• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Thanks everyone for the great responses! It sounds like it's not unreasonable to make being able to shoot on the property a high priority criterion. I figured I would talk to the neighbors and let them know at least; I may try to meet some of them before I buy too. It would be a serious bummer to buy a property only to find out afterwards I'm going to have to fight with a neighbor for the rest of my life about shooting on my own land. It does sound like a wonderful thing, to be able to go out and shoot on your own property :-)

This is your best bet. Try to talk to your potential neighbors before you buy. The County has changed in the past decade. Used to be no problem to shoot. That is changing more and more every day.

LE seems to be bothered by the complaints of shooting noise as much as we are. One came to my place once and was mad because I didn't invite him. Pretty true of most of them.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I really only had one "neighbor" when I moved in to my place. When I was buying the place the former owner would shoot here "oh yeah, nobody ever complained, we shot a lot".... turns out his idea of shooting 'a lot' was once every month or so during the summer to "cycle the rounds in his gun". lolz.

Anyway, I shoot. A lot. As in a few times a week and usually one of those days sees.... "a lot". I talked to the closest "neighbor" not long after moving in but before I built up my berm, the only one it would truly have any real issue with and said "I noticed every so often you have your children and grandkids over, I've made it a point to try and not shoot when you're out there with them." Not really see them per say but I could hear them. It's a few hundreds away from where I shoot, not close nor do I ever shoot in that direction but it was a... preemption for what I knew might come.

This built on other conversations but helped to lay some ground work for what was to come and that I was trying to extend an olive branch. Luckily he said he did notice that and appreciated it. It was an easy branch anyway, they only visit like that maybe once every 6-8 weeks and not during the winter. I told him I couldn't always guarantee it but whenever I could I didn't mind and again offered him to come and shoot with me. They aren't into guns and don't want to try either. That's been 4 years now, no complaints from him to the sheriff (who I know casually) and I'm happy about that.

Long story short, he knows he can't stop me and even if they did a county ban, it'd have to be one over 1,000' to even work which isn't happening. Still, I don't want to be "that a-hole" either.

May or may not work if you find yourself in a situation but it's some food for thought coming from a guy who sends thousands of rounds downrange a month in a blue/red county.

Dybber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    South side Indy
    It’s fine in that area. As mentioned before, it’s outside city limits. I was shooting in Columbus today very close to 46 and SR 7. You’re good, be safe and have fun!

Top Bottom