• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • prduke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Noblesville
    Hey guys. New to gun ownership. But have a question. Are there places that I should avoid for buying ammo? is Walmart a decent place to get ammo? looking for cheap 9MM to plink with, but would like something "better" for home defense. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Hey guys. New to gun ownership. But have a question. Are there places that I should avoid for buying ammo? is Walmart a decent place to get ammo? looking for cheap 9MM to plink with, but would like something "better" for home defense. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Wal-mart is okay for target ammo. I use Winchester White Box or Federal 115 gr from Wal-Mart when I'm out of my reloads. They both run fine through my XD and M&P. I'm using Winchester PDX1 for carry. No issues.

I'm sure the consensus will be to stay away from Don's Guns.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County

Thanks!

Yes, Walmart is a decent place to get ammo, but you will be hard pressed to find anything "better" at Walmart. They usually only sell FMJ ammo and only from one or two different manufacturers. Your local gunshop should have FMJ as well as hollowpoint ammo available, and usually from more than just one or two manufacturers. Walmart will usually beat them in pricing, but that is the nature of the game when Walmart buys product by the semi-truck load.

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    Just for 9mm range rounds I recommend Federal 115 grain FMJ.... walmart has boxes of 50 for like $11..... they are fine for just plinking with..... also check Gander Mountain when the sales are going on..... For my carry rounds I buy 147 grain Remington Golden Saber hollow points and they normally run about $22 for a box of 25 at Pop's Guns.... :welcome: 2 :ingo: :draw: :draw:

kcwolf200

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Lafayette
    I also use Winchester White Box 9mm from Walmart when I need more brass to reload. It's called Winchester White box because it's Winchester ammo and is in a white box of 100 rounds. Been a while since I bought some, but I think it runs around $20 and great for target practice.

For self defense ammo, you'll need to go to a good gun shop or buy online. Speer Gold Dot and Corbon in hollow point are good brands to go with.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Also, keep an eye on Orscheln's and Rural King for plinking/target ammo. They don't have a very big selection, but they come close to Walmart in prices for this type of ammo and sometimes run specials.

J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    I also use Winchester White Box 9mm from Walmart when I need more brass to reload. It's called Winchester White box because it's Winchester ammo and is in a white box of 100 rounds. Been a while since I bought some, but I think it runs around $20 and great for target practice.

For self defense ammo, you'll need to go to a good gun shop or buy online. Speer Gold Dot and Corbon in hollow point are good brands to go with.

Went to Walmart today and bought several boxes of .40SW and 9MM today. The .40 was $28.XX for 100 rounds Winchester White Box and the 9MM was $23.XX for 100 Rounds Winchester White Box.

Oh, and Federal .22LR is $18.88 per brick of 550 rounds :rockwoot:

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Don't forget to check out Profire Arms and Supply. Andrew has target ammo in bulk or by the box and will load just about anything you want as far as projectiles. If you bring him your brass he will discount your ammo too. Check him out, he is a Site Supporter and is local.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    For just shooting, wal-mart is usually a pretty cheep place. I actually found Remington/UMC 9mm hollow points at the one in Anderson, and the price was still reasonable. Gander Mt. is OK, but usually grossly overpriced unless they have something on sale, and even then, for as big as the store is, their selection is not that great (unless you are looking for shotgun ammo). I usually buy hollow points online, but lately Big R has been pretty good about having Gold Dots on the shelf, and if its on sale, the price is usually as good or better than the prices you see online for the 20 rd boxes.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Don't forget to check out Profire Arms and Supply. Andrew has target ammo in bulk or by the box and will load just about anything you want as far as projectiles. If you bring him your brass he will discount your ammo too. Check him out, he is a Site Supporter and is local.

Doc beat me to it.... I've had better performance out of my gun with Pro-fire than any of the name brand stuff. I have yet to have a single problem from any reloads, and I use the same components he uses in my reloads.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Walmart and Rural King here have good prices for range ammo. Whatever you do, do not buy ammo from Gander Mountain. Unless you first lube you bottom quarters before buying!

bboffard

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2011
    Bloomington
    Anyone in Southern Indiana looking for great reloading supplies IE a dillion or dillion supplies!? Go to Bite the Bullet in seymour Indiana - Bob Trueblood has got the works for the best price around!!!!

Top Bottom