• Total voters

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    Pit Bull Puppy-Yay or Nay?- UPDATE page 5

My wife has been wanting a dog for a bit and we now have a chance to take home a male pit bull puppy. I prefer smaller dogs, but I know pits aren't particularly huge, so I'm not completely opposed. My concern is that we have a 16 mo old son, and I know the dog will grow to maturity before he will. I have had dogs before, albeit smaller ones with less of a reputation, so I know about how much work a dog is. My wife has not had any dogs before, but she wants one very badly. She of course cannot stand small dogs, and would only settle for medium sized or larger. She and my son stay home during weekdays, I am gone most of the day at work, but am home weekends, and weekdays after 4:30 or so. Since I have no experience with the breed, I am asking those of you who do what I should expect, and if this is a good or bad idea. We will have the dog neutered immediately, which I would imagine would cut down on any sort of aggressive behavior a bit. I greatly appreciate any feedback.

bccac1fc.jpg

Last edited:

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    It's the training not the dog or the breed. I am always in favor of getting a young dog from a shelter. I always get a dog that is 1-2 years old that is already housebroken. I'm just lazy that way. I have a beagle I got that way and she couldn't be a better dog. All I had to do was learn her signals that its "time to go". If you are ok with housebreaking and training your pup, then by all means go with it. I just like for someone else to do the hard work so I can enjoy the fun part.

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    You are nuts if you bring a pit bull into your house with a kid. Pits are not trustworthy and you'll be putting your loved ones lives at stake. Sure you may he one of the lucky people who never have any behavior issues with your pit but why chance it? Get a Lab if you want an awesome family pet. Extremely intelligent and loyal and very versatile. For something smaller and with less shedding go with a Boston Terrier. Very smart, easy to train, loyal and very fun for kids.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    You are nuts if you bring a pit bull into your house with a kid. Pits are not trustworthy and you'll be putting your loved ones lives at stake. Sure you may he one of the lucky people who never have any behavior issues with your pit but why chance it? Get a Lab if you want an awesome family pet. Extremely intelligent and loyal and very versatile. For something smaller and with less shedding go with a Boston Terrier. Very smart, easy to train, loyal and very fun for kids.

You might as well say that about having guns in the house also!

The media and **** poor owners have given the breed a very bad rep. Pits are not people viscous by nature its owners that make them that way.

All three of my children from birth have been raised around pits. They now are in their late teens early twenties so its not a case of the "one lucky pit". Pits do require a strong owner as they are very strong willed. Teach them young and show them who is boss and you will not have issues.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY

The media and **** poor owners have given the breed a very bad rep. Pits are not people viscous by nature its owners that make them that way.

All three of my children from birth have been raised around pits. They now are in their late teens early twenties so its not a case of the "one lucky pit". Pits do require a strong owner as they are very strong willed. Teach them young and show them who is boss and you will not have issues.

So much this, it hurts. A Pit raised in a non-abusive home with no training to be aggressive will be one of the most loving, mushable housepets you can own. By nature, all they want to do is play. Ever see a pit without it's tail docked? The thing never, ever stops wagging.

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    I agree 100%. The Pit Bull Terrier was the mascot dog for our country in WWII. Each breed has had it's labeled bad breed days, 80's Doberman, 90's Rottie and today the Pit Bull. I could go on for hours on the breed history. I will simply say that I ONLY trust a well bred Pit Bull around my children. They were bred for a high pain tolerance competition. People biters were not tolerated at all. Think about it, these fights had a ref that would pull a stuck lip from the biting dogs mouth. The media and LE have labeled this breed to be a monster. Anything with a block head or brindle in color if it attacks someone it is labeled a Pit Bull. WHat I don't trust about the breed is the mixed with Pit Bull dogs. You can't put a people protection breed in with a dog with the physical capabilities of a Pit Bull.

To answer your Post Jesse. You get what you pay for. I would suggest if you are going after a Pit Bull to look into a registered pup by a reputable breeder.

I have had them all my adult life. My boy is 16 years old. When he goes it will be the saddest day of my life.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    You know, I'm on the fence about this one. We own a Great Dane and she's awesome. I'm a dog lover.

However, I don't think it's just "the media and **** poor owners" that give pits their reputation. There are **** poor owners of EVERY breed of dog. Why isn't the media all over about the renegade GSD or Great Danes? There is something there, but I'm not sure about it. I would definitely want to research it a lot further before I brought one to a home with a toddler. Since you're asking here, I'd say you need to research it further.

I'm also not trying to disrespect pits or their owners. I've known some great ones. But I do think there is more to it than just media and owners.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I agree 100%. The Pit Bull Terrier was the mascot dog for our country in WWII. Each breed has had it's labeled bad breed days, 80's Doberman, 90's Rottie and today the Pit Bull. I could go on for hours on the breed history. I will simply say that I ONLY trust a well bred Pit Bull around my children. They were bred for a high pain tolerance competition. People biters were not tolerated at all. Think about it, these fights had a ref that would pull a stuck lip from the biting dogs mouth. The media and LE have labeled this breed to be a monster. Anything with a block head or brindle in color if it attacks someone it is labeled a Pit Bull. WHat I don't trust about the breed is the mixed with Pit Bull dogs. You can't put a people protection breed in with a dog with the physical capabilities of a Pit Bull.

To answer your Post Jesse. You get what you pay for. I would suggest if you are going after a Pit Bull to look into a registered pup by a reputable breeder.

I have had them all my adult life. My boy is 16 years old. When he goes it will be the saddest day of my life.

Yea that, just make sure its a well bred pit, not a crossbreed, pits are bred to be dog aggressive with a high pain tolerence, also bred to be nonaggressive to humans.
    Have had german sheperds for years, also have experience with most working breeds, would probably trust a well bred american pit, staffordshire terrier or my favorite the stafforshire bull terrier(better known as the nanny dog) around kids before the others, also be aware every dog has its own personality, just like humans.

sshelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    ECI / New Castle

Guns kill people and pencils mispell words... its sad that so many people have this misconseption of this breed!

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    My pit is the best dog I've ever had. Very tolerant of little ones climbing, hugging, pulling, and laying on her. The only issue I've ever had with mine is she gets so excited about seeing people she crashes into them - could potentially knock little ones down.

On the other hand I had a black lab in the house when my son was born - he was a great dog, but didn't like kids. He snapped at my son once - just once, and was never in the house again.

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Have had a staffordshire bull terrier for years, who is an AKC Canine Good Citizen. I couldn't ask for a better dog, particularly around my kids. The key is to get them young, select carefully for temperament, train and socialize thoroughly (in my opinion, if you're not training every day for a total of a few hours a week for the first couple years, you're not doing enough), and recognize that you will probably always have dog-dog aggression issues to deal with. If you do those things, the result will be a dog that comes as close as any animal can come to being trustworthy around your kids.

For that reasons, your poll options are kind of incomplete. You won't necessarily be "fine" if you get a pit puppy, but you will be fine if you take the time to get the right puppy and raise it right. And that goes for whatever breed you choose.

I'd much rather have a well-trained pit around my kids than most breeds of smaller dogs. I don't know how many times I've heard someone say "Oh, don't worry, he just nips a little" about some rat dog while it menaces me. This happened one time while I was walking my staffie. I said, "Mine doesn't nip at all. But she does kill animals that nip me a little." That owner retrieved her little rat dog in a hurry . . . ."

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    My buddy had a Pit, she was a big baby. But how old is this puppy, and has it had any kids around?

This puppy is 8 or 9 weeks, and has been around young children the entire time. The current owners say it's full pit and the mother and father are nonaggressive to people. Thanks for the feedback guys, this is exactly what I'm looking for; both sides.

Bullfrog80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    Terre Haute
    I voted get another breed, but not because a pit would be a bad dog. Just because I love Dobies so much.... Since you have had dogs before and know the work they involve, if your up for it you should be fine regardless of breed.

Bflo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    [FONT=&quot]I think by asking the question, you answered it yourself. There are plenty of other breeds that don’t have (rightly or wrongly) aggressive reputations. Why risk your son, when there are so many other options?
    [/FONT]

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    YOu might want to check your city and county regulations. Several in Northern Indiana have passed ordinances on owning pit bulls. If you are allowed to own them, you have to have specific insurance, special licensing, etc.

JohnE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My son has a pit /boxer mix. Never had any problems around people or kids. He wasn't raised around kids but the only thing he wants to do when the grandkids come around is lick them to death. If he's playing when they're around he never has gotten rough with them. He usually steers clear of them when he is. He's a big baby. I would own another one if he should pass and I decided to get another dog. Since the pup has been around kids I don't think you'll have any problems. My 2 cents.

Top Bottom