• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I have been looking at one of these to carry in my BOB. Pocket chainsaws run about $20 with shipping. Today I found military style wire saws for $10. Says can withstand up to 100lbs pressure. I am not an expert with either, but I figured someone would be able to steer me in a good direction.

doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    I've used the Military version a few times. Not great at all. Better off with a knife really. Stupid thing is akward to use and doesn't do a very good job.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I've never found one to work very well. A good knife and a rock to pound thru a tree has worked better, faster, with much less effort.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    If you are actually planning on cutting a lot of wood I would suggest using a 24" bow saw, the hollow aluminum tubed ones are lightweight but they are sort of bulky so they are best carried strapped to the outside of a pack.

But I've found that they are well worth the bit of hassle to carry around as they can cut more wood with less effort much faster than pocket/wire saws or machetes or even camp hatchets.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    You can get a great pocket Chain saw at Countycomm.com right now for less than $20.00. I personally would opt for a Silky Saw, either the folder or the fixed, in the coarse teeth model.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I cover this in my wilderness survival class at length. There are really good saws and terrible ones. We are talking about a couple different things here.

The OP asked about pocket chainsaws vs wire saws. Not hatchets or bow saws. A wire saw or pocket chainsaw has advantages over hawks, hatchets, folding saws or bow saws. Each has it's use.

I will say this. Wire saws break. They just do. Even the good ones. "Good" is a function of how well they cut. The good ones have a very aggressive cutting wire, one that feels uncomfortable to run through your fist.They run $10 or so. The crappy ones simply do not cut worth a damn, oh and then they break.

Now, the pocket chainsaw or chainsaw in a can is a totally different animal. I am a HUGE fan of this saw. It fits into a can the size of a Skoal can. It can cut seasoned hardwood the size of my thigh into whatever length I need. It is built like a two way chainsaw chain, linked and pinned, and comes with two wire loops to connect to the end. Fashion a couple wooden handles and run them through the loops and you are a freakin survival lumberjack.

I heartily recommend the chainsaw in a can. The $20 is well spent.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I have a UST pocket chain saw called the "sabercut". It works well and is about 24 bucks and could fit in a pocket.

I'd never haul my real chainsaw in a pocket........

ARGarrison

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Indiana, of course
    I keep a SAS Commando Saw in my survival kit. SAS COMMANDO SAW - Brigade Quartermasters

It's the best wire saw I've found. The key to using a wire saw is to make them into a bow saw. This is done by using a green limb and notching the ends to hold the blade. I like the Commando saw becasue it serves double duty as a saw and as a snare if need be. It has two sizes of rings that allow one end to pass through the other making the snare.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Foldable pruning saws are cheap and cuts trees pretty well (it's what they're made to do, after all). I do like the pocket chain saw better than the wire saws for all the reasons stated by other posters.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Tyler34, I like that and will put a couple together this evening! I picked this up for $20 and love it. The cigarette pack is there to reference size.
    5.jpg
    4.jpg
    3.jpg
    2.jpg

silkpoet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    SW Indiana
    I have always hated those things. They tear up your hands and break at the wrong times. I would recommend a trusty hatchet or axe, or at least a good knife. They have a better range of use and will never let you down.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07M61bPzqSM]YouTube - Pocket Chainsaw Test from U.S. Cavalry[/ame]

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Just bought a pocket chainsaw. Not in yet because I mean I just now bought it. Never used one before, but the ideas and comments in here talked me into it.

I can see how it would be easier to use than the hatchet on my BOB. If it is all that I will get one for the GHB as well.

Top Bottom