• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The back of my credit cards say "check ID". I expect them to read it and ask but I don't hand them my license. I've never had PB write down my info. Odd. I'll watch them the next time I'm in there.

And I've never heard of Pinnacle!?!? It's less than a mile from my office. I'll need to schedule a site visit. :cool:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    The back of my credit cards say "check ID". I expect them to read it and ask but I don't hand them my license. I've never had PB write down my info. Odd. I'll watch them the next time I'm in there.

And I've never heard of Pinnacle!?!? It's less than a mile from my office. I'll need to schedule a site visit. :cool:

I went yesterday, small operation, great guy running the counter. They mostly had used wood furniture hunting guns and revolvers but also a respectable assortment of modern handguns and rifles, two dozen or so cool old guns and milsurps. Accessory selection was limited but expected. Guy running it said he can order anything you want. Ammo looked to be several years old... ask about the "it ain't loaded" jar.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

My cards say the exact same thing. I get asked maybe 2 in 10 uses if a cashier handles the card.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So, does that mean if you shoot at Atterbury and they ask for your ID, you refuse and leave? Just asking.

Unless something has changed (been quite some time since I have been there), Atterbury only "holds" your license and don't record any info (not saying there is not an opportunity, but AFAIK they don't record anything).

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I called their head office and they said it was normal, so I have scratched them off my list.

I refuse to buy alcohol at Meijer. They scan your ID to input it into the system to PRESUMABLY prove the DOB. But I cant prove they arent storing the REST of whats in that 3D barcode, so they dont get it. I used to just put a black target paster across the barcode and force them to input the DOB, but that is a PITA because it makes them manually key it in twice, and if they flub a number, it makes them start over and do it 2x more. The last transaction the cashier got passive aggressive and mentioned how I was screwing her scan rate by doing it. Havent bought alcohol there since.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I give stores Jenny's phone number. Used to you had to say it really slowly. With today's youngsters you can sing it and they don't even recognize it. 867-5309

As POA for my dad we had to go to the bank so I would be listed as having access to his safe deposit box. They started to ask me a whole bunch of marketing database questions, where are your bank accounts, how much money do you make... When I told the woman I was not answering the questions she was confused because the computer "needed" it so I could access a safe deposit box. She didn't know what to do and called the branch manager who told me "just make something up." I told her she could just make something up. When she started to push back I turned to my dad and told him we could leave now and buy a safe for the house instead. Suddenly the branch manager found a way to bypass the questions.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    They do this for a couple of reasons. First it adds your info to there customer list. Then they sell the list to advertisers. This is why you get adds in the mail and un wanted phone calls. The only place that gets to see my DL is the LGS on a transfer. I don't buy guns from big box stores if I need to show ID to purchase 22s (Wal Mart) I go to a different store . All those discount cards the stores offer same thing you are giving them permission to sell your info.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I don’t go to PB for many reasons spanning from ****ty customer service to stupid policies past and present.

That said, what are you tinfoil hatters afraid they are going to do with your DL number? Many ranges actually hold your license until you cash out.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I don’t go to PB for many reasons spanning from ****ty customer service to stupid policies past and present.

That said, what are you tinfoil hatters afraid they are going to do with your DL number? Many ranges actually hold your license until you cash out.

Im not concerned about the number. The fact that a company would possibly record in a cash transaction my name, address, DOB, height, weight, etc in a database is troubling to me. (everything on the front of that license is embedded in that barcode) What does that have to do with anything? Not that I have anything to hide, but that overreach is unnecessary.

It ties back into the banking comment upthread. What legitimate reason does a company have to record your info in great detail when it has absolutely zero to do with the transaction at hand. No you dont need to know my income or how many people are in my household. I'll give you money, you'll hand over a product and we part ways with a smile. You are entitled to nothing more.

Now I have no problems displaying my ID to prove eligibility to purchase or giving a range owner my license to clip to the wall while I'm using his facilities. But I refuse to allow them to scan the info into their computer, or in the case of one shop, allow them to record my info just to enter and browse their store. No thanks. In the latter case, I'm sorry you are being repeatedly cased and broken into. Not my problem.

Deimos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    Mooresville
    Me and some friends went to the one in Greenwood about 2 years ago. Stood in line, just chatting about some of the guns they had brought. I get up the counter and they asked to see my drivers license, passport and a form of proof for my current address.
    I told him I didn't carry my passport or proof of address around. He refused to let me shoot because I wasn't a citizen (I'm a legal permanent resident) and told me I could wait in the store whilst my friends shot. We went to Atterbury instead. Point Blank employees seem to be power mad for some reason.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    POINT BLANK,Carmel IN

My 20yr old son called to verify age for being approved to use the range and was told 18. Upon getting there and being vetted the was told age was 21. Whats up with that??? Carmel is closer to my home in Indy that the range on Keystone or the range in Avon or even Tim' in Westfield(where he ended up shooting, thanks Tim's). In the spirit of full disclosure I must admit that my son is much like I was 35 years ago, A young black man.
    Point blanks business choice, I agree. Mine is to never spend a dime or set foot in any of their stores. Rant complete.

Top Bottom