• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmmyers08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Danville
    I have had my 2 dogs for almost 3 yrs now. 1 pit mix and 1 full blood doberman. they get along great and have never had any real issues with either of them. So my wife and i decided we want to rescue another pitbull from a shelter or rescue center. i rescued my mix but she was not in a shelter she was abandonded in a house and we found her. So i am just now finding out how big a pain in the ass this adoption process can be. 12 page questionaires, applications, home vistis, rules and restrictions...i guess im wanting to know y they make is so hard. i had one shelter tell me i could not adopt at all from them because my male doby isnt neutered. i was askin about a male pit who is neutered and my female is spayed, so who cares. are all shelters and rescue centers this way? the people that work at these places act as if they would rather let the dog be put down then ever be allowed into my house. i have a fenced back yard and all my dogs sleep in my bed with me and get all the attention and love they could ever want or need. so y is this entire process to hard? and what do i have to do to best help my self get through this whole thing with a successful adoption?

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    They just want to make sure that you know what to expect when you get dog and that you know how to care for it. The rescues and Humane Societies will keep the animals as long as needed to find them a home. They want to see your house to see the fence and how your current dogs behave. Maybe even want your dogs to meet the new one to make sure they aren't aggressive towards each other. They want the animal you are adopting to be in its forever home and are doing their due diligence. And I imagine that's especially true with the pitbulls given the negative attention they attract. I know that the Humane Society for Hamilton County wants all the critters in the home fixed before they let you take one home.

If the stumbling block is getting your dog fixed, then why don't you get him fixed? There's enough homeless pets in the world that he doesn't need to accidentally create a few more, right? If he has champion bloodlines and you're studding him out, then I guess that maybe adopting from one of those organizations may not be for you right now.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Man I hear ya. I be they have just drove you nuts with the rules and such. However given the rep of bread they are trying to make sure all of the negative stuff that you hear about is not caused by a dog they gave you.

That dog is beautiful. Jump through the hoops and give that baby a good home. After the process is over it will not seem that bad. Well at least after a year or so. :)

DaveL

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Lafayette
    I TOTALLY agree. It seems at times the goal of the shelter is to adopt as few dogs as possible. Why would euthanizing be better than almost all adoptions? I respect that they don't want them to go somewhere to become a bait dog, etc. I also know that they get way too many dogs returned for all kinds of reasons and they try to avoid that!

But, that is a great looking dog and I also urge you to do what it takes to prove you are responsible and not getting the dog for bad purposes. I also respect the hell out of you for rescuing a dog!

I have adopted from the Hamilton County Humane Society and put them at the top of my list of great shelters. They truly want their dogs to be adopted (to good homes). They did not make jump through hoops and their fees were ridiculously low. I later found out they are ranked as one of the best shelters nationally. They are also a no0kill shelter.

bmmyers08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Danville
    I get wanting them to go to the best home possible. i understand y they do it all it just seems to me that they have made it harder than it has to be. and the rule about havin all the animals in the house fixed really irritated me. i guess im just bothered that they would rather let the dog sit in a shelter for god knows how much longer than even lettin us give it a try. i know it wouldnt be a problem. my dogs are very well behaved. its just a hard thing to watch a dog i want to help get told no over a rule like that. hopefully everything starts to move in a positive direction in the near future though.

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    I want that dog, bmmeyer! He's cute :)

Go thru the paper work, do what ya gotta do and save that dogs life.

Nothing more important than that.

If you won't I will.

My dogs been dead three years now and I'm thinking it's time to save another one :)

Wish I could save em all.

bmmyers08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Danville
    I want that dog, bmmeyer! He's cute :)

Go thru the paper work, do what ya gotta do and save that dogs life.

Nothing more important than that.

If you won't I will.

My dogs been dead three years now and I'm thinking it's time to save another one :)

Wish I could save em all.
    I am workin on gettin as fast as i can...my wife and i are goin to the shelter tomorrow to see whats goin on for sure and have our first visit. if we arent able to have a successful adoption then i will for sure post it on here and let people know they should go get him. cross your fingers and hope for the best!

El Guero

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2011
    Nw Indiana
    they may ask you to bring your current dogs to the shelter to introduce them and see if they get along, they make me do that once i adopted my second dog, if they do not get along you will not get it, but i had adopted like 5 dogs from the shelter before and never had house inspection.

your current dogs do not have to be fix, but the addoptee must be, the aplicatiuon is simple and they just want to male sure you provide situable place and that the dog will not be a bite dog for you current pit.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    Thats a god looking pup ;) Hope you can get him. My opinion is changing about pits slowly but surely after some negative instances in the past. Will be su[prised if I dont wind up with one eventually. Hopefully he will be "HOME" for Christmas :)

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I don't get it either. We tried to find a place that would take in an abandoned Pit, and they were all full up, because they had a hard time finding homes for the dogs.

Kind of self fulfilling if you ask me.

bmmyers08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Danville
    talked to the people that have him today. they said we had to neuter my doby...so he has an appointment set for the 22. they said if we do this their shouldnt be a problem moving forward. now we have to take our 2 pups to meet the new guy and then we shall see whats next.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    talked to the people that have him today. they said we had to neuter my doby...so he has an appointment set for the 22. they said if we do this their shouldnt be a problem moving forward. now we have to take our 2 pups to meet the new guy and then we shall see whats next.

Hope it all works out for you. I understand that these shelters want to make sure that they're sending their dogs to good homes but the process was such a pita to adopt that I just ended up buying a pup from a breeder. I don't understand the big deal with spaying/neutering. If you control your dog why does it matter? Good luck with the new pup.

LFD102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Brownsburg
    I use to work with a pit bull rescue and they get picky trying to protect the bread from getting bad PR but its worth going through all the BS they are great dogs I have 2

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Hope it all works out for you. I understand that these shelters want to make sure that they're sending their dogs to good homes but the process was such a pita to adopt that I just ended up buying a pup from a breeder. I don't understand the big deal with spaying/neutering. If you control your dog why does it matter? Good luck with the new pup.

There is a worry with many rescues/shelters and putting bully breeds into homes with other dogs that aren't fixed. It isn't just about future puppies, some are worried about possible aggression issues and yes, it does sort of make sense when you're trying to put dogs into good homes and put out a better image of the breeds. Unless you crate, kennel, or have another way of separating multiple dogs while not home, you can't always be there to control them.

bmmyers08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Danville
    so i found out a little while ago that the dog i was goin to adopt was claimed by his original owners. which is good that he got his home back but sucks for me! oh well...im happy for him. so now im goin to go adopt a dog that prolly doesnt have anyone lookin for them. so this is my success post in a sense. now im excited i get to help a dog that doesnt have that opportunity. wish me luck!

Top Bottom