• ...and so much more!
  • Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    How many of those are .410's,or shotguns of any gauge?

Oh my bad. That list was bolt action rifles.

The Winchester model 41 was the only bolt action shotgun and was chambered only in .410. 22,145 were made during the years 1920-1934. This would definitely be a rare find.

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I just found a buck someone put a bad shot on. Coyotes had it all cleaned up for me to take the antlers home.

FYI, just in case anyone is not aware, it is not legal to pick up a dead head without using a buck tag(in season) or getting a salvage tag from your local CO.

Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    I was telling my wife not to worry about the people hunting around our home. We live right next to a state forest.

Now I’m thinking to be more careful as I realize that not all hunters are as responsible as what I thought.

Other than painting the house to be more noticeable and putting up a fence, any other ideas to make sure we don’t get bullets towards our home or when I’m playing with my dog outside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    As a veteran deer Hunter of over 30 years, I will say that on average deer hunters give all of us a bad name. I have wounded a few deer over the years. It happens to the best of us. Sometimes it's beyond our control, sometimes we make a poor decision based on limited information, and sometimes we simply choke under pressure. There's a huge difference between shooting at a paper target on the range and shooting at live game. Having said that, the reason for most wounded game is because the hunters are terrible shots. They can barely hit the mark from a shooting bench, and don't stand a chance in the field. It's embarrassing.

soupergenius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Excellent point. I always chase my prey down and finish the job. Sometimes a well placed shot fails but a good hunter would not let that happen if they can avoid it.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I was telling my wife not to worry about the people hunting around our home. We live right next to a state forest.

Now I’m thinking to be more careful as I realize that not all hunters are as responsible as what I thought.

Other than painting the house to be more noticeable and putting up a fence, any other ideas to make sure we don’t get bullets towards our home or when I’m playing with my dog outside?

I grew up adjacent to a heavily hunted chunk of the HNF and hunted on and near it for more than 20 years. During that time we never had an errant shot hit the house, any of the out buildings, or any of the livestock despite some of the hunters being of the less than stellar variety. While there were areas that I wouldn't hunt on opening weekend I never felt unsafe. I say all this to say that you might be overreacting more than a little bit. There is a wide gulf between flubbing a shot on a deer and being a real threat to the life and property of others. Frankly, I would be far more concerned about stray gunfire if I were in Indy on New Year's or Independence Day. All that said, it is only wise to keep the dog in the yard and possibly wear some hunter orange during firearms season or at least don't go for a stroll in the woods wearing brown clothing with white trim.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My aunt owned a thicket down hill from her new two story home.
    You could see that house from all over.
    It took three slugs in the first couple of yrs.

That yrs ago.

These days I'm more concerned with thugs flinging bullets in town.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My aunt owned a thicket down hill from her new two story home.
    You could see that house from all over.
    It took three slugs in the first couple of yrs.

That yrs ago.

These days I'm more concerned with thugs flinging bullets in town.

My mom and dad's house is in the middle of a flat, wide open field. Hundreds of yards in all directions. My dad dug a 12 gauge slug out of the double 2X4s next to their bedroom window.:rolleyes:

Roadman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2019
    Nashville
    Several years ago, I was skinning a deer and could hear a clicking noise as I pulled the hide. It took me a little while to realize that the sound was birdshot falling out of the hide and striking the plastic tub I had been working over. At some point earlier than my harvesting the deer, it had been shot at by someone using number six shot.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Several years ago, I was skinning a deer and could hear a clicking noise as I pulled the hide. It took me a little while to realize that the sound was birdshot falling out of the hide and striking the plastic tub I had been working over. At some point earlier than my harvesting the deer, it had been shot at by someone using number six shot.

I had one of my daughters out camping one year (~15 years ago) we canoe camped on a small lake. Didn't think it was opening weekend of duck season. In the morning we could hear the birdshot falling back through the leaves in the trees over our tent!

Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    You can never underestimate the stupidity of people

I haven’t heard any shots really close to the house, but you never know who’s out “hunting”

I usually see the same cars parked so I assume they know where our house is.

Ballistic glass and ar500 walls, it is!

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    My place is surrounded by private land, with public land about one mile north. I really didn't hear that much shooting this year. I shot three times and got a buck and two does. My dad shot once and got a doe. I did let a kid from down the road hunt, and he missed a doe twice from 100 yards, before he connected on the third shot. I told him i may require a shooting test before i let him hunt next year.

drm-hp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    I KNOW of two horses and one cow that did not make it through firearm deer season.
    My wife's Aunt and dogs wear orange clothing from September thru February.
    I have had to hit the ground because I was shot at twice! First was someone I never met shooting a rifle at a buck between us. Second was a member of our group shooting at a running deer during a drive, this was buckshot.
    I have made mistakes also, primarily not checking if loaded after being handed a gun while they needed to do something, keeping your finger off the trigger is good safety habit, but checking is better.
    My point is this, people make mistakes! Some people make more than others! Stay away from people that you know are idiot's, do the best you can to not contribute to the problem.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I KNOW of two horses and one cow that did not make it through firearm deer season.
    My wife's Aunt and dogs wear orange clothing from September thru February.
    I have had to hit the ground because I was shot at twice! First was someone I never met shooting a rifle at a buck between us. Second was a member of our group shooting at a running deer during a drive, this was buckshot.
    I have made mistakes also, primarily not checking if loaded after being handed a gun while they needed to do something, keeping your finger off the trigger is good safety habit, but checking is better.
    My point is this, people make mistakes! Some people make more than others! Stay away from people that you know are idiot's, do the best you can to not contribute to the problem.

Ok, I have a couple things I wanna ask about this, but the main thing I wanna hear about is these horses and cows that didn’t make it...

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Ok, I have a couple things I wanna ask about this, but the main thing I wanna hear about is these horses and cows that didn’t make it...

When I was a kid, the neighbors lost a hereford steer during firearms season.

It was never proven, but it was always suspected to have NOT been a mistake. The neighbor had called the fish cops on another neighbor who was known for trespassing, night hunting, not buying a hunting license, shooting multiple antlered deer, etc. Didn't need to be Colombo to figure out what had happened.

drm-hp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    This happened in Michigan over the last 30 years.
    1 horse, near Huron national forest, opening weekend of fds. Farmer finds his horse at the edge of the pasture with a 30 caliber hole between its eyes.
    2nd horse, similar story in a small town in Ingham county.
    Cow was similar story, on a farm in Ingham county.
    I don't remember much more than that except that public property was where the shots were fired from.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Shot between the eyes say to me decent marksmanship.
    Who did the owner of the animals honk off?
    Might have been screwing around and needed a message.

Flip side..........have also heard of folks........having a bull that aint doing his job.
    Come hunting season he "accidentally" gets shot.

drm-hp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    A common poaching technique is to shine with a weak light then shoot between the shinning eyes. That way you are close, and typically no tracking job.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    A common poaching technique is to shine with a weak light then shoot between the shinning eyes. That way you are close, and typically no tracking job.

I have no respect for poachers. Poachers are people who suck at hunting and shooting, so have to get an advantage some way. I wish they’d give them a mandatory year in prison and lose their hunting license for life

Top Bottom