.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I have been around pistols and revolvers most of my life, I lean very heavily toward revolvers. I have only had one failure from a revolver, shooting lead reloads, I allowed the lead to build up between the barrel and cylinder and it kept the cylinder from revolving, it was my fault, I shot way more than I cleaned. I have learned a lot since that mistake and have never had another failure in over 30 years of shooting. I've owned a lot (well over a hundred) pistols and I have sold or traded most of them without ever firing them, I can't say the same for revolvers. I find revolvers relaxing to shoot, I am very deliberate with every shot, I try to make each shot count. Pistols, I go through ammo to quickly and I spend too much time reloading magazines and picking up brass.
    There are good and bad about revolvers and pistols, pick the one that puts the biggest smile on your face, go to the range as often as you can afford, and keep your gun cleaned and oiled.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    You just have to pick the right tool for the job.

If you want to CC, maybe a little .380 P3AT or LCP in your pocket would be the right gun for you. If you're looking to OC, maybe a full-size Glock 17 or a fancy 1911? There are plenty of revolvers you could CC or OC also.

You really can't go wrong with a high quality pistol or revolver. Decide what you want to do, and find a tool that you feel most comfortable with.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Im kinda partial to the semi-auto's, but thats all I have ever had. although a snubby .357 would be nice also. I think either has its pro's an con's just depends what you like the best and what your most proficient using

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    The thing about wheelguns is when something goes wrong you are much more likely to be done until parts are replaced. I've had 3 different wheelguns stop on me (all at the range) in each case it took a new part to get it running. (One was a J frame with less than 200 rounds through it) The new autos are much better at reliablility although I would grant the wheelgun has a small edge; whatever it is put enough rounds through it to prove the gun.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    If you want open carry you cannot beat a [STRIKE]ruger[/STRIKE] S&W 357 mag snub nose. Accurate, dependable, and powerful. so it works for both. Also no one is gonna think of attacking you with that bad boy on your hip.

FIFY- :laugh::laugh::laugh: I keeed, I keeeed

To the OP, I run revolvers for everything- target, hunting, carry, etc. In fact, the only handguns I own are revolvers (specifically S&W revolvers). Why? Because they are what I know and have shot all my life. Plus, I can completely tear down a Smith, do minor gunsmithing on it, and put it all back together (even with no extra parts left over:D).

Semi platforms do typically offer more capacity. Purely because of their design they are more prone to FTE, but not enough to dissuade anyone from them, in my opinion. They typically come in calibers less powerful than revolvers can offer, unless you don't mind carrying an 8 pound Desert Eagle in 50 AE.

Revolvers are more simplistic (not simple) in their design, thus less likely to have failures, although it can happen. Their general steel construction does make them more rugged, but most quality semis are rugged as well. Unlike semis however, when a revolver fails it is a "take it in the house and break it down" issue, whereas a semi, if it fails, can usually be corrected by a rack of the slide. Revolvers as a platform offer more potent calibers, which is important really only for hunting.

Ultimately, its just about what role you want your handgun to play coupled with what fits you best as a shooter. Some guys seem made for revolvers, others for semi. Get with some friends that own both and see if they will let you run a few of each.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    FIFY- :laugh::laugh::laugh: I keeed, I keeeed

To the OP, I run revolvers for everything- target, hunting, carry, etc. In fact, the only handguns I own are revolvers (specifically S&W revolvers). Why? Because they are what I know and have shot all my life. Plus, I can completely tear down a Smith, do minor gunsmithing on it, and put it all back together (even with no extra parts left over:D).

Semi platforms do typically offer more capacity. Purely because of their design they are more prone to FTE, but not enough to dissuade anyone from them, in my opinion. They typically come in calibers less powerful than revolvers can offer, unless you don't mind carrying an 8 pound Desert Eagle in 50 AE.

Revolvers are more simplistic (not simple) in their design, thus less likely to have failures, although it can happen. Their general steel construction does make them more rugged, but most quality semis are rugged as well. Unlike semis however, when a revolver fails it is a "take it in the house and break it down" issue, whereas a semi, if it fails, can usually be corrected by a rack of the slide. Revolvers as a platform offer more potent calibers, which is important really only for hunting.

Ultimately, its just about what role you want your handgun to play coupled with what fits you best as a shooter. Some guys seem made for revolvers, others for semi. Get with some friends that own both and see if they will let you run a few of each.
    Lolz I like ruger though I have a 22 from them also.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    While there are exceptions, DA revolvers are generally safer and more reliable. A beginner would do well learning to handle a good revolver, before having to concern oneself with loaded and unloaded chambers, failures to feed and/or eject, manual safeties, grip safeties, trigger safeties - get the drift. :twocents:

That said, if you learn with a semi-auto and become proficient with it, then that may be a better choice.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Boy... don't I feel like a dunce...

All along I thought both my revolvers and my semi auto handguns were pistols..... little did I know that my revolvers aren't pistols at all!?!:n00b:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    In the end it is up to you. I love revolvers but do not own one. I simply do not want to spend the time training myself to learn it as well as I have my autos. I've watched sbcman shoot and he ain't kidding when he says he knows his way around a revolver. But, whatever you choose you need to understand each platforms limitations and train with that weapon like your life depends on it because it just may.

If you carry it, no matter auto or wheel gun, train with it and train some more! I would personally recommend an auto for a number of reasons but don't want to start a huge debate over the virtues of one type over another. Just train with it and learn it inside and out if you are ever going to carry it.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Good advice so far. I will add that for the most part Semi-autos are thinner than revolvers. There are of course exceptions, a five shot revolver may be a bit thinner than a full size semi auto. Try and figure out what you want the gun to be and go from there. Also, you will probably end up with more than one of each anyway. So it is only a matter of where you start:)

theoko

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    well personally they both have a special place in my heart. Semi's have extended magazine capacity, easier reloading, and better trigger pull capabilities. Revolvers have better reliability, old school design, and are generally more affordable. I think no one should just have one or the either, but both. If you can only get one though for now, I would say go for the semi and then a revolver later on.

Takashi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Indy Northside
    I think you definitely get more bang-for-your-buck (no pun intended) going with a revolver. I love S&Ws.

Hold lots, see what you like the feel of in your hand. I love the feel of a nice smooth DA 357. There is definitely something to be said about elegance in simplicity.

But hell, I own a glock too. and a .22 pistol..need a .22 revolver now that I think of it :D

Count Blackula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    South Bend
    I would decide what the primary purpose is going to be. Target and carry typically aren't going to be the same gun. Also are you willing to make more than one purchase or is one gun going to have to do it all?
    That's true. Considering that I already have two rifles (and am wanting to add a shotgun or two eventually), I'm sure I'd buy multiple handguns in the future. What handgun calibers have cheap (in price) ammo?

Hell yes, I want to carry a golden Desert Eagle like in Call of Duty!!!!11 :): But in all seriousness, pistols are prone to jams? Or only if they aren't maintained well?

While there are exceptions, DA revolvers are generally safer and more reliable. A beginner would do well learning to handle a good revolver, before having to concern oneself with loaded and unloaded chambers, failures to feed and/or eject, manual safeties, grip safeties, trigger safeties - get the drift. :twocents:

That said, if you learn with a semi-auto and become proficient with it, then that may be a better choice.
    Yeah, single action is where you have to manually pull back the hammer for each shot, right? And double action does it with a pull of the trigger?

And like a bunch of you suggested, I'd love to try out handguns for myself, but I'd have to rent them. I know Midwest Gun and Range has rentals; are there any other ranges and/or shops near South Bend that do something similar?

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I like the semi-auto for self-defense, cause it has more ammo, thinner is easier to conceal, The revolver i like cause you can get MAGNUM power in a small package, shoot mild loads that would make a semi-auto jam

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom