• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BK1962

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    North Liberty
    I have a lot of questions and no experience with this...I'd like to be able to draw water in the event the municipal supply is interupted.

I still have the old well stubbed up in my basement that was used prior to municipal water. There is no ordinance against using it as long as it's not plumbed into the house. I can get water on a string at 22 or so feet. I put a pitcher pump on it and tried to draw water but it gets very hard to pump the handle. I wonder if anyone knows if that's because I'm trying to lift water that far or could the screen be clogged?

If the screen is clogged what can be done? Can you pull the pipe in a basement? Will acid be safe indoors? Should you cap it or onot if you use acid?

Short of calling a well guy in to do this. Can anyone reccomend a source for learning about this?
    Thanks
    BK

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    This from E-how site:

Sounds like you are right on the point of no return at that depth. Don't forget to add the height of the pump above ground level.

Pitcher Pump

• Pitcher pumps create a vacuum within the well that pulls water from the well into the pitcher pump's drop-pipe and up through the pump. The drop pipe is 25 to 30 feet long and bolted to the ground at the top of the well. Otherwise, the area at the top of the well is closed off. Pitcher pumps only work with shallow wells, and though some models may allow water to be pumped from depths of 5 to 10 feet deeper, most pitcher pumps can pull water from a depth of 20 feet at the most. The pump is worked manually -- usually by pumping the handle, though some models have a foot-pedal instead.

Read more: What Kind of Pump Do You Need to Pull Water Out of a Shallow Well? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8767331_kind-water-out-shallow-well.html#ixzz2LvWlgXDb

BK1962

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    North Liberty
    Thanks for the info caneman. I will have to check to see what the pump is rated for. The well is stubbed only a foot above the floor. The pump adds a foot or so to the overall length.

Sticks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    NE Indy
    If you get a good pump for your well, could you post what brand and where you got it. Our well is hooked to an outside spigot only (the rest of the house is on city water) and we are interested in a hand pump. Until then, I found that using a 400W inverter plugged into the car lighter will operate our 110V pump long enough to refill the water barrels.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Have you tried priming the pitcher pump..can you? A local scout camp had one that required priming to create suction.

BK1962

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    North Liberty
    Thanks again to all for the info. And yes I prime it and create suction. But it gets so much suction you can't pump the handle down to draw water. That's why I asked if it could be the length I'm drawing from or a clogged screen.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Try The Bison hand pump website.They also have deep well hand pumps.You should be able to use the standard size.
    Bison pumps have a spectacular reputation... they are worth the money in most case...

That being said, almost any non-suction type pump from a reputable manufacturer should work.

Top Bottom