• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Are there IRS or ATF agents on staff? Otherwise why do I need to show my tax stamp? Only an IRS or ATF agent has the legal backing to require viewing a TAX Stamp. Do others need to show the receipt where they purchased the firearm they are going to shoot? If not why are NFA items being singled out?
    (BTW Full-Auto is an NFA item.)

The short answer is "Their place, their rules."

When you go to Hertz or National, why do they want to see your driver's license? After all they're not cops...

Maybe they just want to assure themselves that they are not renting a car to a un-licensed driver? Makes sense. I don't know, I guess I've never considered complaining to an establishment where I'm trying to borrow one of their cars. I suppose I could just go rent a car from a place that doesn't require that I have a license...

Last edited:

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    The short answer is "Their place, their rules."

When you go to Hertz or National, why do they want to see your driver's license? After all they're not cops...

Maybe they just want to assure themselves that they are not renting a car to a un-licensed driver? Makes sense. I don't know, I guess I've never considered complaining to an establishment where I'm trying to borrow one of their cars. I suppose I could just go rent a car from a place that doesn't require that I have a license...

There is a difference. I'm not taking their property off site nor am I required by law to have a LTCH to shoot there whereas to drive a vehicle a valid driver's license is required.
    I am in full compliance with all the laws. Who is to say that a person who brings in a non-NFA firearm lawfully possesses it? Using your logic every person who rents a lane from your employer (lest we forget who you are shilling for) should show proof of ownership of the firearms they bring in. If they are renting a firearm then they should show a valid LTCH to show they are a proper person according to the issuing state.
    I have never been to a range where I must show proof of ownership for any item I'm bringing in.
    As you said their place, their rules. I vote with my money and I'll never shoot at point blank as long as they trample on my 2nd amendment rights. Plus you didn't answer my direct question. You only gave a weak metaphor attempting to justify an improper action by a business.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    There is no 2nd Amendment right to shoot whatever you want on someone else's property. There just isn't. I'm trying to be nice but I don't know how else to explain it to you.

If you go over to a buddy's house and his wife asks you to take off your shoes, do you argue with her?

How's that for inane?

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    There is no 2nd Amendment right to shoot whatever you want on someone else's property. There just isn't. I'm trying to be nice but I don't know how else to explain it to you.

If you go over to a buddy's house and his wife asks you to take off your shoes, do you argue with her?

How's that for inane?

So you're comparing illegally asking for a US Tax Document to taking my shoes off at a friend's house? Yes, that is inane and ludicrous. There is no legal right for Point Blank to demand to see a tax document. Period. It's why I said I will not shoot there. If you want to try and defend the improper actions of your employer I suggest drinking the sugar free Kool-Aid so your blood sugar doesn't go out of whack. I'm amazed you haven't used the "But it's policy" defense. Most people who are brain washed tend to.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Is it normal to carry a tax stamp around? I don't carry my 1040, life insurance, mortgage, various bills....

If you are carrying an NFA Firearm you BETTER be carrying your Stamp.. same as carrying your LTCH. Sure, you might get away with not having it, but the ensuing hassle is not worth it

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I'm not arguing for or against the latest discussion here, but for the record, I shot an SBR today at the Greenwood location and no one asked me for a tax stamp.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    They probably just want to know that you're legal, plain and simple. Whether or not that's their legal authority doesn't really matter, and it's the subject of an entirely different discussion. It's private property, they can ask whatever they want of the shooters on the line. If you really want to know their reasoning, contact the headquarters.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Pay level often has nothing to do with how employees work. My wife works in a pet store and is paid $9. She is a hard worker and does a great job, even more so than employees who have been with the store longer and make more money. I work in a professional environment and make a lot less than other employees who don't work half as hard as I do. I believe it has a lot more to do with work ethic than how much money you make. If you don't like the low pay, don't work there. If the pay interests you, along with the experiences you'll get there, then it'll be worthwhile. No one is forcing anyone to go work for that level of pay. I also feel that safety issues or the level of what the employees know have more to do with how the company handles training and what management is like, rather than anything to do with what employees are paid. My :twocents:

I would hope that, part time or full time, experience and knowledge would dictate pay. Wal mart pays $9 an hour to folks that don't need either since it's not a specialized business. It's not so much a matter of pay but if you have one person that has years of experience and certifications VS someone that confuses the muzzle with the breach I would expect the person that has the better qualifications would command a higher salary. This a situation that, unlike Wal-mart or pet food sales, safety and knowledge about safety has to be the first priority. Just as was mentioned earlier, to give the lesser experienced person something to work towards. AND since you are dealing with potentially dangerous situations it just makes sense (at least to me) that you would want experienced people and reward them accordingly. Just my:twocents:

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Glock Armorer-M&P Armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I would hope that, part time or full time, experience and knowledge would dictate pay. Wal mart pays $9 an hour to folks that don't need either since it's not a specialized business. It's not so much a matter of pay but if you have one person that has years of experience and certifications VS someone that confuses the muzzle with the breach I would expect the person that has the better qualifications would command a higher salary. This a situation that, unlike Wal-mart or pet food sales, safety and knowledge about safety has to be the first priority. Just as was mentioned earlier, to give the lesser experienced person something to work towards. AND since you are dealing with potentially dangerous situations it just makes sense (at least to me) that you would want experienced people and reward them accordingly. Just my:twocents:

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Glock Armorer-M&P Armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

I don't disagree with that assertion. Of course it makes sense to have more experience people there, to help with the less experienced. I'm not in the know as to what PB is doing, or has done. Usually when I've been to the Carmel location, there are at least a couple older employees who look like they know what they're doing. My assumption is that those employees are either being paid a bit above that $9 mark, or PB is a second job and they were okay working for the $9 wage. I don't know and I'm guessing no one from PB management is going to enlighten us. My point was, while safety incidents can happen and in this case did happen, I don't think pay had a lot to do with it. Reading through this forum, plenty of experienced people have had brain farts and done something unsafe not thinking about it. Sometimes it's resulted in just a story and sometimes an AD or injury. Stuff happens. Yeah, I think if PB employed only older, more experienced people there would be less risk, but I also understand that as a business, they can't afford that. They employ more staff members than most ranges I've been to. When I go in I normally see at least one range officer and 3 - 4 other employees. When they're busy it's even more. While I know a safety incident occurred, I've never seen anything that made me feel unsafe while I was there. Guess I'm lucky. If something does come up while I'm there, I'll have to rethink things, but for now I'll continue to use the range.

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    So you're comparing illegally asking for a US Tax Document to taking my shoes off at a friend's house?

Really, it is illegal for them to ask to see your stamp?

There is no legal right for Point Blank to demand to see a tax document. Period.

And you have no legal right to come onto their property and use their facilities without their permission. Period. If their permission is only granted upon showing them your tax stamp, it is up to you if you want to abide or leave.

Don't get me wrong here, on the face of it, I disagree with the policy (if it actually is one). But disagreeing with someone's policy and claiming that it is illegal for them to have the policy because I/you/we don't like it are two different things.

I have never been to the store, and know nothing about it other than what I've read in this thread, but let me ask you a question: If the policy just required you to show that you had a stamp (i.e. just flash them the actual stamp on the upper right corner of your form(s)), would that be so offensive? You should have your stamp(s) with you anyway and this way you are giving them no 'tax' information. Just curious. Personally, I don't think I would have a problem with that if it gave them piece of mind. I can't see how that would possibly negatively impact me in any way.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    ...........disagreeing with someone's policy and claiming that it is illegal for them to have the policy because I/you/we don't like it are two different things.............................

We visited the store last night. We didn't shoot but were greeted cordially and the the staff was most helpful. The gun prices we saw were in line with if not slightly less than other local stores we've been to. They have some range "specials" we'll be taking advantage of. Nice to meet you hammertime.

As for the above quote, it's what some folks here do. They don't like some policy or law so they claim their "rights" are being violated and they don't have to comply. I think of them as perpetually looking for a reason to be offended!

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Their business, their rules.. Just like the Pubs and such that post the "no firearms" signs.. A business can't make rules that override state law but they can ask you to leave and have you arrested for trespassing if you refuse to obey their rules. If their policy is offensive enough for you not to patronize them, then you have that right also. Personally I wouldn't want to dig out my stamp and have my address available as a person that has NFA items for reasons of my own security. I'm sure I could have some cobbled up fake paperwork and since most haven't seen the real thing I doubt if they would know the difference.
    I don't understand firearms related businesses going out of their way to harass gun owners but it is their right. My guess would be that someone in "corporate" that isn't really a gun person is making decisions about things where their knowledge is obviously limited.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Glock Armorer-M&P Armorer [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] /[/FONT][FONT=&quot] RSO[/FONT]

Last edited:
    Top Bottom