• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Super weird factoid?

I had ZERO adrenaline dump. Zero fear. It was all very transactional. And much of it seemed like a training evo. None. That's one of the most curious, and almost disturbing things that has come from this, for me. I have had people tell me it will hit later.

I totally get this. I've had very similar situations with guns pointed at me. Once, several guns pointed at me from just a few feet away. And they were fully prepared to use them. It hit me the next morning (I actually got pretty scared the next day and frankly, was a bit embarrassed by it) but I don't think I've ever thought more clearly and more calmly than when it was going down.

I don't post much in here but I've had a LOT of tactical training. Literally hundreds, probably a couple of thousand of hours over the past 20+ years. Much of it at quote/unquote high-speed government schools. I can remember only a handful of instructors or schools that I thought were preparing me realistically. Most of them taught me a lot, but to me there is a big difference between being taught and being prepared. Lots of guys have learned things but aren't really prepared. If that makes any sense.

I don't say that to put myself up as something special. I say all that to say this, for what it's worth: Shay/Mindset Lab is the place to go to get prepared.

You'll be more ready for a real-life situation than a billion rounds down range in your plate carrier and thigh rig that you'll never have with you when the real world happens to you anyway. Put your ego on the shelf for a day and go get some training there. You will not just be taught, you will start your journey to tactical preparedness.

Kudos to you, WETSU for surviving--that's the goal--not killing the bad guy. Kudos for you sharing it openly too. You're a good dude and I'm glad we didn't lose you.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Russ- thanks for sharing this. It couldn't have happened to a better dude.:):

I do have a few random questions--

Did the frisker ever come close to discovering your gun? Did you consider a COA if it was discovered?

Was the holdup more opportunistic or do you believe there was a plan involved?

Would you be able to ID these guys if you saw them again?

Were you carrying anything in your hands during the holdup? Were you wearing gloves?

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    No. He was searching my pockets for stuff, not patting me down for weapons. He wasn't even close. He hit my vest when patted my front hoodie pockets. Had he hit my pistol, it would have been full on ECQC weapons retention.

I think it was random, but they had done this before, or practiced it.

I could not ID them in a line up. Very average. Generic kids.

I had nothing in my hands. Not in my pockets. No gloves. Head up and on a swivel.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    No. He was searching my pockets for stuff, not patting me down for weapons. He wasn't even close. He hit my vest when patted my front hoodie pockets. Had he hit my pistol, it would have been full on ECQC weapons retention.

I think it was random, but they had done this before, or practiced it.

I could not ID them in a line up. Very average. Generic kids.

I had nothing in my hands. Not in my pockets. No gloves. Head up and on a swivel.

Critiquing yourself overall, could you have done anything different?

blacknwhite

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2016
    southwest
    I like the since and philosophy behind this. When we were selecting new members for TNT the motto was thinkers before shooters. You can teach anyone to shoot well. It's finding the right person that can make decisions in a high stress environment that we were looking for.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Can you care to give an in-general 'hood in Ft. Fun where this happened?

I have plenty of family up that direction and I'd like to let them know if this happened near them. (Plus other INGOers who may read this, too)

If you'd rather not give out that information, I understand.

Thanks.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ok, I'm the n00b. What does COA stand for in this context?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    You guys crack me up.

Yeah the neighborhood in Fort Wayne was Southwood park, a very nice older neighborhood (Old Mill Road) just by Foster. Actual location was the corner of Lexington and Beaver, behind the woods on the Taylor/Bible College campus. As far as the FWPD and AC sheriff's dept, this was a first in this AO.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    With more coffee in my system, I think I have a coherent question. :)

If kid had not felt your vest or didn't recognize what it is, do you think they would've run anyway or would it have turned into a standoff? I agree that once the kid put the gun "down" it revealed that he didn't want to shoot anyone. But, I wonder how long it would've lasted. What would the exit strategy be?

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I think they would have popped smoke and left in seconds when they realized I seriously didn't have ****. If they hit my gun, things would have changed. Frisker may have had the same reaction "oh sheet" and booked, or had me made a grab for it, I would have gone into retention mode. I had other options. Less perfect, but had it gone there, I could have executed them. Space, positioning, movement, force etc.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Thanks again. I understand none of us can predict the future. :) It seems like this kind of truly random robbery (particularly if it is the first in that area) the perps are looking for an easy hit. Shooting somebody raises the ante considerably more than they're willing to bet.

Top Bottom