• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Who decided we needed PVC and CPVC with different ODs and fittings! Now a project which would have been 5 minutes with a sharkbite push connect coupling will result in another trip to the store to collect more fittings, glue, and extra pipe all so I can water my grass..... :ranton:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Recently my boy ran over the clean out in the yard with the mower. So I get the broken coupler in the trash and measure the pipe. 6&1/4" od and off to the hardware store where the plumbing supply dude says oh yeah its 6" id here is what you need. Looks like what I threw away so I buy it. Get home...$@&€ it doesn't fit. Took it back and had to look at 3 different stores and none had a 6 & 1/4" coupler. Then I find out I need to go to a plumbing supply store because its green pvc schedule 30 pvc pipe and the dimensions are different. So I run over to Winthrop supply and get what I need. All that for a simple clean out coupler and plug

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    There’s a free source of knowledge. It’s called “YouTube”. Well. It also contains a lot of noise, so...

Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    I’m assuming since you mentioned a 5 minute fix that this isn’t underground. Sharkbites do not fare well buried. They need to be wrapped with sharkbite brand tape. Sorry to denny, carry on.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If a plumbing job is worth doing, it's worth at least three trips to the hardware store.
    This was only a two trip job.
    I’m assuming since you mentioned a 5 minute fix that this isn’t underground. Sharkbites do not fare well buried. They need to be wrapped with sharkbite brand tape. Sorry to denny, carry on.
    Yes above ground. The line from the vacuum breaker back to the valves had a minor leak. I'm guessing freeze damage from the previous owner. The pipe was split on two sides just enough to dribble water out until the pipe was flexed, then it would put out a fine mist. Shark bite had a fitting that slipped on one side so you could chop off up to two inches of damaged pipe. Appealing since I needed to remove less than an inch. I've now replaced a larger section using new pipe and two couplers. Just turned the water back on and tested the system. So far the line is dry and the grass is wet.
    Isn't CPVC supposed to be for hot water? And why would you want to water your grass with hot water???

Great question, the rest of the house is PEX. Until yesterday I thought PVC was PVC. :dunno:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    https://www.commercial-industrial-s...ats-the-difference-between-pvc-and-cpvc-pipe/

There are a few other differences between the two materials. Most North American PVC pipe uses a Nominal Pipe Size (NPS), while CPVC is available in either NPS standard sizing -OR- CTS (Copper Tube Size) sizing.
    The copper tube sizing system is an entirely different sizing system from Nominal Pipe Size, and as the name implies it is the same system used for copper tube pipe.
    Before purchasing CPVC be aware of what your use will be, and what sizing system you require. Color can be a clue, too. Often CTS CPVC is a light yellowish color, while schedule 80 CPVC (NPS) is a light gray color.

Top Bottom