• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    We all know about "gun free zones". Just crossing an invisible line can make you a felon real quick, like stepping onto school property with your usual things in your pockets.

What about "knife free zones"? do these exist? I remember stories in the news about students getting jammed up, Like the Eagle Scout with his little boy scout model slipjoint getting arrested. Am I in danger carrying my pocket knife into the grand kids school? or the children's museum? A daycare? The federal building?

Are there special laws in place covering pocketknives similar to our ridiculous firearm laws?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Technically no knives are allowed at schools in the state of indiana. That being said I go to a State college IU and I carry all sorts of knives there and no one bats an eye. Now carry one at an elementary, middle or high school depending on the area you might have some issues.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    IC 35-47-5-2.5 Version a
    Possession of a knife on school property
    Note: This version of section effective until 7-1-2014. See also following version of this section, effective 7-1-2014.
    Sec. 2.5. (a) As used in this section, "knife" means an instrument that:
    (1) consists of a sharp edged or sharp pointed blade capable of inflicting cutting, stabbing, or tearing wounds; and
    (2) is intended to be used as a weapon.
    (b) The term includes a dagger, dirk, poniard, stiletto, switchblade knife, or gravity knife.
    (c) A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally possesses a knife on:
    (1) school property (as defined in IC 35-31.5-2-285);
    (2) a school bus (as defined in IC 20-27-2-8); or
    (3) a special purpose bus (as defined in IC 20-27-2-10);
    commits a Class B misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the person has a previous unrelated conviction under this section and a Class D felony if the offense results in bodily injury or serious bodily injury to another person.
    (d) This section does not apply to a person who possesses a knife:
    (1) if:
    (A) the knife is provided to the person by the school corporation or possession of the knife is authorized by the school corporation; and
    (B) the person uses the knife for a purpose authorized by the school corporation; or
    (2) if the knife is secured in a motor vehicle.
    As added by P.L.72-2006, SEC.9. Amended by P.L.114-2012,

SEC.140.

IC 35-47-5-2.5 Version b
    Possession of a knife on school property
    Note: This version of section effective 7-1-2014. See also preceding version of this section, effective until 7-1-2014.
    Sec. 2.5. (a) As used in this section, "knife" means an instrument that:
    (1) consists of a sharp edged or sharp pointed blade capable of inflicting cutting, stabbing, or tearing wounds; and
    (2) is intended to be used as a weapon.
    (b) The term includes a dagger, dirk, poniard, stiletto, switchblade knife, or gravity knife.
    (c) A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally possesses a knife on:
    (1) school property (as defined in IC 35-31.5-2-285);
    (2) a school bus (as defined in IC 20-27-2-8); or
    (3) a special purpose bus (as defined in IC 20-27-2-10);
    commits a Class B misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the person has a previous unrelated conviction under this section and a Level 6 felony if the offense results in bodily injury to another person.
    (d) This section does not apply to a person who possesses a knife:
    (1) if:
    (A) the knife is provided to the person by the school corporation or possession of the knife is authorized by the school corporation; and
    (B) the person uses the knife for a purpose authorized by the school corporation; or
    (2) if the knife is secured in a motor vehicle.
    As added by P.L.72-2006, SEC.9. Amended by P.L.114-2012, SEC.140; P.L.158-2013, SEC.592.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I think (2) above is the key. As long as you're not running around stabbing, or threatening people, it would almost impossible to prove any illegal intent. I have at least one and sometimes three or knives on my person any time I'm visiting my kid's school. It's never been an issue.

pharmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shelbyville
    When I was in high school, my Swiss Army knife was a damned handy thing. I know at least a few times it was useful for extricating a long-haired classmate who got her ponytail caught in some labware. Come to think of it, it was the same classmate both times...and yes, she was blonde.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    way back when i was a freshman in highschool(1982) i was in shop class, another classmate asked to use my pocket knife,(it was a cheap little thing, had a two inch blade, kinda looked like a buck 110 that had been shrunk) to strip a wire, the teacher walked up to me and said is this your knife? scared i looked up and said yes it is, i was shocked when he handed it back and said dont use it, or bring it back to class again...till its sharp

now i had to yell at my daughter cause she took her knife to school (by accident, she forgot and left it in her purse), cause now a days she'll get arrested

now, i was a "band dad" i was at every band competition for the last 4 years, i always had my gerber multitool on my belt, and a pocket knife too, used them both more times than i can count, but when i saw one of the kids with a knife, i told him that since it was a school event, and that he was a student, he was under school rules, and that if he needed a knife to use, he could use mine anytime(that way he wouldnt get in trouble for having it)...and i told him to bring his knife to me to sharpen it, (it was butterknife dull)

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Can't imagine how we got all the way through 12 years of primary education without going a single day NOT carrying a blade of some sort w/o killing or maiming ourselves or someone else. How can this be? These days, if I'm wearing pants, I have 2 knives with me. And usually a multi-tool in my "murse".

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    The law says you can't, but you are the deciding factor here. All I'm gonna say is all 4 years of highschool, I didn't get in trouble. Still carry it everyday when I go to college.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    When I went to high school (1980-1983), I always had at least one knife on me, usually more than one (imagine that). There were rules against it according to anyone you asked (don't know if they were in writing back then), but the only people who got in trouble were thugs who took them out and used them inappropriately (like threatening other kids in the bathroom).

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I went to a large suburban school in the late 70's, bet 25%+ of the guys had pocket knives.
    Lots of Buck folders in sheaths too. Wore mine all 4 yrs.

At work some manager was helping us build test parts, pulling parts from ESD tubes. Nasty pins in the end, I whipped my Benchmade 530 out and flipped the offending plug out.

He was all freaked, asked why I had such a knife. Showed him how dull it was, explained it was sharp but due to cutting parts and equipment boxes, pallet straps etc.......it needed sharpened. Told him if he wanted really sharp just grab one of the scalpels in the lab.

Under 4" blade and folder, GM called it a "tool".

Fighting parts tubes the next day (since management moron put his on wrong and we needed to build more) he asked to borrow my knife, was all "cool" about it.

He was from Michigan.

New job, different company, HR guy all crappy towards pocket knives, he too from Michigan.............said to the new hire group that something was wrong with guys in Indiana, since we all carried pocket knives.

What a weirdo.

09hemi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I agree with many others, I believe (2) IS THE KEY. For the past 5 years I have working in high schools with athletes, I always carry a pocket knife and take it out and use it regularly. When ever I got that annoying kid who said " who cant have knives in school" my response was always...what Knife? this is a pencil sharpers...you remember wooden pencils right?

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Of course, this only applies to non-students.

We've had a number of students with knives who did not get in trouble, but yes, I was speaking in regards to adults.

I've had many times where students had them in their pockets and forgot, and turned them in to me (or accidentally dropped them). I investigated to make sure there wasn't any threats or problems going on with other students, and then called parents and had them pick the knives up at their convenience. Board policy is no knives. I'll do my job and enforce that. However, we don't have zero tolerance, so I can exercise rational thought in how it is enforced and if consequences are warranted, or not. It has been extremely rare in my 11 years as an administrator, to have a kid bring one with an intent for it to be a weapon. 99%+ of those times, it is a kid who felt threatened by someone and brought it for "protection." I'm trying to think of a case where someone brought one as an offensive weapon, and I'm at a loss right now to think of even one case. I'm pretty sure it has happened, but I sure don't remember it.

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    We've had a number of students with knives who did not get in trouble, but yes, I was speaking in regards to adults.

I've had many times where students had them in their pockets and forgot, and turned them in to me (or accidentally dropped them). I investigated to make sure there wasn't any threats or problems going on with other students, and then called parents and had them pick the knives up at their convenience. Board policy is no knives. I'll do my job and enforce that. However, we don't have zero tolerance, so I can exercise rational thought in how it is enforced and if consequences are warranted, or not. It has been extremely rare in my 11 years as an administrator, to have a kid bring one with an intent for it to be a weapon. 99%+ of those times, it is a kid who felt threatened by someone and brought it for "protection." I'm trying to think of a case where someone brought one as an offensive weapon, and I'm at a loss right now to think of even one case. I'm pretty sure it has happened, but I sure don't remember it.

That's probably the critical factor right there.

Lesser districts have no compunction about expulsion for the evil crime of butter knife possession.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    That's probably the critical factor right there.

Lesser districts have no compunction about expulsion for the evil crime of butter knife possession.

Yep. I've been in a district with zero tolerance and they expelled a good girl for having a Tylenol tablet in her purse in case she had a headache. They expelled another good girl for having a nail file. Ridiculous.

sipherblitz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 31, 2013
    Greenwood
    technically there are no weapons allowed on school property. However, if you're not waving it around or drawing attention to yourself, you should be fine.

Top Bottom