• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Ok so hopefully Thursday I'm going to buy a new tv. The one I'm looking at is a 58 inch Samsung Plasma, 1080P. I'm really liking this one. I have been able to watch a movie on one already, since my parents just purchased one over the weekend.

Plus they are on sale right now. But I want to look at all my options. So, which is the better one. Plasma or LCD? I've also been seeing a lot of people liking the LED.

Which is the better way to go? I'm learning as I go here.

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    only downside that i know of on a plasma is the shiny screen. if you put it in a room with a window you will never see the screen during the day the lcd/led screen will be your better choice for a bright room.

b0Rn~c0nfus3d

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    IMO you should'nt buy a plasma if you are going to spend the money make sure it last you.plasma's have a life spand of 3-5 years vs the lcd thats last 7-10 years,and led are amazing just expensive.For the price of a plasma you put a 100 or so with it and get the lcd which last longer.My vote gets the lcd and you can ask any tv guy and he will tell you the same.I would also make sure you get 1080 pix way better.:rockwoot:

peloe16

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Cincy
    agreed with furbymac ^^^ but i was just watching that exact tv at a family members house all weekend and it was pretty cool.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have a Plasma and LCD and am in the market for a LED. My opinions are both are great tvs the plasma uses more energy and puts off more heat then my LCD. As for picture quality Id lean towards the LCD. I personally would wait till around the first of next year jan/feb when the new models come out the prices will be hard to beat on the current models.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    lcd or led. i have a samsung led and LOVE it. but all of my tv's are samsungs.
    like others have said. plasma's life is short.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I don't own a plasma, but I thought I read that they fixed the short life-span problem on the plasmas?

Anyway, I'd still go with an LCD...LEDs are nice too, but I just can't justify paying the extra $$$ when the picture quality is so close.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I don't own a plasma, but I thought I read that they fixed the short life-span problem on the plasmas?

Anyway, I'd still go with an LCD...LEDs are nice too, but I just can't justify paying the extra $$$ when the picture quality is so close.

open box deals. let someone else open them and return them. they come with the same warrenty... i got darned near 300 off when i got mine.

lyric911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Anderson
    IMO you should'nt buy a plasma if you are going to spend the money make sure it last you.plasma's have a life spand of 3-5 years vs the lcd thats last 7-10 years,and led are amazing just expensive.For the price of a plasma you put a 100 or so with it and get the lcd which last longer.My vote gets the lcd and you can ask any tv guy and he will tell you the same.I would also make sure you get 1080 pix way better.:rockwoot:

This information about plasma TVs is completely false. Modern Plasma and LCD TVs have the exact same half life - 100,000 hours.

---------------------------------------

Plasma has exactly 3 remaining negative points. Whether or not they matter to you is an exercise for the reader.

1) Power usage. They suck way more juice than a same sized LCD.
    2) They get hot. If your room is small, the temperature in the room will go up.
    3) They are slightly more difficult to view in a brightly lit room. It's not a significant issue on a modern plasma.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    open box deals. let someone else open them and return them. they come with the same warrenty... i got darned near 300 off when i got mine.

But...That goes for LCDs as well, right?

This information about plasma TVs is completely false. Modern Plasma and LCD TVs have the exact same half life - 100,000 hours.

That's what I thought.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I have both a plasma and two LCDs. As well as a DLP projector.

Honestly, the plasma has the best picture and best contrast. I use it in a bright room and have never had a problem seeing it. And, it's rated at 100,000+ hours.

It does use more power, but I've never noticed the heat.

Honestly, I went with a 60 inch plasma last Christmas and just did a lot of research. You can't really go wrong with either. I don't know anything about LEDs.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Plasmas still have larger brightness range than all but the most expensive LCDs and LEDs. We have a Plasma as our main home theater TV, because there is no light shining in. The TV upstairs with the windows all around is an LCD.

Plasma is the best quality money for the dollar. Ours is a 720p, because it is far enough away that the difference is hard to make out. Spend the extra money in a good speaker system and receiver. :)

As far as burn-in, plasma pixels will age as they are used. If you have a constant channel bug that is white, it will age those pixels more. This will cause them to darken. Modern plasmas have features that will fix this by equally burning in the pixels. You just need to be more careful with leaving it on and setup the screen savers on DVD players if possible. I've never had a problem with ours.

lyric911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Anderson
    I've been reading about "burn-in", and I don't quite undertand it. Is this a big deal with having plasma?

No. Burn in is permanent damage to the screen and with modern plasmas is *almost* completely impossible.

Image retention is basically the same thing, only temporary. Modern plasmas have a feature to minimize IR - The picture shifts one to two pixels one of the 4 directions every few minutes. You never see it happen while watching (at least I don't) and keeps IR from happening for channel logos/tickers/etc.

If in spite of the pixel shifting you develop some IR, it will go away as soon as you switch to a source with a dynamic image where the IR is.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I've had a new LG 60PK750 for about 2 months now (I spent over 3 months looking at everything far and wide) and it is absolutely awesome. It has a 100,000 hour lifespan rating which is on par with the the LCD's, it has richer blacks and the color just seems to pop on everything we watch.

The newer Plasmas have a lower energy usage, but it does have radiant heat coming off it if you walk close to it.

LED's are still pricey, don't look for the price to come down too fast because LCD's and Plasma's are already being discounted fairly good and the manufactures will want to recoup money on them just like they always do with newer technology.

I seen someone mention that they said Plasma's have a "shiney" look to them in a lighted room, the reason for this is because Plasma's have a glass screen on the front to protect it better, but I'd like to say I have no problem with any reflective light on the screen and I have 2 skylights, 3 octagon windows and a double widow that's 5 foot wide.:D

Look hard, look long, don't rush into it because it's a pricey purchase.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Also one thing to note, Plasma's are rated at 600 hertz, where as LCD's and LED's range from 60 to 240.

The faster it's rated, the less blur you will get on fast moving images or sports related viewing.

lyric911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Anderson
    Also, FWIW, LED TVs are LCD TVs with a different back light mechanism - LEDs rather than a fluorescent tube. The actual display is the exact same thing. LEDs use less power and make more even brightness.

Top Bottom