• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    How would you feel if one of the speeches given at your son's high school graduation commencement was blatantly plagiarized? In fact the speech came from an oft forwarded e mail that has been going around the internet for quite some time. No mention of the source was given and the speech was related as if it had happened to the speaker. There is more to this story and I will share but would like some initial feed back first.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    How would you feel if one of the speeches given at your son's high school graduation commencement was blatantly plagiarized? In fact the speech came from an oft forwarded e mail that has been going around the internet for quite some time. No mention of the source was given and the speech was related as if it had happened to the speaker. There is more to this story and I will share but would like some initial feed back first.
    Its graduation, let it be. It will bite them in college if they try it.

*I assume this was a student, however if it was faculty call them out in the most embarrassing fashion

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

The only thing I'd worry about is if the speech was short or not.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    High School graduation speeches rarely make sense and are never original.

Your son's graduation speech was plagiarized, when I graduated our speech made no sense. I think the speaker was drunk, she rambled on and on, and I started to fall asleep. I sat next to one of the smartest kids in my class, and when she was done I asked him what her speech was about, he had no clue.

It happens, it's high school, maybe you should e-mail the person who gave the speech and call them out on it privately.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    This was done by the Dr Brian Smith, Superintendent of Schools for Hamilton Southeastern. Not just a line or two by the way the majority was read word for word from a popular blog post/e mail titled "Memories of growing up in the '40's and '50's"

I am really beside myself with disdane for this man. To begin with the speech made no sense and did not fit the situation. Are we telling our children that it's okay to use other people's work without credit? Was he just too lazy to write something himself? Did he truly think that with the information available today that nobody would find out? It was discovered less than 12 hours after he made the speech.

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    This was done by the Dr Brian Smith, Superintendent of Schools for Hamilton Southeastern. Not just a line or two by the way the majority was read word for word from a popular blog post/e mail titled "Memories of growing up in the '40's and '50's"

I am really beside myself with disdane for this man. To begin with the speech made no sense and did not fit the situation. Are we telling our children that it okay to use other peoples work without credit? Was he just too lazy to write something himself? Did he truly think that with the informatin available today that nobody would find out? It was discovered less than 12 hours after he made the speech.

I think I will be double-checking the essays submitted by students from that school. ;)

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

I am really beside myself with disdane for this man. To begin with the speech made no sense and did not fit the situation. Are we telling our children that it's okay to use other people's work without credit? Was he just too lazy to write something himself? Did he truly think that with the information available today that nobody would find out? It was discovered less than 12 hours after he made the speech.

I'd say in this culture he's on his way to being revered and honored, may be even get a holiday named after him.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    So I take it the opinion is just let it go? I just really feel that this joker is leaving these kids with the completely wrong message.

LOL, it's a little late now to worry about the messege he's sending. It's all over now.

I'm pretty fed up with public education at this point and my children have all been out of high school for 10 years or so by now but I still regularly run in to the "results" of what a high school diploma has become. It's nearly useless and meaningless it's been devalued so low in order to graduate people with the lowest amount of effort possible.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I think you should let the local newspaper know about it, maybe buy him a little public embarrassment. Probably won't work, but couldn't hurt to try.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    A former student of mine suffered a bout of depression during his last semester of college. He said he couldn't concentrate after he and his girlfriend of six years had broken up, so he plagiarized about 1/4 of a paper he had to submit before graduation. Well, he was caught, and because he was about to graduate he figured nothing would happen. Well, he was accepted to several law schools and IU forwarded a letter to each of the schools and prevented him from attending any IU school for a semester. He recently applied to appear before the board at IU and his request to attend the law school was denied and will probably never be approved. That will follow him for the rest of his academic career.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    As Robin Williams said, "Copy from many people its research, copy from one person its plagiarism."

To me content is more important then anything else. What about this guy

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqOaVbznE5o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqOaVbznE5o[/ame]

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    A former student of mine suffered a bout of depression during his last semester of college. He said he couldn't concentrate after he and his girlfriend of six years had broken up, so he plagiarized about 1/4 of a paper he had to submit before graduation. Well, he was caught, and because he was about to graduate he figured nothing would happen. Well, he was accepted to several law schools and IU forwarded a letter to each of the schools and prevented him from attending any IU school for a semester. He recently applied to appear before the board at IU and his request to attend the law school was denied and will probably never be approved. That will follow him for the rest of his academic career.

And this is what this administrator would likely have done to a student, also. He would have wrung his hands in public and denounced the student's dishonesty. That's why he should be subjected to the same treatment to which he would subject a dumb kid.

Top Bottom