• ...and so much more!
  • GeneralCarver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Do you risk having someone tie his wrists

Sure. If you have the materials to do so and there is more than just YOU at the scene. Do it. If the person was committing a force able felony, it would be like a citizens arrest. But don't ever do it alone. You keep your gun on the person and have a 2nd person come over and do the tying. Make sure you inform them to move out of the way so you can shoot if the person attempts to attack again.

What can you do if he turns and runs?

You are only entitled to use reasonable force. So you could go after him and attempt to capture him physically, but you could not shoot him. Now, if you chased him and he turns on you and tries to attack you again, now again your in a situation of being legally justified to use lethal force in defense.

If the person jets and runs, I wouldn't bother going after them. You will most likely be alone. That's a job for the police. I would secure the scene and make sure your ready in case that person returns or returns with friends.

What do you do when the cops arrive and your pointing a gun at someone?

Well, ideally you want to not have your gun in your hand when the police show up so you don't get engaged by accident. However, in the situation you described, if you had a cell phone, I would tell the 911 operator to get in touch with responding police and tell them about you. Tell them what you look like and that you have the guy at gun point. If your able to do that, I think you are not going to get engaged or "challenged" by the police.

If you can't contact responding authorities, considering retreating. You are not responsible for detaining criminals. Move to an area you'll be safe and contact the authorities there. Remember that handgun is for self protection and protection of others, you didn't take the oath that law enforcement officers take. Don't put that pressure on yourself.

There's my two cents. Hope that helps.

Top Bottom