• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Augustine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    South Bend
    I don't really know much about revolvers and I have little experience shooting them. However, I wouldn't mind getting something small that I could pocket carry during the summers while still enjoying it at the range. I've looked at the Ruger LCR and that seems to be right about in my price range (300-400). Any suggestions?

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    From what I have seen and read the LCR is an excellent choice. But hey what do I know for pocket carry I use a PF9. I still have a S&W 36 but dont carry anymore not since getting the PF9.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I own both an LCR and a Smith and Wesson 642. The LCR has, hands down, the best DAO trigger pull I've ever felt. The 642 is just a little bit more compact than the LCR, so it seems to get carried the majority of the time. I will say the trigger on the S&W has gotten better with each 100 rounds fired, but it will never be as good as the LCR. Both are excellent shooters from reasonably close distances, but not what I would consider great range toys.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    My dad picked up an LCR in 357 recently, and it's one heck of a revolver - what everybody is saying about the trigger is spot-on.

I'd pick one up if I got a good deal, I suppose, but I'm loyal to my J-Frame 438. I prefer a hammer so I can shoot single action if I need to, and on a pocket-carry a shrouded hammer rocks it out.

I carry in my jeans pocket from time to time, and since it's not 1970something and I wear relaxed fit jeans, you can't really tell. When I sit down you can see that I've got something in my pocket, but it could just as well be a cell phone or keys or something - it doesn't show when you wear it in a pocket holster..

Neal

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    North central Indiana
    I just went to the Ruger website and looked at the LCRs. Very lightweight, choice of .22 LR, 38 Spl, and .357 Mag. And according to you guys a very good DA trigger pull. All very tempting. But I would have to be able to get past the butt-ugly factor before I could buy one. :laugh: maybe someday.......

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I have a Taurus 605; .357 snubbie, (although with full hammer.)

I pocket carry it all the time. Never had the hammer snag on the way out, and I think I bought it brand new for like $320 out the door.

ductileiron98

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    I love my 38special +p .357 Smith and Wesson Air Lite. Mine has the Scandium Frame with the Titainium Wheel. Weight is 12oz. empty. Mean little piece. I use 38 special +p hollow points in mine. The .357 ammo is a bit to much..

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've got a S&W bodyguard 38. For me, it was between that and the LCr and the smith won out, by a nose. Either one would serve you well.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Just picked up a LCR .38 with the XS front sight and I love it. Nice trigger and so easy to carry.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Honestly, for a pocket snubbie, any of the major brand names will probably serve you well. Its just a matter of choosing the caliber, (.38 or .357?) the frame material, (scandium, titanium, steel?) grip size, and how much you want to spend. *shrug*

serf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Greenwood
    walked in the gun shop with a similar budget and after holding and dry firing a couple different ones i raised my price range a bit. Find something you are comfortable with. I don't find my ruger to be hard to conceal at all.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    In revolver, a 642 was my choice. The Taurus never entered the running and the LCR wasn't around then. If I went out to make that same choice today, I *believe* I would still make the same decision.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Honestly, for a pocket snubbie, any of the major brand names will probably serve you well. Its just a matter of choosing the caliber, (.38 or .357?) the frame material, (scandium, titanium, steel?) grip size, and how much you want to spend. *shrug*

I agree with this. Try out a variety of grips and weights and see how they fit you. I settled on a Taurus 85 Ultralite. The grip is small, it's light and shoots okay. And the price was great too.

To be honest, I dont' care much how the trigger feels in a snubbie. Size, weight and grip were most important to me. And since a lot of them felt very similar, price came into play. I even looked at a few Charter Arms and Rossi models before going with the Taurus.

Top Bottom