Please advise on going from small raised beds to small hobby farm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LowerSW

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    Lower Southwest Indiana
    If you are gardening on the area already you must have some idea of yield of your land. If your current garden is already producing why do you need to add topsoil? You can grow in sandy loam you just might need to water more, or mulch so that you keep the moisture in the ground. How big of a garden do you already have? not only in size but what did you grow and how many of each? If the area that you want to expand into is in pasture that has been resting for years the soil could have recovered enough for you to start planting on it.
    Personally, I would never bring a tractor into my garden, I do not want it compacting the soil. Your best bet there would be to use a tiller if possible. I know someone else said a pickup is more important that a tractor and I totally agree. On our farm we run a 20 family CSA (community supported agriculture) out of about 20 raised 4' x 75' beds. I would say to expand your garden slowly since you are increasing the work load exponentially. Weeding one bed in august is easy, weeding 5 beds is something altogether different. The same with watering, planting, harvesting etc.
    Are you in the northern, middle or southern part of the state? They are much different growing areas and your planning needs are different for each area.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    When I saw 5 acres and a tractor I skipped because it just does not fit my expertise, what I am doing now or what comes next. But I will toss out a few ideas.

I see labor force of 5, train them from day 1.

While my wife can run a tractor, a team of horses, hay baler or anything else, she was never a grower. When I got her into gardening, I gave her ownership of certain beds and types of plants. Over the years that turned her into the prepper she is now. The other day we discussed buying a freeze dryer. She also loves what we have planned for the future. She wants the greenhouse more then I do. Start your wife small with guaranteed success, that equals growing herbs on a larger scale. She will enjoy giving them to friends and family.

Your wife is more critical then the tractor. I would consider smaller, less expensive equipment she can easily use. Hire out, barter or rent for those rare large equipment needs. In my case I have a guy who can run anything. If I rent equipment and pay him to run it, things get done faster, cheaper and right. There are all kinds of deals you can cut with local farmers. If you have none near you, you live in the wrong place.

Adopt organic practices now and document. If you ever want to get certified, you are on your way. Even without certs you will get more cash for anything you sell, if you ever choose to do so.

Study CSA's, you pick farms, especially those that run from spring to Fall. Both tend to maximize their output per acre. While labor intensive, these practices require less land, chemicals and equipment.

Our approach is like a business. Efficiency, cost controls, reduce labor needed. We invest in things that allow us to do more without help.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom