• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Other than being able to see how many rounds are left in the mag, is there really any advantage to having a mag with a window on it?

I'm new to the AR as far as private ownership goes and was just wondering which would be better to invest my money in.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I have no exp with the windowed, but see no reason for it. When I need to change the mag, I will. Other than that, I see it as another fail point on an important part.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    "I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?" - Harry Callahan.

^^^ That's why.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    I've heard they come in handy in certain situations, training I particular. I don't know that I have heard any disadvantages to having a windowed but the advantages like I said seem to be situational.

jotto

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    NW Indiana
    For the typical user there is no real advantage to having a window. If you shoot 3 gun they come in a little handy. Nothing game changing but nice.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    For training I think the non windowed are better. You need to learn how to react to the "click" and not anticipate it. You will then eventually figure out how to speed up your reloads and jams, and not lean on the "crutch" of the windowed mag. Also, you need to take your eyes off of the situation to look at the window...bad idea.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I have no exp with the windowed, but see no reason for it. When I need to change the mag, I will. Other than that, I see it as another fail point on an important part.

My mags are non-windowed because the window seemed like a potential failure point. If if gets pushed in, will it jam the spring? If it cracks, will it let dust and moisture in? I haven't examined them closely but it seemed like paying more for a potential problem.

Of course, on the other hand, if I had ordered windowed mags from DSG then I would have 10 more now instead of a backorder.

Signal23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Greenwood
    If you do an administrative reload (at you time of choice, not fully empty) you can later, should you need to reload that mag in the gun and know at a glance if you have 5 or20 rounds left.....thats about the only advantage.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I have a few of each. Both are fine. The funny thing about the window mags is that you can only see 7 rounds on each side anyway when the mag is loaded to its 30-round capacity. If you have 16 rounds or less in the mag, you can't see them through the window anymore, and unless you've been counting, you can't tell how many rounds are in the mag, you just know its about half full or less at that point. They do look cool, nice for carrying in demonstrations at the State Capitol building. :D

Signal23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Greenwood
    I have a few of each. Both are fine. The funny thing about the window mags is that you can only see 7 rounds on each side anyway when the mag is loaded to its 30-round capacity. If you have 16 rounds or less in the mag, you can't see them through the window anymore, and unless you've been counting, you can't tell how many rounds are in the mag. They do look cool, nice for carrying in demonstrations at the State Capitol building. :D

The newer ones have a marking on the side of the mag (1-30) and a bright orange mark on the spring that shows you where you are in round count.

LOOK for the orange.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The newer ones have a marking on the side of the mag (1-30) and a bright orange mark on the spring that shows you where you are in round count.

LOOK for the orange.

Yeah, mine do. I figure its more for when you do a tac reload you know how many rounds are still in that mag. In training I've never looked at them while in the rifle to figure it out, but when it comes time to reload its nice to know how many I need to top off.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN

LOOK for the orange.

I just learned something new today. That's what I love about this website. Walked over to my vault, grabbed one of my pmags and peeled 5 rounds off the top. Orange noted. I'm not sure if I feel smarter now, or more stupid! But Thanks! :) :yesway::yesway:

aarndt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Indianapolis,IN
    I think the bearded men of Magpul were sitting in the magazine assembly room one day and thought that if they added a clear piece of plastic to the side they could charge $3 more per mag knowing people would buy them because buyers would make up reasons to believe they were different. :dunno:

Top Bottom