• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I have also been a slow adopter of the "Plastic Fantastic", and bought my first plastic striker-fired gun about 4-5 years ago (HK VP9). While a nice gun and a good shooter, I have always been a fan of metal and hammers, and still prefer them.

But, I just gave in and got another one... a SIG P320 X5. Pretty sweet gun I have to admit. Not sure if I am totally "sold" yet, but my defenses are crumbling around the edges.

HOWEVER: Now that Walther has released a steel-framed striker-fired gun (PPQ Q5 Match SF), rumor has it that SIG will follow suit with a steel frame for the X5. I would be one of the first in line to buy that puppy if it comes to fruition.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I started with polymer, a PPQ. I’ve since had a P320 and CZ P-09. All have functioned perfectly, the PPQ being the snappiest of the bunch. I’ve just never loved the polymer.

I want to try the Steyrs though. Otherwise, I’m content with the CZ 75 family.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I'm old as are my preferences! I and my son have a fairly large firearm collection, none of which are polymer frame style. I am aware the Glock's and other polymer framed handguns are quite reliable, durable and light. However my bias against them are due to my Engineering employment for many years!

I was employed in a large industrial factory and worked with molding techniques and testing of just about every polymer you could name at one time or another. Almost every polymer degrades after time and becomes brittle with exposure to UV and or many different solvents / lubricants. Some will become stress cracked in a short time (weeks) when exposed to certain solvents (or months) in direct sunlight.

But ALL common and Engineering plastics will degrade slowly (years) in normal use. In common police duty and military use the guns will be replaced long before this is an issue. However all polymers degrade over time (look at the automobiles in a junk yard and observe the cracked / brittle plastic in the auto's over 20 years old)!

As I stated, in the common usage of these poly framed firearms this will not be an issue over the life of the firearm. The polymer framed firearms I have reviewed use a filled Nylon 6 or Nylon 66, I am quite sure they contain mineral fillers (clay) to enhance hardness / rigidity and fiberglass strands for strength. They also contain Carbon to restrict UV penetration to lengthen the life.

However I do not sell any firearms and intend for my entire collection to be passed to my Son's and hopefully their heirs. I have very old Handguns and rifles that are complete functional (and in my opinion far more beautiful) with wooden stocks and blued steel. ALL my firearms are in shooting condition - some are just more accurate than others.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    LarryC, can't argue about the fact that plastic degrades over time as I too worked for a company during their transition from metal to plastic products for weight saving.

That said, not one of my plastic firearms are exposed to sunlight except during their use at an outdoor range that doesn't have overhead cover. Mine are stored indoors usually locked in a safe with the exception of my go-to pistols that are well protected from sunlight. (Please take this as I give it, with a smile on my face laughing heartily. :D :D :D :D)

drm-hp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    I had a Glock 21 once. I just could not decide I liked it. Easy to maintain, shot well, I just could not like it. Oh well, just ambivalent.
    Doug

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I was a traditionalist most of my life. Couldn't figure out why anyone would have a firearm with plastic on it. A guy I worked with was getting married to a anti gun lady so his collection came up for sale. I purchased a few including a Glock. Changed my life. My collection got sold. Will never own blue steel and wood again.

As far as Sig goes have only owned one and it sucked. I always thought they look wonky.

Chr15topher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    New Albany
    I was a traditionalist most of my life. Couldn't figure out why anyone would have a firearm with plastic on it. A guy I worked with was getting married to a anti gun lady so his collection came up for sale. I purchased a few including a Glock. Changed my life. My collection got sold. Will never own blue steel and wood again.

As far as Sig goes have only owned one and it sucked. I always thought they look wonky.
    You’re cutting me deep!

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    If this isn't beauty, I don't know what is ! :dunno:

Metal is real !

i-tGbKGj7-XL.jpg

Last edited:

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven

Your buddy, not you. Hand in your man card ! What a wuss!
    #1 marry a anti gun woman (blasphemy)
    #2 sell guns to satisfy crazed woman (WOW)

I can't imagine selling my guns to satisfy a crazed woman.

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    Your buddy, not you. Hand in your man card ! What a wuss!
    #1 marry a anti gun woman (blasphemy)
    #2 sell guns to satisfy crazed woman (WOW)

I can't imagine selling my guns to satisfy a crazed woman.

yetti462.....I sent you a PM about the 6.5 bullets for sale and it said your inbox is full. I didn’t have anyway to email you so resorted to this. Try to delete a few old PM’s and get back with me.

Top Bottom