• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier.Patriot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've been looking at army surplus and it seems the sks is the most semiautomatic bang for the buck. Is that right? I've also read that they are more accurate than the AK. Is that right? But I've heard that some of the sks are slower to change mags, something about having to have the bolt open. But then I've read there is a way to fix that. I've also heard that some SKS can us AK mags. How do you know?

Do any of the SKS owners out there have advice on how to find a good SKS for SHTF situation (I don't care about collectibles).

Thanks,

HP :ingo:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I've been looking at army surplus and it seems the sks is the most semiautomatic bang for the buck. Is that right? (Its one of the better ones) I've also read that they are more accurate than the AK. Is that right? (They tend to be a little more accurate) But I've heard that some of the sks are slower to change mags, something about having to have the bolt open.( If you use the facotory 10rd mag like the gun was intened to be used you will have no problems at all. Those aftermarket duckbill mags only work half the time at best. If you want something to hold more than the 10rds, BUY AN AK!) But then I've read there is a way to fix that. I've also heard that some SKS can us AK mags. How do you know? (The magwell will look different from the standard SKS, but there are a pretty rare animal)

Do any of the SKS owners out there have advice on how to find a good SKS for SHTF situation (I don't care about collectibles). (They yugo modles are the cheapest to be had)

Thanks,

As mentioned before use the search feature there have been many threads on the subject, you should find alot to go along with what your wanting to know.

mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    Like they said above use the search function, but aside that I love my SKS there are some models that do take the AK mags. I have a Norinco SKS and LOVE IT, it is very accurate. I do not know about modifying them to change out mags with the bolt closed but mine the bolt has to be open to put in a mag. Hope this helps

Hoosier.Patriot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the info

As mentioned before use the search feature there have been many threads on the subject, you should find alot to go along with what your wanting to know.

Hey S Green,

thanks for the feedback on the SKS. I'll use the "search" feature (as advised) but it's always nice to get specific feedback for my specific questions.

Take care and have a good holiday weekend. :patriot:

Go PACERS !!!

H.P.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I think they definitely have a place in the arsenal, but it is a specific place.

I have both SKS's and Ak's and I do not find the SKS to be more accurate. I have not shot either one past 200 yards, but inside 200, I can keep a 3-4 min group with either prone unsupported if I'm firing my shots by the numbers.

I would not advise trying to stretch an SKS into acting like an AK (weird alterations and detachable modded magazines). I think the model "M" is actually made to take AK mags, but with the rest you are better off just using 10 round stripper clips and the internal fixed 10 round magazine.

The AK is a softer shooter than the SKS for some reason and to be honest, I just like my AK's better.

If you find a good deal on an AK or SKS, buy it. If you are really on the fence about a $400 SKS, save a few more dollars and buy an AK.

Either way, I'd go ahead and grab some cheap 7.62x39 while it's out there.

Hoosier.Patriot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm finding the search to be inefficient ...

Not "best", not "worst." The "search" function is your friend.

Dear EvilBG,

I'm new so I might not have the technique right ... but I've tried searching for SKS and I'm finding all kinds of posts and threads that only mention it in passing. How do you find something that is an in depth discussion of the weapon?

Thanks,

H.P.

MMRUSH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    I recommend looking loging into Sks Survivors Board. You ll find every answer for every question you could think of. I have a Yugo and its cheap to shoot and tons of fun! Good luck on your quest.

happyfiero

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Campbellsburg IN.
    SKS are everywhere 350/400
    pick up one in good condition , most did not see much action.
    Chinese made the most and are good shooters, Yugos are plentifully But no chrome lining and are the heaviest.
    for the starts rifle keep it stock
    Buy some stripper clips and practice loading with them.
    As far as Mods
    Tapco 20s work fine
    will have to open the wood stock up a bit ,at the mag side opening. Stocks very on amount .
    Bolt MOD is pretty simple you grind the lips of the bottom of the bolt.
    Now you can remove the tapco with bolt closed.
    Both of these can be done with a dremel .
    I agree the Sks Survivors board is full of info

Picture047.jpg

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    I've been looking at army surplus and it seems the sks is the most semiautomatic bang for the buck. Is that right? I've also read that they are more accurate than the AK. Is that right? But I've heard that some of the sks are slower to change mags, something about having to have the bolt open. But then I've read there is a way to fix that. I've also heard that some SKS can us AK mags. How do you know?

Do any of the SKS owners out there have advice on how to find a good SKS for SHTF situation (I don't care about collectibles).

Thanks,

Yes the SKS is a good buy if you find one for under $300.
    Yes most SKS's are more accurate than the AK47s but not the AK74s.
    And yes some do take AK mags but most take what is called a duck billed mag.
    I have a Yugo & I took off the 10rd box mag & put on a 20rd Chinese box mag.(it has a big star on the side) Now I can load two stripper clips of ammo each time I reload.
    And the Yugo SKS has another plus, it can be used to launch inert practice grenades using blanks.
    Here are some of the inert practice grenades & blanks I use.
    ayrdya.jpg

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    If you are lucky enough to happen across a real Russian one then buy it without hessitation.

Between me my brother and my dad we have 5 russians. They (from my experiance) are the most reliable, solidly buidt, and most accurate.

Ive handeled and shot Yugos and Chinese ones and they are good enough to do the job but the Russians just have that extra little somthing that I just cant explain.

You have to shoot all of them side by side by side to know what I mean.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Adding a tapco stock to the sks will enchance the use of detachable mags. If you adhere to the rules, check out the 922R rules on sks's. They can be kind of confusing. Not that big bro is gonna come looking but it's nice to stay legit. A tapco compliance kit takes care of that issue. No problems whatsoever with tapco detachable mags.....YMMV

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    sksboards.com is the place to go. I have learned a ton over there.

I have several sks and I like them more than the ak. It is probably because I shot an sks first.

Anyway lets get to your questions.

Are they more accurate? I believe most of that has to do with the shooter. If you are looking for a rifle that will shot the wings off a fly at 300 meters the sks is not the rifle for you. If you want a rifle that is reliable, cheap to shoot, and can hit man sized targets easily sks is a great choice.

Mags. The sks would be slower because the standard, and most reliable magazine, is not removable like an ak. The 10 round magazine can be removed, but it requires taking the trigger group of, which is easy if you want aftermarket mags. MOST aftermarket mags are junk. Stripper clips are used to feed the 10 round magazine while the bolt is locked back. Yes you can mod the bolt, but if you are using the standard mag there is no point. Once you get the hang of it, it is very easy to load 10 rounds.
    There is a sweet adapter on the market that allows the use of tapco 20 sks mags to give the sks a removable mag. I have it on one of my sks that I made a bubba. The sks M and D take ak mags. They will be more expensive and have ak magazine releases. The M does not have a bayonet lug while the D does.

I have had zero problems with any of my sks. Norinco, which is Chinese, would probably be the best bet for you, they have chrome lined barrels and that helps when cleaning. The M and D models are Chinese. Yugos have a grenade launcher, but generally are not in as good of condition and have a gas valve that can cause issues. Also going price for a Yugo is a little cheaper than the Chinese. Romanian, Albanian, and Russians will be the most expensive.

Hoosier.Patriot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thanks Zoglog!

sksboards.com is the place to go. I have learned a ton over there.

I have several sks and I like them more than the ak. It is probably because I shot an sks first.

Anyway lets get to your questions.

Are they more accurate? I believe most of that has to do with the shooter. If you are looking for a rifle that will shot the wings off a fly at 300 meters the sks is not the rifle for you. If you want a rifle that is reliable, cheap to shoot, and can hit man sized targets easily sks is a great choice.

Mags. The sks would be slower because the standard, and most reliable magazine, is not removable like an ak. The 10 round magazine can be removed, but it requires taking the trigger group of, which is easy if you want aftermarket mags. MOST aftermarket mags are junk. Stripper clips are used to feed the 10 round magazine while the bolt is locked back. Yes you can mod the bolt, but if you are using the standard mag there is no point. Once you get the hang of it, it is very easy to load 10 rounds.
    There is a sweet adapter on the market that allows the use of tapco 20 sks mags to give the sks a removable mag. I have it on one of my sks that I made a bubba. The sks M and D take ak mags. They will be more expensive and have ak magazine releases. The M does not have a bayonet lug while the D does.

I have had zero problems with any of my sks. Norinco, which is Chinese, would probably be the best bet for you, they have chrome lined barrels and that helps when cleaning. The M and D models are Chinese. Yugos have a grenade launcher, but generally are not in as good of condition and have a gas valve that can cause issues. Also going price for a Yugo is a little cheaper than the Chinese. Romanian, Albanian, and Russians will be the most expensive.

Zoglog,

Lot's of good info here but, so far, you've given me the most detailed and most useful information. Thanks for taking the time. :cheers:

Now I know I want a Norinco D (or M, if I can't find a D), I think the versatility of AK mags is crucial in a SHTF situation, the chrome lined barrel is important and the bayonet is just cool. :cool:

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    Glad I could help! That will be the expensive choice, but a great one nonetheless. A standard norinco was my first sks, but it has a french tickler on it. Yeah buddy, look that one up!

There are two different stocks that will also help tell the M/D from normal. A monte carlo stock with check weld or a thumb through stock. I love my M and am always on the hunt for a D. Again look for an ak style mag release, sometimes the crooks selling normal sks with detachable DUCKBILL mags will try to pull a fast one on ya. If you look on google images you will understand what the duckbill is.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Dear EvilBG,

I'm new so I might not have the technique right ... but I've tried searching for SKS and I'm finding all kinds of posts and threads that only mention it in passing. How do you find something that is an in depth discussion of the weapon?

Thanks,

H.P.

I've been here a while and I've never had much luck with INGOs search function.

I just sold an SKS-M that took AK mags...

Top Bottom