• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    House was built in early 2000's and we bought it last year. Always had this slight knock, but figured it was air in the lines or something. Investigated it today looking for loose pipes, but that wasn't the thing. All the sound is coming from the main water valve in the basement. Any suggestions as to what it might be? Is the valve shot, can I fix it? Do I need to call a plumber?

[video=youtube_share;nY_PAxphcso]https://youtu.be/nY_PAxphcso[/video]

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So I assume the water is running while this happens?

Edit: and it quits when the water stops flowing?

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Yes it is the water meter.

Yes, washer was running when I took this. Happens with the toilet and dishwasher as well

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Step 1, see if the meter is actually spinning at full speed.
    Step 2, if not, determine if a lower water bill is worth the noise.

And if They dont want to dispatch, ask them where to drop off the meter when you are done bypassing it to make your home quieter/liveable. That should get them moving. LOL

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    As pointed out upstream try to determine if the meter is registering accurately before complaining. In a previous home our gas bill suddenly dropped to the minimum of about $15 per month for several years. We had been working on insulating the house better so just accepted that our efforts were working. At least that's the story we were going with! Anywho about 2 months before we sold the house the gas bill reverted to where it should be, it seems that the broken glass covering the dials had allowed water into the mechanism and caused everything to stop working properly!!! The replacement meter stopped our discounted gas service, I figure that little feature saved me close to $800 over the duration of the failure.:rockwoot:

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I called the water dept and they are sending someone out tomorrow. I'd rather pay the extra in water than to have this noise continue. I believe it is contributing to my son waking up early when my wife or I get up and start getting ready in the morning shower/toliet/etc, since the meter is directly under his bedroom. That and its gotten to the point where its just flat out annoying as we continue to fix up the house, I can only ignore it so long.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    1. The meter was still functioning properly, and registering all the water being used, so I didn't get to sneak one by the gubberment.
    2. New smart meter installed along with a new transmitter. Water runs silent in the house now.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. The meter was still functioning properly, and registering all the water being used, so I didn't get to sneak one by the gubberment.
    2. New smart meter installed along with a new transmitter. Water runs silent in the house now.

Nice to hear the resolution. Glad you got it worked out.

Top Bottom