• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Is PMC ammo any good? I am looking to buy a case of green tip and that is all I can find at a good price.

Last edited:

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I guess I posted that badly. What I should have asked is it as good as Federal M855 62 gr green tip?

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Thanks for the information. I think I will keep hunting for Federal. My rifles seem to like it. The only thing that I have tried that they like better is my hand loads.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Maybe. Define good. Reliable in an off-the-shelf commercial rifle? Precise in your specific rifle? More precise than Federal M855 in your rifle? Shoot the same zero as Federal M855 in your rifle? Are you comparing a PMC M855 spec round or some other PMC .223 or 5.56 round?

Assuming they are both M855 spec, and you aren't going for some relatively high level of precision, I bet you'd have to shoot a fair amount to see the difference. Just my experience.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've shot a couple cases of PMC Bronze in .223. They have all went bang with no ammo specific malfunctions. All in carbine courses of one sort or another, so I cannot speak to accuracy beyond sighting in. No one holers with the red dot, sadly none with the scope either.

I will say that I have noticed some inconsistency in loading's. Not unusual to have an exceptionally loud report and recoil or an unnervingly low powered "pop." No bad results though.

wolfeden

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Medaryville
    I use a lot of PMC in .308 over the years. I have never had any kind of issue with it. Seems to leave very little mess to clean out when I am done. Here is a photo of 20 rounds in a target @ 100 yards. My son gets a little cocky sometimes and I have to set him straight. He is getting real accurate with his shots at the age of 13. I set the bar high for him and it usually shuts him up. Got to give them something to work for. IMG_2614.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2614.jpg
      IMG_2614.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 15

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    What size groups are you getting with Federal? I still have a lot of it on stripper clips.

I've shot both Federal xm855 and steel cased Wolf out to 500 yards and the Wolf wins in accuracy. I don't recall any groups smaller than 2 MOA using the Federal. This out of a 14.5" AR so maybe not as accurate as your hunting gun.

Steel core isn't meant to be accurate. It's made to fly about 600 yards and still go through an enemy's helmet.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    What size groups are you getting with Federal? I still have a lot of it on stripper clips.

I've shot both Federal xm855 and steel cased Wolf out to 500 yards and the Wolf wins in accuracy. I don't recall any groups smaller than 2 MOA using the Federal. This out of a 14.5" AR so maybe not as accurate as your hunting gun.

Steel core isn't meant to be accurate. It's made to fly about 600 yards and still go through an enemy's helmet.

855 isn't known for its accuracy. It's said that the steel penetrator can be not perfectly concentric and cause inaccuracy. 55 gr and 62 gr non-penetrator rounds are typically more accurate than the 855.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    For me it seems like I can get around a inch then get a flyer that opens it up to past a inch to about 1.5" with the Federal. That flyer can come in on any of the five shots. With my hand loads I can get less than an inch. Fairly consistently. I am just looking for back up ammo that will shoot close to a inch.

Thank you all for your time.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    evolevo
    Top Bottom