• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    When I was growing up, there weren't nearly as many choices in handguns as today and most double action guns were revolvers. Nowadays, most of the new autos are being made of Plastic (polymer) and are double action only. To be honest, the only guns of this type that I have had are a Glock (in 45) and a Keltec p-11 and can't say I cared for either of them. Long heavy trigger pulls and guns that don't polish up real nice just aren't my thing I guess. I still like a sa or sa/da auto like a 1911 or CZ-75 about the best. On the flip side though I can see where the difference in weight might be better. So tell me, if you have made the switch to a "plastic-da only gun", how do you like it & how does it compare. (pros & cons) The reason I ask is, I'm thinking about converting.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I like all my plastic guns just fine. Not sure exactly what kind of information you are needing, but I really enjoy shooting my Glocks.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Well, for a polymer gun, maintenance is much easier. You don't have to worry about rust with them, for one thing. As for carrying them, they're much lighter.

I'm personally not a fan of the DA/SA system; having that different trigger pull could make a huge difference in your shooting in a SHTF scenario. I do LIKE the Glock trigger, however; it is not a traditional "double action," per se, it is somewhere between a single action and a double action trigger. The important part is, though, that it is CONSISTENT; it is the same, every single time.

As for them not "polishing up," my guns are all functional tools that usually ride out of sight; to me, they are beautiful because they are functional and rugged, and that is the only kind of "polish" I need on them.

But yes; a nice shiny 1911 is a beautiful thing, and they are very nice guns. I like them for what they are; but for me, they're not practical for my typical uses.

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Light, easy to maintain, and easy to clean. I wouldn't buy a 'plastic' gun for anything other than a carry gun because they definitely lack in the aesthetic field, but all of my carry guns are polymer framed.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    My 1911s are my favorites, but I did buy an HK sa/da and liked it. I now have an FN USG .45 sa/da and it is my beater gun. Don't have to be concerned about it getting dinged up like I do my Ed Brown. The USG has a good tirgger and 15+1 rounds of .45acp. I did the Glock thing for a while, but I'll take a sa/da now days.

joshuametivier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Columbus
    Polymer has its place. I find it very useful in day to day applications. I personally like the look and feel of my glock, but my heart lies with my 1911. :) Polymer is certainly worth utilizing, and its reliable. Joshua

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    For a polymer framed DA/SA pistol. I really like FN. I have both a FNP9 and FNP40. They are great guns. Sig also makes a 2022, it is polymer framed and is DA/SA. CZ makes the P07 which is polymer framed and DA/SA. They also make a P01 phantom, which is polymer framed and DA/SA. There are a few good choices out there. You just have to look around. I like both aluminum and polyer framed pistols personaly.

mandolin3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I recently switched my everyday carry to a sub-compact Springfield XD9 (3"). I agree with all of the above reasons: weight, rust, etc. I also find that having automatic integral safeties (backstrap/trigger) vs. a manual safety lever is a huge plus.

Farslayer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    I actually just switched back to a DA/SA EAA Witness Classic from a DAO SIG P250 compact. Both 9mm. I liked the SIG and it has a great DAO trigger, very smooth and pretty light. However I like DA/SA a lot more and though I was accurate with both, I am more accurate with DA/SA than DAO. I also like heavier all steel pistols more than poly because the recoil is less noticeable.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    In the summer I sweat like a pig.I have to clean my steel guns constantly. I recently switched to a Glock 22, and so far i love it. I really like the trigger. I also have a hi power 9mm, and dont plan on getting rid of it soon either.

Top Bottom