• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    I was minding my own business while Southbound on Hwy 67 passing through Camby. Slowed for a red light at Heartland Blvd. and BOOM. struck from behind by a black Impala. Impala more than likely totaled, and my work van, while drivable, is no longer functional as the rear doors are toast. Sliding side door only opens about 75%. Van will probably be totaled as well, as the damage is going to be more than 'the vehicle is worth, as it is 10 yrs old and 250k miles. The one witness stated that the driver had his head down and was looking at his phone when he drifted into my lane and struck my van, and never applied the brakes. Impact at about 45-50mph. He wasn't injured and I just have a stiff neck. He admitted to the deputy that he had been texting at the time of impact and was cited for same. I guess I'll be shopping for a new van next week. Hope everyone else had a better day than mine. No texting while driving please.:(

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Sucks to be rear ended (sorry, had to). See the texting thing all the time. I wish they would make the penalty more severe not just a small fine if you are caught. Maybe in this case criminal charges for public endangerment or something along those lines.

On a "rear ended" side note.

I got nailed a couple years ago outside Muncie at a stop light. The lady wasn't texting though. I was sitting at the light and she nailed me doing about 30. Then backed up and hit me again. She was very lucky. She said her accelerator stuck and she couldn't stop in time. I was in our F150 and she was in some smaller car. I didn't see her coming up behind me so the first hit was a surprise. I figured that I had been hit pretty quick and looked in my mirror. I saw her back up off of me then slam forward and nail me again. The first thing that flashed in my head at that point was "this isn't a traffic accident, I'm being attacked". I came out of the truck and immediately had my hand on my Glock. (good reason to keep your gun in a holster instead of on or between your seats) She opened the door and slowly got out very apologetic with her hands in front of her. She told me her accelerator stuck and she was in such a panic after she hit me the first time she forgot to put her car in park after she backed up. After all was done and over with she thanked me for not shooting her and said she fully understood my reaction. I was dumbfounded by the entire situation for the rest of the day. She was lucky in more ways than one.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I see people do it all the time, drives me cray cray. I think it should be on the same level as impaired driving. Do it - go to jail.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Double check with your doctor for neck injuries or soft tissue injuries. I was rear-ended at a stoplight in Indy 15 years ago, and while my truck was okay, later at work I felt concussed and nauseous. I managed to drive home to C'ville, but it was a week before I felt back to normal.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was minding my own business while Southbound on Hwy 67 passing through Camby. Slowed for a red light at Heartland Blvd. and BOOM. struck from behind by a black Impala. Impala more than likely totaled, and my work van, while drivable, is no longer functional as the rear doors are toast. Sliding side door only opens about 75%. Van will probably be totaled as well, as the damage is going to be more than 'the vehicle is worth, as it is 10 yrs old and 250k miles. The one witness stated that the driver had his head down and was looking at his phone when he drifted into my lane and struck my van, and never applied the brakes. Impact at about 45-50mph. He wasn't injured and I just have a stiff neck. He admitted to the deputy that he had been texting at the time of impact and was cited for same. I guess I'll be shopping for a new van next week. Hope everyone else had a better day than mine. No texting while driving please.:(

I was in-route to meet the Mad Bomber and buy an optic from him today. In an 8 mile drive I had no less than 6 idiots near hit me/drift into my lane and 1 ran a red light right in front of me. Everyone was.....wait for it.....on the damn phone.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt. We certainly have too many distractions. I generally refrain from texting while driving and it really annoys me when people send me texts when THEY KNOW I'm driving.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    It's not just texting. I was pulling into work earlier this week, making a left hand turn (with green arrow) when A guy talking on his cell phone **mn near wiped me out. Never even slowed down.
    Would be a shame to retire my 14 year old, 138,000 mile car.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I see people do it all the time, drives me cray cray. I think it should be on the same level as impaired driving. Do it - go to jail.

I'm mad jelly when I see people texting and driving because I don't have enough friends that I have extended conversations with to be able to put me into a spot I'll run someone over while not paying attention. As far as distracted (texting, applying makeup, whatever) being on the same level as impaired driving, there have been studies for 4 or 5 years showing that distracted driving is more deadly than DUI/DWI.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Double check with your doctor for neck injuries or soft tissue injuries. I was rear-ended at a stoplight in Indy 15 years ago, and while my truck was okay, later at work I felt concussed and nauseous. I managed to drive home to C'ville, but it was a week before I felt back to normal.

Good advice. That hard of a hit can come back on you. I got rear ended a few years agodriving about 20 and hit by someone doing 50. Hard enough to buckle my Grand Cherokee.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Sucks to be rear ended (sorry, had to). See the texting thing all the time. I wish they would make the penalty more severe not just a small fine if you are caught. Maybe in this case criminal charges for public endangerment or something along those lines.

On a "rear ended" side note.

I got nailed a couple years ago outside Muncie at a stop light. The lady wasn't texting though. I was sitting at the light and she nailed me doing about 30. Then backed up and hit me again. She was very lucky. She said her accelerator stuck and she couldn't stop in time. I was in our F150 and she was in some smaller car. I didn't see her coming up behind me so the first hit was a surprise. I figured that I had been hit pretty quick and looked in my mirror. I saw her back up off of me then slam forward and nail me again. The first thing that flashed in my head at that point was "this isn't a traffic accident, I'm being attacked". I came out of the truck and immediately had my hand on my Glock. (good reason to keep your gun in a holster instead of on or between your seats) She opened the door and slowly got out very apologetic with her hands in front of her. She told me her accelerator stuck and she was in such a panic after she hit me the first time she forgot to put her car in park after she backed up. After all was done and over with she thanked me for not shooting her and said she fully understood my reaction. I was dumbfounded by the entire situation for the rest of the day. She was lucky in more ways than one.

I had my accelerator stick. Funny thing is, neutral fixed that long enough to not crash.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I had my accelerator stick. Funny thing is, neutral fixed that long enough to not crash.

I had a truck that had a not so reliable carb. It stuck several times before I got around to a replacement. Neutral was my friend while coming to stop signs and lights. I did look like a d-bag though as I had no cats and glasspacks.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    You could have come to me and gotten checked out. I was on until 11p tonight just south of you. Had a few car accident patients but none from yours. 45mph impact without injury is pretty impressive, glad you guys were OK.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    Op, if your neck is stiff from the impact, go get it checked out. You may have some slight whiplash/muscle strain goin on. Either way, if it turns out you do or don't, you will be glad in the long run. Trust me I know! I have still have neck issues/pain occaisionally from being rear-ended near 20 years ago.
    Hopefully the person that hit you has insurance. You can send the doctor bills to his insurance for payment, not to mention ammunition for a court case, should it go to that point.
    Glad you're ok. Good luck!

Top Bottom