• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mrs Evilwrench

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    In case no one explained to you what PF really is, it is an inflammation of the fascia on the bottom of the foot (in its simplest terms). It is often the result of torn or overstretched muscles, and is common in people who are on their feet a lot without properly supporting shoes and are on a hard surface like concrete. If you cannot wear the boot to sleep, at least try to wear it after work hours. Don't let you foot relax and "drop", like stepping on a gas pedal, because that stretches out the antagonist muscles to the plantar surface of the foot which keeps the inflammation going. Stretches are designed to help relax the dorsal muscles of the foot and lower leg. Ice helps relieve the inflammation. Anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen can also help short-term. Every body is different, and we each respond differently to treatments. I am all for non-invasive relief! I did a lot of stretches throughout the day and got really good supportive shoes. I have not personally been to Good Feet but my best friend went there and had almost-instant results for her PF. I hope this helps!

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I had this for some time. My doctor suggested the same stuff mentioned above, but also sent me to a physical therapist/chiropractor. He had me try something and after about a month, it went away. Comes back rarely and I can usually get rid of it in a day or two.

On the inside of your lower leg (if it's your left foot, it would be on the right side of your left leg), toward the base of the tibia, find where you gastroc/calf muscle ends. Use the heel of your opposite food and put some pressure on the area until you find the spot that makes the arch of your foot start to tingle. Just keep working at it for a bit until you start to feel some relief of that icky feeling in your foot. It's mildly uncomfortable for me, but after a few minutes I start to feel the pain subside as all the muscles in my foot start to relax.

I tried to circle the general area I'm talking about here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/699wrybb4588ys5/Screenshots_2014-11-23-22-27-35.png?dl=0

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    I was diagnosed with Planters 15+ yrs ago ... got the Cortisone shots in the bottom of both feet (never do that again) ... prescribed orthopedics that I couldn't wear
    Finally got a good pair of Red Wing steel toe shoes with the metal Arch Supports ... problem mostly went away ... just a occasional bad day if I walk too much in regular shoes

Bob2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010
    I also wanted to add that I would walk around the house barefoot all the time. The first time mine acted up was after a beach trip where I was barefoot almost the full week, walking around the pool, beach , hotel room. Now I wear these instead of going barefoot, and my feet love them, best arch support ever...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001XTNB3U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Even after wearing my orthotics all day that I feel was the main cure for me, I love sliding these on at end of day, they just feel great!

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    My husband and I both have PF. He is a firm believer in orthotic inserts all the time. I am not. We've both tried several types. I did get some that helped, but I don't wear them now that I am not having issues. My thoughts are that they make the foot muscles dependent on them. I AM a firm believer in good shoes- no more cute, cheap, girly shoes for me. I still go barefoot a lot at home. We both go to a chiropractor. My husband gets some relief from rolling tennis balls with his feet. He does ibuprofen daily, I prefer to avoid that as much as possible. I've been taking a turmeric/curcumin supplement. Not sure what your diet is, but I try to keep mine pretty clean and avoid foods that are known to cause inflammation. My bad habit is good beer/wine...I try to keep everything else in check. This is a pretty good article.
    Plantar Fasciitis: Overcoming Heel and Arch Pain Naturally | Dr. Robert A. Kornfeld

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Had this really bad in both feet in the '90s. First podiatrist I went to tried several things, hard plastic orthotics, cortizone shots, stretching exercises. Nothing really helped much. Went to a different podiatrist. He suggestion a different kind of orthotic that was custom molded to my feet. Had me lay down on my stomach with my feet over the end of the table. Assistant came in with a bucket. She began to wrap my feet with some sort of material that was very wet and warm. That was the best foot rub I've ever had! Asked her if she would come to my house and do that every day! Uh, sorry, back to the story... After about 20 minutes, this thing wrapped around my feet had set. She peeled it off and they sent it in to have the orthotics made. Took a few weeks to get them back. Had to start wearing them only a few hours a day and work up to always wearing them whenever I was on my feet. Within a week or two, I had no pain as long as I was wearing these. Wore them faithfully for several years, then starting to wean myself from them. Haven't had any pain for years now, and the orthotics are tucked in the back of my sock drawer in case I ever need them again.

Bottom line is get another opinion, there is hope!

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    First several set of orthotics were made the way dvd1955 described and they worked great right from the start. Last two sets I had made they used a laser scanner that scanned my soles while I was standing. They had to try three times to make them where they were comfortable enough to wear for any length of time. Next time I'm due for a set, I will ask for the old style method.

Matt

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I started seeing a podiatrist after I felt PF in my foot. Saw her for about a year. Tried stretches, shots in the bottom of the foot (I believe Cortizone), and the boot (sleeping). After about 12 monthly treatments, I gave up. I hated the boot, and I hated going and paying a monthly co-pay without seeing results.

Everyone can call BS on this - I'm sure it's completely coincidental.... At the same time I quit seeing the foot doc, I bought my first pair of crocs. Yes, crocs are ugly. Anyone who owns a pair can vouch for the comfort and ease of putting on and taking off. Within the next few months, my PF was non-existant. I have been PF-free for the past 6 or 7 years. And yes, I still wear crocs. In all seriousness, I realize crocs likely didn't CURE my PF. But, I have no other explanation why my symptoms were relieved. All I can suggest, is that it might be $20 well spent. YMMV.

Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg
    The only thing that helped me was quitting my machining job where I was on my feet 8-12 hours a day, and taking 6 weeks of rest. This was 3 years ago, and it hasn't bothered me again (working again, btw).

RugerRog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indy
    I've had plantar's in both feet, no fun. Stretching and ice helped a lot, as did the orthotics. Dont go barefoot, wear flip flops. Wear a good shoe that supports the foot. I wore a shoe all the time when around the house while I had it when I wasnt exercising or icing it.

cheese

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Granger
    Have delt with this for 3 years .. Stretches never worked.. Ice helped for about an hour. Cortisone shots first round lasted a month, second time it lasted a week. Then I opted for the surgery. I also have heel spurs. At this point I've had one foot done and had to go back to work due to financial reasons. It's been 8 months since surgery and my one foot feels great ! I can't wait to have the other foot done. As far as recovery time to get back to work I work 60+ hours a week so it was about 8 weeks

starbreather

Master
    Rating - 95.3%
    61   3   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    exiting stage left!
    When you say orthotics are you referring to the ones that you you put your feet into the foam that molds to the contours and they also make them with a ridge that hits on the ball off your foot. I work on my feet and walk 5 miles on a slow day. The orthotics that I referred earlier are obtained at the podiatrist or orthopedist, but the only thing that helped me. I cycle shoes out daily to give then time to recover as well, so I buy 2 pair of shoes wearing one pair then rotating.

Last edited:

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have this problem and right now the doctor and I are going to try another round of orthotics. This time he is going to prescribe me the ones that are supposed to actually work instead of the wrong ones the VA podiatrists were giving me since 2004. My problem is a fallen arch, and if these don't work, it's surgery time baby! I want my feet straightened up!

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Conservative measures would include short term NSAIDs like Ibuprofen or aleve, using a cold soda can or frozen water bottle and rolling that on the bottom of your foot to stretch out the fascia. A tennis ball can also work.

Next would be things like custom orthotic inserts. These can get pricey.

Next would be hydrocortisone injections. These work by directly decreasing the inflammation and can really smart but generally have good results.

If all other measures fail and symptoms are causing you to alter your life then and only then is surgery an option.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Just a quick update. Dr. ordered ANOTHER set of orthotics about 2 weeks ago. I don't know if the third pair will work any better, haven't bothered to go pick them up yet. I have been doing the streches religiously, and that seems to help the most when the pain is the worst. It sucks, but I do it. I have started seeing a physical therapist. We shall see if it helps. She told me that i have a ton of scar tissue in my PF foot, and quite a lot in the other.They claim that breaking up the scar tissue and strengthing/stretching the muscles in my calf will make a world of difference.

All in all, I can say that I am starting to feel better. Oh, the last time I saw my Dr., he made the comment that WE are making progress. I looked at him and said, "What exactly have YOU done?" :D

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I know someone that said a strip of duct tape on the bottom of the foot at night helped. (Not a joke)

I don't have that ailment so I am just passing along what I was told. YMMV

Squander

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    South Bend
    Just a quick update. Dr. ordered ANOTHER set of orthotics about 2 weeks ago. I don't know if the third pair will work any better, haven't bothered to go pick them up yet. I have been doing the streches religiously, and that seems to help the most when the pain is the worst. It sucks, but I do it. I have started seeing a physical therapist. We shall see if it helps. She told me that i have a ton of scar tissue in my PF foot, and quite a lot in the other.They claim that breaking up the scar tissue and strengthing/stretching the muscles in my calf will make a world of difference.

All in all, I can say that I am starting to feel better. Oh, the last time I saw my Dr., he made the comment that WE are making progress. I looked at him and said, "What exactly have YOU done?" :D

Personal question: How much do you weigh? Did you put weight on before your plantar fasciitis started? The biggest things that have aggravated mine include: (1) jumping rope; (2) putting weight on.

Sad to say that the only thing that keeps my pain in check is keeping my weight down, and hence reducing the pounding on my feet when I walk, jump, and run.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Personal question: How much do you weigh? Did you put weight on before your plantar fasciitis started? The biggest things that have aggravated mine include: (1) jumping rope; (2) putting weight on.

Sad to say that the only thing that keeps my pain in check is keeping my weight down, and hence reducing the pounding on my feet when I walk, jump, and run.

Right now I am about 270ish. That's been a pretty constant weight +-15 lbs the last 10 years. I attribute mine to 22 years of working on concrete floors, just wear and tear and getting old!

Top Bottom