• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Yesterday my wife, her son and myself were shooting pupmkins on the vacant property that ajoins my property (I have permission). We were shooting 38spc and 40 cal pistol, nothing too loud. After about 10-15 min a woman walked across the field and said we were bothering her horses, and that she has had 4 horses shot in the last 5 years. She went on to accuse me of being on the property without permission and no-one was supposed to be hunting there. She was extremely rude. I maintained my composure, and went home. Since I was on someone elses property I didnt want to get them involved. When I got on my own property hell was unleashed!! I broke out the ar's, the ak's (lots of bump firing) the 357's and 45's. This continued for about an hour and a half straight non-stop. I knew the police were being called and I was trying to keep it up till they arrived. It took them about two hours to respond, so things were pretty much cleaned up when they arrived.
    They actually arrived kinda smiling and asked if I heard any shooting around here, told them it was me. They just wanted to see if I was shooting in a safe direction, then told me to carry on, be safe, and headed on to their cars.
    I innitiated a little small talk conversatio, they responded politely, then hurried along as if they had something more important to do, which I suppose they did...catching real criminals!
    On a side note anyone who has had 4 horses shot must have some enemys, I cant see that being accidental. Mines never been shot, and the shooting wasnt bothering it either.
    Over all very good experience with Harrison countys finest++1 1

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    thats how it should always be...unfortunately here in marion county you cant fire on property even if your own or have permission...some county ordinance crapola

and re: the ladys horses...once is accidental...4 times is not

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    +1 for the responding officers, but I'll be honest, while you weren't doing anything wrong, I think your response was just as rude as she was to you in the first place.

That lady is likely even more convinced that it was you that shot her horses (even if you didn't), and is probably going around telling everyone she knows now about the a-hole who not only shot her horses, but then went about making all kinds of noise after she asked you to stop.

Just my :twocents:.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    +1 for the responding officers, but I'll be honest, while you weren't doing anything wrong, I think your response was just as rude as she was to you in the first place.

That lady is likely even more convinced that it was you that shot her horses (even if you didn't), and is probably going around telling everyone she knows now about the a-hole who not only shot her horses, but then went about making all kinds of noise after she asked you to stop.

I kinda support the OP. He said she was rude. I can almost put myself in his shoes. How many times have you been out shooting and minding your own business when a rude lib busybody sticks their nose into a peaceful afternoon of plinking?

Anyway, all is well that ends well.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have encountered this same situation before, but the offended person actually called the owner of the property to complain. County police were called, and the end result was that the officer told the person complaining that they needed to either deal with it, or move inside city limits if they didnt like their neighbors shooting guns on occasion. The best part was that we were only shooting a .22 rifle when they complained.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In

Well thats your :twocents:, but I've only lived in this house just over a year , she knows I didnt shoot her horses. And four horse shootings would make the paper around here, and aint nothing been in the paper bout it (I've lived in this county for nearly 40 years) I dont think four of her horses got shot, shes just anti !

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I would have done the same thing as the OP. When she complained, I would have politely told her I had permission to be there, but would probably have moved on to avoid getting the owner involved. I would have also told her that once on my own property, I was well within my rights to shoot and would continue to do so. I would have done my best to reassure her that I was doing everything safely, but that was how it was going to be.

To the OP, you need to come buy a house on my road. Four houses in a row, including mine are filled with firearms enthusiasts. On Christmas Day, it sounds like Iwo Jima to the West of me. The whole family is a bunch of gun fanatics and that's all they give as gifts on Christmas. To the East, there are two kids in their early 20's that love their guns. I've never shot with them, but whatever they have, it sounds like a freakin howitzer going off every weekend. I think the boys like their large calibers.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Well thats your :twocents:, but I've only lived in this house just over a year , she knows I didnt shoot her horses. And four horse shootings would make the paper around here, and aint nothing been in the paper bout it (I've lived in this county for nearly 40 years) I dont think four of her horses got shot, shes just anti !

So I presume then that she's lived there longer than you, correct? Not that it gives her any additional rights, but it also may mean that you really don't know your neighbor. Do you know she's an anti?

The reason I'm critical of the actions, is that you reacted to someone being rude to you, by being even more rude in return. I've been in your shoes in a similar circumstance, and in circumstances that invovled my neighbors doing things that I didn't appreciate (loud music and loud cars when my infant daughter was sleeping late at night / early morning). Nothing wrong with the activity, as a person playing their stereo isn't illegal, neither is driving a car early in the morning with a very loud exhaust system.

Your actions are completely understandable, and is what my immediate thoughts would have been too. But what was the outcome now. You probably feel better, especially since you're posting about it. But what do you think your neighbor is going to do the next time you're out shooting?

What could have happend if you'd have said "Sorry ma'am, I didn't reallize I was spooking your horses. We'll be done shooting soon."

Lets face it, gun-owners are already under fire and have a stereotype. Did you do anything to help show that the majority of gun-owners are in fact good and responsible neighbors? That we are aware that the same rights that we so love don't give us any more right or reason to infringe on someone elses rights or make them uncomfortable?

We all have situations like this every day that we react to. It is easy to be rude, mean, etc. in return...but what happens when you are instead polite, and take the other person's complaint for what it is?

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I'm wondering why you were on the property that adjoins yours to shoot if you were able to go back to your own property and shoot your "ar's, the ak's 357's and 45's".
    Were you trying to intimidate this lady or did you have prior knowledge that she didn't like shooting? If she was right that there was not supposed to be hunting there, I could see why she would come out to confront you. She must be a brave lady to do that with all that shooting. It wouldn't surprise me if over the years some of her horses had been shot by hunters. I had a doberman that was killed one deer season (didn't make the papers).

Just wondering. I think you were within your right to do what you did, but I kinda feel sorry for this lady.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    I was on his property with permission shooting pumpkins because there is a huge sinkhole there that we shoved the pumpkin guts in after shooting, made cleanup a breeze.
    I wasn't hunting, so that was totally irrelevant. I wasn't trying to intimidate anyone. When the police came to my house they told me that she is a "frequent caller". I can see how one dog shot wouldn't make the paper, but four animal shootings would, heck it would probably make the news.
    She has a right to have her horse, I have a right to bear arms, and I live in the country so that I can shoot those arms. I am far enough away that it shouldn't be any real bother, she's just being nasty, and she has a track record to prove it.
    I'm wondering why you were on the property that adjoins yours to shoot if you were able to go back to your own property and shoot your "ar's, the ak's 357's and 45's".
    Were you trying to intimidate this lady or did you have prior knowledge that she didn't like shooting? If she was right that there was not supposed to be hunting there, I could see why she would come out to confront you. She must be a brave lady to do that with all that shooting. It wouldn't surprise me if over the years some of her horses had been shot by hunters. I had a doberman that was killed one deer season (didn't make the papers).

Just wondering. I think you were within your right to do what you did, but I kinda feel sorry for this lady.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    So I presume then that she's lived there longer than you, correct? Not that it gives her any additional rights, but it also may mean that you really don't know your neighbor. Do you know she's an anti?
    If I wanted to know my neighbors I would live in a subdivision, with a home owners association

The reason I'm critical of the actions, is that you reacted to someone being rude to you, by being even more rude in return. I've been in your shoes in a similar circumstance, and in circumstances that invovled my neighbors doing things that I didn't appreciate (loud music and loud cars when my infant daughter was sleeping late at night / early morning). Nothing wrong with the activity, as a person playing their stereo isn't illegal, neither is driving a car early in the morning with a very loud exhaust system.

I chose where I live so I wont hear loud music or loud cars, and so I can enjoy the things I like to do. Isolation has benefits and disadvantages.

Your actions are completely understandable, and is what my immediate thoughts would have been too. But what was the outcome now. You probably feel better, especially since you're posting about it. But what do you think your neighbor is going to do the next time you're out shooting?

Next time she will probably stomp her feet and cuss me, reallly not much more she can do.

What could have happend if you'd have said "Sorry ma'am, I didn't reallize I was spooking your horses. We'll be done shooting soon."

I did tell her that I wouldnt shoot there anymore, and left immediatly

Lets face it, gun-owners are already under fire and have a stereotype. Did you do anything to help show that the majority of gun-owners are in fact good and responsible neighbors?

We were wearing ear plugs and eye protection
    That we are aware that the same rights that we so love don't give us any more right or reason to infringe on someone elses rights or make them uncomfortable?
    I didnt complain about the smell of her horses

We all have situations like this every day that we react to. It is easy to be rude, mean, etc. in return...but what happens when you are instead polite, and take the other person's complaint for what it is?
    If she would have said "look I'm sick, or I have family over can you do this another time?" I would have kindly abliged, but she was a rude biotch.
    So what should I do, look for a new house and interview all the local residents to make sure its ok with them if I shoot? Sorry aint happening.
    Besides thispost is about the police responding in a positive manner not the nasty lady down the road.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    If she would have said "look I'm sick, or I have family over can you do this another time?" I would have kindly abliged, but she was a rude biotch.
    So what should I do, look for a new house and interview all the local residents to make sure its ok with them if I shoot? Sorry aint happening.
    Besides thispost is about the police responding in a positive manner not the nasty lady down the road.

I would get written permission from the owner, be sure my range is good, and tell her to call

wambulance3.jpg

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    I live in norhtern harrison county never had any problems with any of the people around me just lucky i guess. But as many rounds as i let go my neighbor's would think something was wrong if they didn't hear shooting. I guess it's all in the way you break them in.

Top Bottom