• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Growing up long before the Internet and kydex holsters, I've always used leather for my guns. After using a Serpa holster for a few days, I've noticed marks on my slide from holstering/unholstering my gun everyday. It rubs off so I take it that its just plastic residue coming from the holster. After extended use, will the residue become less or will the rubs on the slide become more prominent? I had another gun I got in a trade that the same marks didn't rub off.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    Like yourself, I prefer leather. I have used plastic holsters & noticed that with prolonged use, it will/can mar the finish some. For this reason, I don't use the plastics that often.
    This has been MY experience. Others may differ in opinion.

flhultra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    corydon area
    the only solution I've found is = leave the safe queens at home in a presentation box.
    Think about it - use it once as it is intended (for my safety) it will be confiscated and MAY never be seen again.
    you Probably WILL drop it sometime in its lifetime, and even with the best leather you still see some wear on the finish, look at all of your older ones that were carried well before all the plastic.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Not all "plastics" are created equal.

The ones made of Kydex and Boltaron, actual thermoplastics, are MUCH better in regards to being finish friendly.

I have no idea what Blackhawk makes their holsters out of, but I THINK they're injection molded.

Typically injection molded plastic = not so friendly on finishes.

The good thing, though, about all plastics is that you can wash them out. They don't hold grit and grime like leather. And won't loosen up over time like leather can.

Downside - left in a super hot car - the kydex ones can soften up.

I'm fully on board with kydex and boltaron holsters.

Also - carry guns get character marks.

If you don't want character marks on a gun - don't carry it.

-J-

Top Bottom