• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Six weeks in. Great survival rate. A few are pushing 36" already. I need to get some broadleaf weed control on it today. Never got a chance to use roundup before planting.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    remember that the pieces of rhizome the tiller leaves under the soil will re-establish themselves as new plants just as readily as those original rhizome pieces you're buying now.

I bought a propane torch and the person helping me told me I could use it to sterilize the soil after tilling over a garden to prevent re-growth of unwanted plants. Would that work around the edges that are tilled every year?

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I bought a propane torch and the person helping me told me I could use it to sterilize the soil after tilling over a garden to prevent re-growth of unwanted plants. Would that work around the edges that are tilled every year?

The cost of the propane required for a large space would be greater than the cost of hiring a team of workers to pull the weeds by hand all summer.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

I've used it to kill active weeds but getting the soil hot enough for long to kill seeds would be very annoying. Just running the edge to kill weeds shouldn't take too much propane. I've been on the same tank for three years and did a LOTof ice melting this last year.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    coming up very thick this year. It's year three and I'm excited to see how well my neighbors vanish this year.

Frankly I'm surprised there's no more interest about this plan than there is

gun_nut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Haubstadt. IN
    Looks good! What do you do with all the dead canes in the fall/winter? I have 1600 feet or so that we wanted for privacy- we decided to go with a hedge row. We planted black locust, osage orange, mullberry, and some russian olive. We are on our 4th year and the row is beginning to thicken up nicely.

gn

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    I've considered planting this stuff around the area I'm planning to install a private range... Thought it might work to help reduce wear/erosion to the backstop hill since it is so aggressive with growth and roots.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've considered planting this stuff around the area I'm planning to install a private range... Thought it might work to help reduce wear/erosion to the backstop hill since it is so aggressive with growth and roots.

But it might take a significant number of seasons of being undisturbed before the root system is that robust though.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Today is harvest day. Quite a bit more than last year. Using gas powered Stihl hedge clipper and it's doing a good job. I hate to cut it down since it opens up our yard so much but the leaves are getting everywhere. I guess I could have just raked those up.

that white blob on the right is my neighbor's house

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    How about letting it spread wide enough so you could alternate cutting the "inside" and "outside" every six months. that way there would always be some barrier coverage.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Just cut it down, use it as the fire starter for the larger logs. Eventually I'd like to make fence panels with the reeds all shoved together in little trays on the top and bottom. Make that a privacy thing around the fire pit.

we planted it for privacy on the back lot and it works great. Cost $600 or so for the rhizomes to cover the areas we needed.

tonybia

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    7   1   1
    Apr 24, 2013
    Any different opinions on the the Miscanthus now that some time has passed? How is it spreading? Taking much time to maintain? Looking for a border plant hedge for my property. Thanks!

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    +1 on this.

I have been following this post and would love an update.

We have a couple of areas that I have been looking to put this but just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

How trashy are they, the leaves, the stems?

Thanks for all the input so far and look for an update.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I think posts 12 and 33 may cover the questions. While I know it's not a "hands off" product it does sound like quite a bit of work! In my case I'd have about 500' of it planted. Not too sure I want to deal with that every year.

Top Bottom