• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LEGENw84itDARY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have been reading some of GunLawyers Scenarios and am a big fan of learning the importance of all these issues as I'll be getting my LTCH shortly. I have a scenario not as in depth as GunLawyers but i'm curious as to what to do if i were in the situation.

I'm not sure if it matters how the scenario starts out but if you were being robbed not by gun but by knife and you gave the bad and you were able to draw your firearm while stepping back and the BG surrendered and is just standing 5-10 feet away. You have control of the situation and have someone call the cops. My question is what do you to now till the cops arrive and what to do when the cops arrive?

Do you risk having someone tie his wrists? What can you do if he turns and runs? What do you do when the cops arrive and your pointing a gun at someone?

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    Don't tie his wrists, you are not a cop. If he runs, stay where you are, holster your weapon and wait for police. Whoever calls police describe you and what you are wearing, letting them know you are the good guy.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I am not a fan of the "hold it right there until the cops come" but I am a big fan of defending ones self, loved ones, property and the weak. IMHO if your truly out to have the guy go through the system only to be spit out back on the streets then I'd say do what has already been mentioned. BUT, me personally having been held up while unarmed can tell you that you will probably be so amp'ed up you will find yourself clicking off the safety and putting two in his chest before you realize it..

Just saying. IMHO the reason this country is so screwed up and we have so many on death row is because the country as a whole have became pussified and won't pull the trigger, let's just put them in cages and feed them and clothe them and take care of their medical needs and give them cable TV and let them educate themselves all for free!

Sorry folks, I would drop him with a double tap and then make sure he will never do it again. Call me barbaric but no reason to waste my tax money letting him go inside and become a smarter criminal who might get out and shoot an innocent civilian while robbing a place at gun point.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    Each and every situation is going to be vastly different.....and as the situation unfolds conditions will change.

That being said, my mind set is, IF the SHTF bad enough that my gun is clearing leather, theres a pretty damn good reason, and its likely gonna get loud and smokey real quick.

LEGENw84itDARY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I am not a fan of the "hold it right there until the cops come" but I am a big fan of defending ones self, loved ones, property and the weak. IMHO if your truly out to have the guy go through the system only to be spit out back on the streets then I'd say do what has already been mentioned. BUT, me personally having been held up while unarmed can tell you that you will probably be so amp'ed up you will find yourself clicking off the safety and putting two in his chest before you realize it..

Just saying. IMHO the reason this country is so screwed up and we have so many on death row is because the country as a whole have became pussified and won't pull the trigger, let's just put them in cages and feed them and clothe them and take care of their medical needs and give them cable TV and let them educate themselves all for free!

Sorry folks, I would drop him with a double tap and then make sure he will never do it again. Call me barbaric but no reason to waste my tax money letting him go inside and become a smarter criminal who might get out and shoot an innocent civilian while robbing a place at gun point.

I completely agree with you, I'm talking more a situation where maybe theirs bystanders and you happen to be in that situation where he gave up so quick it would look really bad if you were to do that.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    LEGENw84itDARY I understand what you mean. The variables and factors can keep a guy guessing, what is right and or wrong, should I draw my weapon, should I try to talk my way out of it, should I comply with the BG's demands, etc.

I am merely stating what one mans opinion would be in a specific "what if" and mine is is when the SHTF you don't have time to think and make desicions. Instinct, training and luck all play a part in the out come of any confrontation.

I would say that in this instance that you describe and with a clear field of fire and back drop that if by the time I have aim on the guy if he hasn't dropped the knife I am putting two center mass and will worry about calling for the report writers once all threats have been stopped.

There are situations where if you circle a BG he will make his choice as to attack or retreat and you can position him so that you have a safe back drop in case a round over penetrates. Just stay between you and others whom you may be protecting, reduces hostage chances or other harm..

Last edited:

LEGENw84itDARY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Ok, i have a big question....you have the bad guy on the ground, the police arrive, I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW your not supposed to talk to the cops but in this situation it seems kinda of stupid to not say anything, especially if the BG says to the cops (who dont know the situation) that you just randomly pulled a gun at him....anyone have an answer?

djjdnap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2010
    the polis of indiana
    Well i would hope that when whomever called it in they didn't just say hey we need cops at 123 abc st.
    I mean Im sure there would be a my neighbors are being robbed, or im being robbed, assaulted, ect when the phone call is made to the police, so they are somewhat briefed on the situation.

dholmtime

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

:rockwoot: AGREED

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    Ok, i have a big question....you have the bad guy on the ground, the police arrive, I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW your not supposed to talk to the cops but in this situation it seems kinda of stupid to not say anything, especially if the BG says to the cops (who dont know the situation) that you just randomly pulled a gun at him....anyone have an answer?

If you aren't going to just shoot him. Take some snap shots with your phone and tell him to take off... if my gun gets drawn there will be bullets fired. I find it hard to believe in the split second it should take you to draw and fire the guy would drop his knife and throw his hands up without just running off. However if he didn't run, I'm taking a picture or two and telling him to leave. The last thing I want is the cops rolling up on me while I've got an unarmed man at gun point, with or without witnesses.

LEGENw84itDARY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    If you aren't going to just shoot him. Take some snap shots with your phone and tell him to take off... if my gun gets drawn there will be bullets fired. I find it hard to believe in the split second it should take you to draw and fire the guy would drop his knife and throw his hands up without just running off. However if he didn't run, I'm taking a picture or two and telling him to leave. The last thing I want is the cops rolling up on me while I've got an unarmed man at gun point, with or without witnesses.

thats a good point to take a picture of him, that helps if he decides to just run off or something than you can still give that ot the police

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    If you are aiming a gun at him, you likely have a reason to believe he is a threat to your life. If he is a threat to your life, defend yourself.

When he is no longer a threat to your life, let the police handle it.

That being said, I think the hypothetical situation where he is a threat when you are drawing, but immediately is not a threat by the time the gun is aimed, is not that likely of a scenario.

In real life confrontations happen so quickly... hypothetical situations can only help so much, because you do not have the time to think... scanning for your backdrop and going through the motions you have practiced is the best thing you can hope for.

Popacap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Westfield, IN
    In the original scenario described, you mentioned BG pulled knife at 10 ft. with intent to rob. You have to assume they are serious, since this is not normal behavior. The avg. man can run 21 ft. in 1.5 seconds. A robber with knife, would be on you in less than .75 second to cut/kill. Most men can't draw from concealment in 1.5 seconds.

In your scenario, if you can't run away...then the person better be backing up, screaming drop the knife and firing until the threat stops.

If a person threatens you at close range with a screw driver and your mind set is to not to be a victim...lead needs to be a flying!

Escape or neutralize the threat or threats...reholster, call cops and tell your story, sit down safe distance away and wait. If your mind is gathered, try to get any witnesses to stay around and give police their story.

Just my two cents...

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    If the BG knows anything about the law, AFTER he has surrendered he should turn his back and start walking away. Of course, if I were the BG I'd be pointing out that I'm no longer a threat and that if you shoot you're going to go away for a long time...

Mr.Strato

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    I don't know, all this talk about "backing up". Not for me.
    Hey, THIS may be the case the OC crowd is looking for!
    If you're OC'ing are you less/more likely to have a knife pulled on you?
    We need a poll!

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    If you are aiming a gun at him, you likely have a reason to believe he is a threat to your life. If he is a threat to your life, defend yourself.

When he is no longer a threat to your life, let the police handle it.

That being said, I think the hypothetical situation where he is a threat when you are drawing, but immediately is not a threat by the time the gun is aimed, is not that likely of a scenario.

In real life confrontations happen so quickly... hypothetical situations can only help so much, because you do not have the time to think... scanning for your backdrop and going through the motions you have practiced is the best thing you can hope for.

Great post.

This is kind of related to the other thread in which we were debating the "hair-trigger" mods.

This is exactly what I was getting at. There is ALMOST no situation where the average gun-owner will find himself holding a BG at gun-point & waiting for the police to arrive. I'm not saying it won't/can't happen, it's just very unlikely. Most of the time you are going to be firing or the BG is going to be running away. It is the rare exception where a BG actually follows a non-LEO's commands to stop & get on the ground.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Each and every situation is going to be vastly different.....and as the situation unfolds conditions will change.

That being said, my mind set is, IF the SHTF bad enough that my gun is clearing leather, theres a pretty damn good reason, and its likely gonna get loud and smokey real quick.

+1
    The operative words are, if and bad enough,
    If the BG gets the drop on me and is close enough with a knife for me to give up my empty wallet:), he is close enough to hurt me.( this is ****ty situational awareness on my part) I will give him my wallet and toss it too the ground behind him. while drawing my weapon. If he doesn't leave with my wallet immediately and continues to threaten me and mine. I now have no choice and no other option . It will get loud and smokey at this point and probably more than two rounds.
    We should also be aware that this joker won't be alone, and what his buddies do right after they see their friend shot should also be right at the front of you mind.

Top Bottom