• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Irishshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Avon
    I'm new to reloading and would like some input on the coated bullets. I load .40 and 9 and have only used plated berrys bullets so far, but I have been looking at a product from a company called Black Bullets International. They sell bullets that are encased in a lube they call P/L HI-TEK. I ordered a sample of 100 from them. They feel like they are coated with a thin plastic. I have not loaded any yet but I would like to hear from any who have.
    My only motivation is price and with only $.016 per bullet difference I don't know if it will be worth it if they are a pain to load or leave residue in my barrel.
    Is there something better?

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Coated bullets are great. They use the same load data as lead. Most people who shoot USPSA use coated bullets. They don't leave residue in the barrel. Black Bullets International is a great company. I'm about to order 2 cases of 45acp 200gr SWC from them. I also use coated bullets from SNS Casting.

Rick45Colt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Franklin
    I have really gotten into casting my own and have started to powder coat my bullets. I have tested 3 different types of 45 ACP bullets so far. They are as follows 200 grain truncated cone, 220 grain hollow point, 230 grain flat point. I am using the what I call the shake and bake method that I learned about on castboolits.gunloads.com. You could also check out bayoubullets.net for another version of coated bullets. I think Donnie ?? is his name and he is Jerry Miculek's brother. I have the coating kit from Bayou Bullets but didn't have the extra money to buy a Convection Toaster Oven so I chose the other method that I mentioned. Someone gave me a regular toaster oven that can only be used for bullets from now on.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    ............................ They sell bullets that are encased in a lube they call P/L HI-TEK................ They feel like they are coated with a thin plastic.

Isn't the legal definition of armor piercing handgun bullets in Indiana as "a bullet having a metal core that has an outer coating of plastic"???

Top Bottom