Not open for further replies.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I have noticed a couple of threads where new members have asked questions and the first response has been, "Do a search, we've talked about that many times." or "Just Google it, it's simple enough to find." I understand there is only so much information that can be discussed about guns, but maybe the question can be answered by someone who is willing to give the answer, instead of making new members feel like we are all know-it-all's and unwilling to provide a little help to new members.

While at the 1500, I've asked many new and long-time members why they don't post and many have stated, it's better to read and not reply to anything and get squashed by the "in-crowd."

If you don't want to answer the question about "OC vs. CC" or "What is your favorite 45 ACP load?" then don't reply and see if someone else is willing to answer the question. This will allow other members the chance to answer questions and leave newer members with a better feeling about INGO members.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Que, being a "veteran" of several internet Boards this issue is something that comes up often.
    Most of the "old timers" have asked and answered the major questions so many times it gets to be old. That is when FAQ's and searching get inserted and are pushed hard.
    There is no remedy, most n00b's don't want to take the time to learn the etiquette of the Board they have joined. Most old timers don't have the patience they once had.
    Yes the old timer attitude may drive away some n00b's, but it also serves to educate the n00b's that choose to stay on SOP of the Board.

You aren't going to stop either behavior and pushing too hard will open the "Us vs Them" attitude.

Yes there is a plethora of information on this Board, yes there are more than enough people willing to help n00b's, but you can't change the personality of the Board and the crusty old grumps are part of it.

I think if the practice of lashing n00b's for 30 days before allowing them to openly post were returned to all this would go away :D

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    Yeah, I basically stopped posting due to this and a few other reasons about 6 months or so ago. INGO has changed a lot. I still occasionally read, but if you do a search on me, you'll see it's been a long time since I've done any significant posting. INGO went from a community to a couple of clicks being D-bags.

Ok, back to my corner.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Que, being a "veteran" of several internet Boards this issue is something that comes up often.
    Most of the "old timers" have asked and answered the major questions so many times it gets to be old. That is when FAQ's and searching get inserted and are pushed hard.
    There is no remedy, most n00b's don't want to take the time to learn the etiquette of the Board they have joined. Most old timers don't have the patience they once had.
    Yes the old timer attitude may drive away some n00b's, but it also serves to educate the n00b's that choose to stay on SOP of the Board.

You aren't going to stop either behavior and pushing too hard will open the "Us vs Them" attitude.

Yes there is a plethora of information on this Board, yes there are more than enough people willing to help n00b's, but you can't change the personality of the Board and the crusty old grumps are part of it.

I think if the practice of lashing n00b's for 30 days before allowing them to openly post were returned to all this would go away :D

I'm not trying to change anyone and I'm certainly not attempting to make this plea turn into some huge war. It's simply my own way to encourage some to think before they post. I'm really not trying to get into a huge debate, just posting some observations and a simple plea to not run off the new members.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Just my :twocents:
    But...
    We seem to have a cadre of posters who's knowledge of firearms is limited to their experiences viewing TV and movies instead of living the lifestyle of a responsible gun owner.
    Their ONLY motives appear to be the foment of disruptive arguments between members, damn near always in the Political section.
    I've gone so far as to research a few members post history and found that some don't have a single post referring to their ownership, use of, or experiences with, firearms.
    You would think that the site name would indicate that the vast majority of the membership were gun owners, or people interested in becoming one.
    The post made earlier about not wanting to participate because of the fear of being dog piled by the "In crowd" sounds like the attitude of the majority of members.
    That's a shame because I'll bet that most members have interesting, thought provoking, and humerous stories that would be of interest to a large number of the members.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Just my :twocents:
    But...
    We seem to have a cadre of posters who's knowledge of firearms is limited to their experiences viewing TV and movies instead of living the lifestyle of a responsible gun owner.
    Their ONLY motives appear to be the foment of disruptive arguments between members, damn near always in the Political section.
    I've gone so far as to research a few members post history and found that some don't have a single post referring to their ownership, use of, or experiences with, firearms.

You would think that the site name would indicate that the vast majority of the membership were gun owners, or people interested in becoming one.
    The post made earlier about not wanting to participate because of the fear of being dog piled by the "In crowd" sounds like the attitude of the majority of members.
    That's a shame because I'll bet that most members have interesting, thought provoking, and humerous stories that would be of interest to a large number of the members.

UM, I'm specifically referring to the gun forums and not the political forums. I just don't want this to become confusing. I'm not talking about the political section in any way. I'm talking about members asking for gun advice and getting what could be determined to be a 'cold reply.'

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Que I so totally agree with you. There are several sites on the net that I refuse to join because their response to someone new is just that, "why don't you try the FAQ" or "how is your 'google-foo' ".

As someone who has learned a nice bit of info on a certain firearm group, I sometimes have to tell myself when I see the same question asked for the zillionth time by a newby that one time I too was new to the hobby, so I just answer the question like I have for the last zillion times understanding that one day hopefully this new guy will also have enough experience to be bothered!

So in agreement, I find it best to just suck it up and answer the question that I have answered so many times before, because maybe the person asking it is new to the whole system and doesn't know what "FAQ" even stands for.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I'm with Que on this. I'm willing to answer any question to the best of my abilities except in one area, reloading. I'm not willing to share load data over the Internet, this is a place where I have no way of knowing another persons experience on such matters. And when you get questions like "I just bought 8lbs of Unique, what's a good load for .44 magnum?" I'm not about to say a damn word other than "Find a reloading manual, and RTFM." It may sound like I'm attacking you or berating you, but really you should know better than to trust an anonymous person on the Internet for something as important as load data.

That's just my two cents.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    UM, I'm specifically referring to the gun forums and not the political forums. I just don't want this to become confusing. I'm not talking about the political section in any way. I'm talking about members asking for gun advice and getting what could be determined to be a 'cold reply.'
    Fair enough.
    Ignoring the area that you highlighted in my post is reasonable.
    I believe my contention that a few members here drive the majority underground, out of fear of mockery, is still valid.
    And it's a shame.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    The kilted one is wise.:D

I always try to answer the noobs question if I can. When I started out and asked questions people always asked me even if it had been covered. And of course Scutter was always there to mention some damn FAQ thing that I have yet to find.

I was new to forums when I started here so I really didn't have a clue, and even if you are familiar with forums they take a bit to figure out sometimes

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm with Que on this. I'm willing to answer any question to the best of my abilities except in one area, reloading. I'm not willing to share load data over the Internet, this is a place where I have no way of knowing another persons experience on such matters. And when you get questions like "I just bought 8lbs of Unique, what's a good load for .44 magnum?" I'm not about to say a damn word other than "Find a reloading manual, and RTFM." It may sound like I'm attacking you or berating you, but really you should know better than to trust an anonymous person on the Internet for something as important as load data.

That's just my two cents.

Hey guy, welcome to reloading. I'm not sure what projectile you are using, but here is a cool site for some reload data that could possibly help you out.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I never do any searchs (or not very often) on INGO before posting or starting a new thread.So im not going to tell a new menber to "Do a search before asking stupid simple questions".
    We all have been new here, will less knowledge that we have now, so let's not forget that and let's try to keep INGO a friendly place for everybody, especially friendly for new menbers and/or new gun owners.
    We already have (too) many anti-gun people out there, we need to be a united community of gun owners/ gun enthusiasts.
    We just cannot afford to treat new menbers like we know everything and like we are superior to them.
    I bet many new menbers have more gun knowledge than I do, and I bet we would all learn from them if we can get friendly enough from the start to make them feel welcome here and let them post their knowledge so that we can all learn from it.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The kilted one is wise.:D

I always try to answer the noobs question if I can. When I started out and asked questions people always asked me even if it had been covered. And of course Scutter was always there to mention some damn FAQ thing that I have yet to find.

I was new to forums when I started here so I really didn't have a clue, and even if you are familiar with forums they take a bit to figure out sometimes

Let's be honest. You STILL don't have a clue. :laugh:

And Que is right on. I try to search old threads for answers to my questions. But, sometimes it's more helpful, and knowledgable, to me anyway, to have the opportunity to ask the questions. I may find the answers from an old discussion, but sometimes they can lead to more questions. And I want to start a new thread and ask them.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom