• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paul Gomez

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Thought you guys might find this humorous. It is a response to some of the questions and comments generated by my earlier video, 9mm vs .45ACP, AGAIN!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42-hok8IjQQ[/ame]

here's the original video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dA36NYLqns[/ame]

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    Having worked in several gunshoppes, it always cracked me up when folks would look at .380 ACP pocket pistols and want to talk stopping power. I'd tell them, if you want stopping power, a 1oz 12 gauge slug is your best bet.... Always got the stink-eye with that comment.

But, what the hell do I know....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I will only say we have done our own testing and the .45 ACP hits harder, does more damage and goes "Boom" way louder than a 9MM. We repeated these tests today at the Vigo Co. meet and shoot. Same results. .45 ACP destroys stuff, hands down. That said, I do not want to be shot with a 9MM as it would hurt like hell and could kill me.

I am sure there will be those among you with your own story's and opinions. I can only say, bring your 9MM and we will go to the range to ring some steel. A good time will be had but I will be proven right.

Enjoy, carry on.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    I remember a buddy brought some "bulletproof" glass (Lexan??) out to the range one day. He shot it from about 7 yds with 9mm Cor-Bon 115gr JHP. The bullet just bored a neat little hole through the glass. He shot it a couple places, same results.

I shot it from 7 yds with .45 HST, and the "glass" broke into 4 large pieces (on my first shot).

Don't know what it really proved, but we laughed our butts off.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Well said.If you think that a 9mm is not powerful enough then grab a rifle or shotgun, not a .45 or another pistol caliber.
    Not to mention that shot placement is the most important, a .22LR to the head will kill where a 44 magnum to the leg will only wound.

Paul Gomez

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    I'm reminded of the words of Greg Hamilton talking about gut shots. Something along the lines of 'We've all heard about how painful gut shots are. I'm pretty sure having your heart blown through your spine hurts like a *****, too. Problem is, no one is alive afterwards to let us know.'

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I remember a buddy brought some "bulletproof" glass (Lexan??) out to the range one day. He shot it from about 7 yds with 9mm Cor-Bon 115gr JHP. The bullet just bored a neat little hole through the glass. He shot it a couple places, same results.

I shot it from 7 yds with .45 HST, and the "glass" broke into 4 large pieces (on my first shot).

It's the thickness of Lexan that gives it it's resistence.....same goes for just about any type of armor....even rounds in a vest go through about 10 layers of Kevlar

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Like I said, a good time will be had.
    We were using a large dueling tree. It was set with 3 red and 3 yellow plates.
    I was using .45 ACP and most everyone else was shooting nice 9MM pistols in every make and size. Most but not all would ring and move the plate a bit but they would not flip around. My hits would flip the plates and 3 times they knocked the plates off the tree. We laughed our butts off and kept shooting. Great time.

The 9MM carry's a lot of velocity but the .45 carry's the mass. Still do not want to be on the receiving end of either.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I remember when James Bond upgraded from his .32 to .380.

M told him it had a "delivery like a brick through a plate glass window."

I don't think you need anything more than that.

Paul Gomez

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    I remember when James Bond upgraded from his .32 to .380.

M told him it had a "delivery like a brick through a plate glass window."

I don't think you need anything more than that.

Actually, that was when he upgraded from his .25 Beretta to his .32 Walther.:rockwoot:

parsimonious

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    SE IN
    I have read alot of these discussions, and reports, what I have gathered is
    that handguns suck. They are the compact cars compared to freight trains,
    freight trains being something akin to a .50 bmg. No one needs a train to
    pick up a new pair of pants.

Well which handgun sucks the least?

The one that functions most reliably, that YOU are able to hit stuff with.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    You know what the best gun is? The one you have in your hand when the flag goes up. I would take a pellet gun over a rock any day. I would take a 9mm over a .25 ACP anyday. I would take my .45 ACP over my 9mm Makarov in a heart beat. But, I would be greatful for any gun in my hand if the chips were down.

speedsix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    fort wayne
    I did my own testing in wet phone books. 9mm vs .45acp.

I learned a lot from it and suggest everyone do a little testing on there own just so they know what their carry ammo is like. FMJ 9mm is nothing like hollow point 9mm. They preform totally different.

FMJ 9mm has a lot of penetration which is great in some situations and not great in others. 9mm in either FMJ or JHP will penetrat better than .45 fmj or jhp. Just a fact.

A good JHP 9mm will expand and penetrat well. 9mm has higher velocity than .45 so expands much more reliably. .45 starts off wide so if it doesnt expand, it doesn't matter as much.

I used to carry a .45acp but now i carry a 9mm because the 9mm seems to do more with less. The 9mm is about half the size of a .45 cartridge yet my tests showed little difference. 9mm seems to out preform it's size. .45 seems to under preform.

In the real world I dont think there is much of a difference. I pick the 9mm because of:
    Reduced recoil
    Higher capacity for same size
    Easier to hit with
    Faster follow up shots
    Cheap practice ammo
    Vast ammo choice
    Smaller, more compact guns in general
    Better penetration
    Higher velocity means more shock
    Seems to do the job well enough

parsimonious

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    SE IN
    I just realized what the difference is between the 1911 and the hi cap 9mm's.

The 1911's have a 100 year tradition of sucking.;)

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I did my own testing in wet phone books. 9mm vs .45acp.

I learned a lot from it and suggest everyone do a little testing on there own just so they know what their carry ammo is like. FMJ 9mm is nothing like hollow point 9mm. They preform totally different.

FMJ 9mm has a lot of penetration which is great in some situations and not great in others. 9mm in either FMJ or JHP will penetrat better than .45 fmj or jhp. Just a fact.

A good JHP 9mm will expand and penetrat well. 9mm has higher velocity than .45 so expands much more reliably. .45 starts off wide so if it doesnt expand, it doesn't matter as much.

I used to carry a .45acp but now i carry a 9mm because the 9mm seems to do more with less. The 9mm is about half the size of a .45 cartridge yet my tests showed little difference. 9mm seems to out preform it's size. .45 seems to under preform.

In the real world I dont think there is much of a difference. I pick the 9mm because of:
    Reduced recoil
    Higher capacity for same size
    Easier to hit with
    Faster follow up shots
    Cheap practice ammo
    Vast ammo choice
    Smaller, more compact guns in general
    Better penetration
    Higher velocity means more shock
    Seems to do the job well enough

If I was concerned with the best penetrations, I'd get a 10mm...I prefer the 45 acp for its higher mass and less penetrations. I do not want the bullet to exit the perp and cause collateral damage.

Top Bottom