• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    First, let me just say I think there should be a federal law - violation of which should be the death penalty - that declares that all screw heads should be torx.

Obviously, I don't really mean that.

Here's what I need: Where can I buy the most high quality and complete hex wrench set? One more criterion: I'd like to be able to order individual replacements. Money is not an obstacle. Please help.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I second the Wiha set. I've not had any problems with the ones I have.

So which one was it?

A. Stripped screw?
    B. Stripped tool?
    C. Busted finger/hand because of A or B?
    D. All the above?

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    whats the purpose? Mixed use gunsmith and automotive, professional / hobbyist?

For strictly gunsmithing i have never needed to look beyond brownells

i do have a dedicated SK kit for my AI's

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    I use hex wrenches at work on a daily basis. I second the Eklands and also would add Bondus. I use both t handle and L handle style from both companies. Well worth the money. I would also tell you to stay away from the round end hex wrenches if possible. I have broken many many tips off at my job. -Jason

MegaTank

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2016
    Goshen
    I work in a machine shop and I use my hex wrenches on a daily basis. I bought a small set of bondhus. They are very durable and I have bent one of my crecent wrench handles using it as a fulcrum for a hard to reach bolt. Allen wrench is just fine.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Big fan of Bondus also.

+1

Working in a shop that builds injection molds, I've worn out several sets over 20+ years.

I once put a two foot pipe on a 1/4 Bondhus, twisted it 180 degrees without the pipe plug it was attached to moving. It didn't break. They really are gorilla proof.:D

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    If you only need metric there is a local Indy source that bicyclist are familiar with.

HX-ONE Home and Travel Essential kit | SILCA

silca-hex-main-image.jpg

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The "rounded "ball" end should never be used to break a fastener loose - only to spin the bolt out after it is broken loose. The only problem I have encountered with Allen screws is cheap unhardened screws - they will strip out no matter what you use on them. Torx screws very often have the same problem - Made in China from recycled tuna cans.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Craftsman. You break one, you bring it in, they hand you a brand new one. I have stripped all torx and allen key's I've ever had eventually, and I've had "nice" ones (snap-on comes to mind). I just buy Craftsman hand tools now.

They're not as nice as some, but they last just as long, and when they wear out or break, they hand you new ones. Can't beat that, especially if you have a Sears near by. No waiting on mailing broken stuff back to a company. Just walk in with broken stuff and walk out with new stuff.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have a set of allen drivers in an old Chapman set bought in 1989 - and I have never broken one yet - and they have busted some pretty stubborn screws loose. The 1/16th bit actually twisted like a barber pole on a sight screw - but didn't break or strip out. Wiha and Bondhus are about as good as you can find in a store. If you're a hobbyist the Chapman drivers are very good for the price.

Top Bottom