• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I've searched to find minimal results about this subject.

I need .45 acp bullets and I'm going to place a order of 1000 of 230 grain round nose, of something.

So, should I get FMJs that I know shoot through my 1911 with pretty good accuracy, or should I get the plated bullets because their cheaper?

Oh, for plated bullets I'm looking at Power Bond because of the double plating.

So, do you guys have any experience with shooting plated through a 1911 and if you do, what results are you getting?

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    plated work just fine out of a 1911. I put thousands of 230gr Rainiers down the pipe of my dearly missed Kimber.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    For just shooting I'd go with the plated. Personally I'd just go with some good cast lead and be done. At the low velocities that the 45acp shoots at leading isn't really a factor using a properly lubed cast bullet. If you don't want the smoke and little extra cleaning that comes from using cast, the plated would be the next step up. If the quality of the jacketed bullet and the plated one are the same you should see no difference between the two accuracy wise.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    For a revolver, I'd go lead cast and not think about it. But for my 1911, I'm trying to stay away from them, not for anything bad, just for consistency and "just cause".

Oh, my current reloads are 5.9 grains of Unique (a little dirty, but accurate). It's not a high velocity round, but it's certainly not low.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I shoot cast, copper plated, and as well as Black coated bullets through my .45's with no trouble. No worries on the copper plated ones, they are clean and shoot fine.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    For just shooting I'd go with the plated. Personally I'd just go with some good cast lead and be done. At the low velocities that the 45acp shoots at leading isn't really a factor using a properly lubed cast bullet. If you don't want the smoke and little extra cleaning that comes from using cast, the plated would be the next step up. If the quality of the jacketed bullet and the plated one are the same you should see no difference between the two accuracy wise.

I Concur

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy

:+1:

I have good results with Lee 230gr tumble lube design that I cast myself.

jtb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    For a revolver, I'd go lead cast and not think about it. But for my 1911, I'm trying to stay away from them, not for anything bad, just for consistency and "just cause".

Oh, my current reloads are 5.9 grains of Unique (a little dirty, but accurate). It's not a high velocity round, but it's certainly not low.

More consistant than the Bullseye crowd are getting with cast? Or the shooters in the USPSA, Steel Cup, Masters or Bianchi Cup?

With a properly tuned load you do have to clean the powder/primer residue from tha action of the gun every thousand rounds or so, but a good cast load leaves no lead fouling in a barrel, unlike copper was you will get from any plated or jacketed bullet.

jim

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    With a properly tuned load you do have to clean the powder/primer residue from tha action of the gun every thousand rounds or so, but a good cast load leaves no lead fouling in a barrel, unlike copper was you will get from any plated or jacketed bullet.

jim

I did some more research and asked a guy who just ordered 1500 230gr. plated and 500 plated 9mm and he says he loves them because of the cost, uniform weight, and the accuracy is still good. And the double plated doesn't fowl the barrel because a .45acp is pushing 950fps max, which isn't enough to tear the plating off.

And I found out that most cast bullets or a .45 acp doesn't foul either because of the low speed. If I get a deal I might buy some lead cast from a guy I know, I'll keep those for the zombie apocalypse or something.

jtb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    To be clear, a cast bullet the proper alloy and the proper size with a proper load will not lead in any gun, even rifle. An undersized bullet or to hard a bullet, or the wrong load will lead any gun, even a 1911.

Copper or more correctly gliding metal bullets do indeed foul a barrel, that is it's purpose, makes no difference solid jacket or platting, you can prove this yourself with a copper solvent on a patch, it will come out of the barrel blue from the copper, or simply rub the nose of a copper round on some steel.

jim

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I reload exclusively using plated. Mostly Rainier...but I've done Zero bullets and a couple others, too. Never a problem.

Top Bottom