• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I have a couple areas of my yard where over grown trees has prohibited the growth of any grass around them. I have cut a couple trees down and significantly trimmed up a couple so now I should have enough sun light to grow grass. The soil in these areas are pretty compacted and unfortunately cannot really do much if any tilling because of the tree roots. What's my best course of action planting grass? I was thinking about getting a few yards of top soil to lay on top and some "love your soil" made by Jonathan Green that is suppose to loosen soil by using a couple acid types, calcium, sulfur, iron, & molasses. I have no idea if this will even work or if I'm just wasting money. I can also borrow a slice aerator from a buddy to run over the area several times. Any thoughts?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    You really need to have pliable soil several inches deep to allow the grass to root properly, especially this late in the year. Be sure and water it good; we brought in a couple of truckloads of dirt earlier this summer and had grass growing quite well be the lack of rain and our water being sourced from a well has pretty much doomed the new grass to a slow death. Our well doesn't produce enough to water like we should have.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Turns out I can hire a yard care company to add some top soil and slice seed it, not for much more than it would cost for me to do it. At least not what I value my time as and not having to wheel barrel dirt across the yard :)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Turns out I can hire a yard care company to add some top soil and slice seed it, not for much more than it would cost for me to do it. At least not what I value my time as and not having to wheel barrel dirt across the yard :)

:yesway: I'm finding myself coming to that conclusion more and more lately. :):

Top Bottom