• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ptfd923

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    also said he was low on fuel luckily he didn't crash on some town and/or some road somewhere

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    From what I read so far...this was not a crash, but a landing without the nose gear. Did I miss something or did you go to the mainstream media school of "exaggerated headlines" to grab attention? :D:ingo:

Didn't look like he shut down the engine before he landed, so it might have pretty much ruined the engine as well as the front 1/2 of the planes structure.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    From what I read so far...this was not a crash, but a landing without the nose gear. Did I miss something or did you go to the mainstream media school of "exaggerated headlines" to grab attention? :D:ingo:

Didn't look like he shut down the engine before he landed, so it might have pretty much ruined the engine as well as the front 1/2 of the planes structure.
    Or the Rambone school of headlines:D

Sorry Rambone :D

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    As a pilot, the headline should read "Emergency Landing". The pilot did everything right with an aircraft with a problem.

Also, any landing that you can walk away from is a good landing! :D

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone

HUH? Pilot did not land on the amount wheels that came with the aircraft when it was new. So it is cut and dry a CRASH LANDING.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    He would have done less damage to the plane had he rolled along a bit before letting the nose drop on the runway, Also should have cut the engine right before touchdown. :twocents:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    He would have done less damage to the plane had he rolled along a bit before letting the nose drop on the runway, Also should have cut the engine right before touchdown. :twocents:
    Not sure where the center of gravity is on that plane, by guess it is forward of the main gear. Because he was anticipating a rough landing, his airspeed was very low, meaning he had little control authority to keep the nose up with the elevators.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Could you remove your nose gear and demonstrate for us WITHOUT disintegrating your plane (assuming you have one). I work for the F.A.A., I'll get you clearance ahead of time....send out invites for video footage of this fine event and the target airport will need proof of insurance with coverage amounts....so when you gouge their runway and your aircraft throws up all its parts and scatters it across the airfield. Just make sure you dont take out the localizer or GS or NOAH station or the RVR or the PAPI/VASI. I know most of the techs that service those around here and they arent nice guys....Im one of them. :D

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Ouch! A little touchy are we? It just looked like his nose slammed straight down as soon as the main wheels touched the runway. I've seen a lot of videos where pilots have gear failure and sort of "fly" the plane for a bit after touching down to scrub off some speed and then let the plane settle down to the ground. Saw several crash landings caused by various forms of gear failure while in the Navy. With that I'm skedaddling outta here.... to hostile for me. :nailbite:

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    It's a kit airplane aka homebuilt. Another one bites the dust. This one seems to be repairable following the skid down the Warsaw runway.

Bob2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010
    Looks as if he walked away and is alive, guessing he considered it a successful landing

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Can't see the video here at work (and didn't watch it at home when I posted the above)...

Conclusive that it's a kit / home build? A good college friend of mine - his father died when he crashed his kit build. :-(

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    As a builder and pilot of a similar (but better :D) homebuilt aircraft, I think the guy did OK. He walked away apparently unhurt, which is the goal of any emergency landing, regardless the cause.

In hindsight yes, it would have been better for the airplane had he shut off the fuel flow to stop the engine prior to touchdown and held the nose off for as long as possible. However, given that it was posted that there was a significant crosswind, the pilot may have decided that sacrificing the engine and some airframe damage was worth having the thing safely on the ground. That's why we carry insurance.

The airport at Rochester is a single runway, uncontrolled field. No control tower, no emergency equipment (that I know of). More than likely, the pilot called on the unicom frequency and was advised that continuing on to Warsaw would allow him a choice of runways and emergency equipment upon his arrival. Good advice, assuming he had enough fuel on board (which he evidently did.)

Overall, it was a well-executed emergency landing, not a "crash." Kudos to the pilot for making a safe landing.

Top Bottom