• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    I am having a hard time finding basic info on ar22s. I understand that I can buy an ar15 pattern rifle, chambered in 22lr, as a complete rifle (what I think is called an ar22). I also understand that there are conversion kits that apparently can allow an ar15 to fire the 22lr. But that is about where my understanding ends. Say for example I have an ar15 and I want to shoot 22lr in it. Do I just buy a complete 22lr upper, install it, and go shoot? Is an upper the same as a conversion kit? What if I had an ar22 (by this I mean a complete factory rifle made for 22lr), but I want to go to 223/5.56? Can you "upfit" an ar22 into an ar15?
    I am not asking for pros and cons of an ar15 vs ar22, nor about which brand is best. I just want basic info about the ar22 and how it relates to the ar15.

Thanks in advance.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Like you said there is several options.

22ar, like the S&W .22 Tactical this rifle is only for shooting 22's ($499)

2040SmithWesson1522_pg.jpg

AR15 with dedicated 22lr upper - this is a .223 and/or 5.56 platform, w/ a second upper that is designed to shoot only 22lr. It has a bolt and twist rate designed for 22lr and accepts 22lr mags. ($300-400)

Sierra-_22-LR-Upper-Receiver-w-Low-Profile-FSB1514-2581.jpg

AR15 with CCMG or similar conversion kit. Has a dedicated bolt and mags only. This is the cheapest way to shoot 22lr out of a standard AR15. ($250 or less)
    CMMG-Stainless-Steel-.22-Conversion-Kit-with-Magazine1481-2256.jpg

I bought the CCMG 22 conversion kit for my AR15. It runs a bit dirtier than a .223 and the bolt needed quite a bit of lube in the beginning along with a bit of polishing to make it smooth. But now runs like a champ. This is my suggestion.
    I just want basic info about the ar22 and how it relates to the ar15.
    the .22lr and .223 are the same diameter, therefore use the same barrel diameter. The biggest draw back is the twist rate and fowling. A centerfire runs much cleaner than the average rimfire and the barrel and gas system need to be cleaned a bit more often. Really not a big deal IMO. Its a great plinker and good training tool for your AR setup.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    The SW 22 is not a bad gun for the price. I am involved with a youth shooting program and we had a bought a new one for the kids. The other day we fired about 750 rd through it before it started jamming. Seems it was getting kind of hot and dirty and had a jam then one of the coachs or youngsters tried to get it unjammed and bent the ejector. I took it back and cleaned it, and messed around with the extractor and bent it back in place and it worked great like it never even happened. FWIW

Green04

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2010
    redneckmedic summed it up nicely.

I've got the Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 and I *love* it. It shoots Federal bulk pack stuff FLAWLESSLY!

hit the nail on the head. i also own a S&W M&P15-22 its honestly my favorite gun. hes right itl shoot a box of 550 federal rounds ($20) without jamming a single time. very accurate i just shot mine today with iron sights and hit 4 quaters at 35 yards in 5 shots. i LOVE mine

fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    I just ordered a CMMG .22 Evolution Rifle. Runs the same price as the Smith and Colt .22 AR look alikes ($500) but uses a mil-spec lower that can use any standard ar uppers. It also has last shot bolt open and live round ejection capabilities.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPTA3sXqhwo"]YouTube - CMMG .22 Evolutioin Quebec-A Dedicated .22LR Rifle[/ame]

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    How so? A CCMG kit is about $200, less than a new rifle, and 30 rnd mags aren't cheap. Not to mention.... great training tool. Train like you fight!

If you're gonna train like you fight, then train with a real AR, if that is what you intend on fighting with.

I certainly don't train with a .22lr pistol and then strap on my EDC pistol.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    You can buy a used 22 rifle for $150 & 30 mags are $10, you'll have a nice shooting 22 rifles, instead of 22(DROP-IN KIT):twocents:

Sure. And you could buy a Marlin Model 60 for $75 and you'd have a .22 rifle. The OP clearly wants an AR look-alike, so this isn't a logical solution at all.

I could buy Hi-Points all day long, but I don't want that as an answer when I ask about Glocks and XDs.

Top Bottom