• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    Hi, I've been planning on buying a pocket pistol. I have a Colt New agent that I thought would work, but it is a little bigger than I would like. After researching I am leaning toward the Kahr PM9 or PM40. If anyone has shot both of these, please give me your opinions.

I thought about the Ruger LCP but I would rather trust something bigger than a .380. To be honest though, I never shot a .380.

Pleas give me your advise on a Pocket Pistol and if you have fired both the PM9 and the PM40 what you would prefer. I expect the .40 to have more recoil, but I am a pretty big guy and shooting my .45 New Agent is not unpleasant. Thanks. :)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I looked at a Kahr PM9 when I bought my Kel-Tec PF9. I ended up with the Kel-Tec because I just couldn't foot the bill for the Kahr at the time. I didn't regret the decision.

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    I was planning on getting the PM9, it sells for $629 new, then I saw a LNIB PM40 that I can get for $510. So I want to know, will regret being cheap?

Mathews 4ever

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    I have owned both the 9 and .40 and the kahr .40 is very uncomfortable to shot and good luck hitting anything. The 9mm would be my choice..:)

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    I stopped at PSS supplies today and Bob put back the PM9 Black Diamond for me. He is giving me a $350 trade in on a Vaquero, sounded good to me. I will pick it up Saturday. Thanks all.

slamer283

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    New Castle
    maybe think about a 22 my mom carries that in her purse and its very tiny. maybe not much damage if your attacked but enough to stop someone =]

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    Not sure if a Kahr is truly a pocket gun. When I think of pocket guns I think of keltec p3ats, lcps or micro desert eagles.

Has anyone had a good experience with a Kahr? I've never met a happy owner. Same feedback: horrible accuracy and spotty reliability. Just curious because they are so popular.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    For the price of a Khar, I would buy a Kel-Tec P3AT and a P11. The P3AT is a great gun to have for carry when no other option is available.

IUalum

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Check out the Kahr CW9, $369 out the door and my experience has been excellent, flawless and as accurate as any of my other "pocket" guns. I carry it IWB in a FIST kydex holster

I do agree that the Kahr is still a bit on the big side to be a true pocket gun. I have a Rohrbaugh R9S. Absolutely the best pocket pistol I have ever owned.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    There's plenty of good reviews of Kahr handguns. I've found them to be pretty accurate with no reliability issues. That being said, I've seen some folks at the range have trouble with them, but every one of them was either using shoddy ammo or happened to be new to shooting. A box of good range ammo and putting the Kahr in my own hand solved all the problems they found..

The little bitty 9mm is dang close to the same size as a LCP or KelTec.. Depending on how you're planning to carry, there aren't many positions that would work with an LCP that would fail with the Kahr..

Edit to add - The Ruger LCP is 5.1'' long, the Kahr MK9 is 5.3'' long. Not much difference there, IMO. It's a little taller, but that's to be expected since we're using larger rounds. It's a trade-off, sure, don't get me wrong there.. but if I had both, I think I'd carry the Kahr more..

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Not sure if a Kahr is truly a pocket gun.

IME they are not, though I know folks who pocket carry the PMs with little difficulty; I just don't dress to accommodate I suppose (I can't effectively pocket carry a J-Frame, either). The forthcoming P380 will be a pocket pistol by just about anybody's definition.

Has anyone had a good experience with a Kahr?

Yes. I've owned several over the years (K9, P9, MK9, K40, K40 Elite). The P9 had a few growing pains (mine is an early example) but is now "like buttah". All the others were fantastic shooters and very reliable right from the get go. I still have the K9 and P9; the others got sold off for various reasons unrelated to performance. I will have a P380 once they become more widely available.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Edit to add - The Ruger LCP is 5.1'' long, the Kahr MK9 is 5.3'' long. Not much difference there, IMO. It's a little taller, but that's to be expected since we're using larger rounds. It's a trade-off, sure, don't get me wrong there.. but if I had both, I think I'd carry the Kahr more..
    The biggest issue with a pocket gun is not the height or length, but the width. This is usually where guns come close but don't quite work. Only 0.1-0.2 inches can really make a difference in concealability and comfort for a pocket carry situation. The height can also be a problem, because the gun needs to "bend" around the leg. Too tall and you print hard on the top back of the slide and the bottom of the grip.

Last edited:

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I stopped at PSS supplies today and Bob put back the PM9 Black Diamond for me. He is giving me a $350 trade in on a Vaquero, sounded good to me. I will pick it up Saturday. Thanks all.

JMO, good choice. One thing I've found with my PM-9 is that it likes to be oiled. I haven't figured out yet where it puts it all. :D

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Have no problem carrying a PM 9 in a front pocket holster.

I also know of some people who carry a P11. I couldn't do that. The main thing is to find what works for you. I think my thighs have a little too much fat on them and my pants a little to tight to conceal as much in pocket carry. :)

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    I had time to pick the PM9 today and it works good as pocket pistol for me. I'm 6' and weigh in at 240, so I have big pockets. It is about 2/3 the size of my Colt New Agent, and much thinner. While I was there, I also picked up a used unfired EMF 1892 Hartford .357. It is a good day. And as always Bob at PSS was extremely fair.

Top Bottom