• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I need some help from my fellow INGOers. I know some of you on here are attorneys and some may even have experience with this matter. I just need a place to start and I'll do the rest. I've looked through the web but it's unclear as to what the steps are.

Im looking specifically for assistance on step parent adoption. I've had full custody ofnmy 9 year old since she was 2. My wife has been the only mother shes ever had. Her bio-mom moved to San Diego a couple years ago. She comes in a couple times a year.

Bio-mom agrees that having step-mom legally adopt our daughter is the right thing to do. Bio-mom says she will sign whatever she needs to. I contacted our attorney but we don't have 2k to do this right now and I've heard it's merely filing paperwork, going to a hearing, talking with a judge and it's done. There will be no fight in this, everyone is in agreement.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on the forms, how to file, who to contact? I'm in Johnson County.

Thank you all!

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    images

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Seriously... Contact your local government center. I'd start with the Franklin Courthouse. They should be able to provide you with the info on what part of this you can do on your own.

Good luck.

Thanks for the insights. I've actually called them and keep getting the run around.

The Franklin Courthouse seems to be unorganized if I'm being polite.

Rep coming your way.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    It's the government. You won't get any help over the phone. Go in person and be very...persistent. ;)

You know, I never really considered that. That is some great advice. I'll try that.

I guess I always figured you needed an appointment to go to the courthouse. Aside from having to testify in a few breach of contract cases, I've never had to go.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    FYI, Indiana treats all adoptions exactly the same - even if it's a step-parent adoption - as far as paperwork goes. You'll still have to go through a Home Study, which is REALLY easy, just paperwork intense (on top of whatever papers you have to file with the court). We went through Protect Our Children (Protect Our Children). They do precisely and exactly what is required for the adoption to get a hearing and nothing more. According to our lawyer, they are the least expensive around, but you're welcome to call around. This summer the rate was $700. On top of THAT charge, you'll also have to pay for the state background check (like getting your LTCH, except this time it goes directly to POC/<your home study agency>), unless you just had a background check done in the last year. Also, you'll need recent physical exams if you haven't had one in the last six months, and all of your pets will need to have their vaccinations current.

I'm guessing the $2k your lawyer quoted you didn't include that. So yes, you CAN file the court paperwork yourself (approximately $250 goes to the court for that), but just be prepared for the extra expense of the home study.

I can get you the name of our lawyer, if you want. He'd probably charge you about the same as what your lawyer quoted you, though.

:twocents:

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    And just to give you an idea of how recent my information is... our adoption was finalized on Monday 9/26 in the Johnson County court. https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/170858-exciting_news_from_the_missing_mods.html

We adopted our niece from my sister, and as in your case, all parties were agreeable. I know, not a step-parent adoption, but her roommates DID do a step-parent adoption about the same time as we did. We used the same lawyer, and the roommates highly recommended POC as well. The actual visit of the home study is pretty cursory... they just want to make sure you don't live in a pig sty and that you're adequately providing for the child (which I'm going to go on the safe assumption that you are).

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    And just to give you an idea of how recent my information is... our adoption was finalized on Monday 9/26 in the Johnson County court. https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/170858-exciting_news_from_the_missing_mods.html

We adopted our niece from my sister, and as in your case, all parties were agreeable. I know, not a step-parent adoption, but her roommates DID do a step-parent adoption about the same time as we did. We used the same lawyer, and the roommates highly recommended POC as well. The actual visit of the home study is pretty cursory... they just want to make sure you don't live in a pig sty and that you're adequately providing for the child (which I'm going to go on the safe assumption that you are).

Congratulations on the adoption. That is awesome!

Thank you for the real world experience. This is exactly why inposted on INGO and love this site so much.

Your assumption is very safe. Both of my daughters are very well provided for.

In really appreciate the insights. I'll look into the info you provided. If it costs 1k or 2k, it's the right thing to do.

Rep on the way.

Top Bottom