Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    NRA-ILALogo.GIF

·11250 Waples Mill Road · Fairfax, Virginia 22030 ·800-392-8683

Outrage Of The Week: "Safest for everybody?" Pizza Hut punishes employee for defending himself Friday, April 04, 2008 “The incident wasn’t something quick and simple. ... It was a long ordeal…my life was, without a doubt, in danger.”

On the night of March 27, 2008, Pizza Hut deliveryman James Spiers of Des Moines, Iowa was delivering pizzas--just as he had many times before over the past 10 years. He walked into an apartment complex thinking he was making another routine delivery, but found himself in a battle for his life: he had been set up by a “customer” who had lured him into the complex by pretending to order the pizza over the phone, but who had an armed accomplice waiting in ambush.

Spiers soon found himself trapped in a hallway with a gun to his head, his assailant demanding money. “Without a doubt,” he said, “my life was in extreme danger.”

The thug (who, not surprisingly, has a long list of prior arrests) thought he had the upper hand. Fortunately, Mr. Spiers has a valid concealed carry permit, and was carrying a pistol for personal protection at the time of the attack. He struggled with his attacker and managed to draw his own firearm. He shot the assailant, who fled the scene but was later arrested after he sought medical treatment.

Unfortunately, that’s not the end of the story. As a result of his actions, Mr. Spiers, a single father trying to make an honest living, was suspended from his job by his employer, Pizza Hut. That’s right. A man who, as a result of doing his job, was forced into a life-threatening situation, defended himself, and whose actions helped take a career criminal off the street, was deprived of his livelihood. Pizza Hut suspended James Spiers for defending his life.

Vonnie Walbert, vice president of human resources at Pizza Hut, said, “We have a policy against carrying weapons. We prohibit employees from carrying guns because we believe that that is the safest for everybody.”

“Safest for everybody?” This inane policy certainly makes things safer for criminals, like the one who attacked Spiers. But it does nothing to aid the safety of Pizza Hut’s employees. Every night, hardworking deliverymen and women must do their job in potentially dangerous areas. In fact, their jobs are statistically among the most dangerous in the nation. Yet Pizza Hut would deprive them of self-protection.

Thankfully, people are taking notice. Spiers has said that he has been “overwhelmed by support from people who cheered what happened,” including Iowa state senator Brad Zaun (R-32), who noted, “If I was in a situation to protect my family, protect myself, to continue being a father, I would’ve done the same thing. What I want everybody to know…is that there [are] people out there supporting this man and his right to defend himself. I’m going to be watching Pizza Hut.”

To voice your outrage over Pizza Hut’s disciplinary decision, please contact the Corporate Offices by phone at (800) 948-8488, or by e-mail at this webpage: http://www.pizzahut.com/contactus/ContactUsForm.aspx?l1=2024.
    This corporate policy is outrageous.
    Find this item at: NRA-ILA :: Legislation

J

jerbur6

i sent pizza hut an email when this first happened and they was supposed to reply to it. i let them know they lost my business. i havent heard a word from them so there is another company on my do not call list.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I too sent Pizza Hut an e-mail in opposition to their policy. Recommended they encourage their managers and delivery drivers to carry legally and advertise that fact. I'm sure it would reduct the number of robberies for stores and deliveries. Their current policy notifies the BG's that there will be no resistance at Pizza Hut. Maybe a good law abiding customer will save them. Same for the Fishers Bank. One legelly armed citizen could have changed the whole story.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Indy
    I sympathise for the guy, but why didn't the NRA help the guy here in Indy when Pizza Hut canned him for the same thing? Unless I'm mistaken and they did. If not, I hate to say it, but I'm offended they're sticking up for this guy and not the one here in town a few years ago.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I will call Pizza Hut tomorrow morning. I simply will not order from them again either. Their pizza is awful anyways!

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I will call Pizza Hut tomorrow morning. I simply will not order from them again either. Their pizza is awful anyways!

Bingo. Their pizza sucks anyways. Same goes for Absolut vodka. I boycotted both companies long ago, not because of some they did, but because their product just plain sucks.

campbellrex

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    many people believe that you shouldnt defend yourself....i guess they just like to be the victim :xmad:
    i think it's the employers are afraid thet will be suied for the employees actions, pizza hut is not the only company with unfair polices:dunno: rex

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    i sent pizza hut an email when this first happened and they was supposed to reply to it. i let them know they lost my business. i havent heard a word from them so there is another company on my do not call list.

I'm doing the same right now... I've had pizza hut twice this week... never again though.

skigun75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Indiana
    I am also a frequent vistor of the Hut. Just sent them a sternly worded Dear John letter. I expect they will change their policy now.:lmfao:

And they just launched that new line of pasta.....Damn

Top Bottom