• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Scutter,

Another thing I found helpful was a poison ivy session put on by one of the state parks years ago (McCormick's Creek, iirc).

It started with a lecture, then we walked around the park's hiking trails with the guide pointing out examples of poison ivy; all sizes, vines, etc. Something like that really helps.
    Oh man that sounds great! I'm going to check that out next time I'm down there.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    https://www.google.com/search?redir...F%2Fwww.altnature.com%2Fjewelweed.htm;600;450
    Another common poisonous plant to be familiar with and watch for in Indiana is stinging nettles, very common in the woods this time of year. I wandered into a patch of these while scrounging for fire wood on a camping trip while wearing shorts - not pleasant.

Nettle_zps5b60610e.jpg
    Jewel weed oft e n grows in the same location and crushed and rubbed on the nettle stings provides relief. Jewel weed will have orange flowers that kinda look like little upside down snapdragons and later, seed pods that pop at the touch. Link always pastes at the top with this dam tablet.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Poison ivy is vastly different. Generally around our property, it is on a vine and (now) easily identifiable. When in doubt, I leave it be. If it's yard work, then long sleeves and immediate shower after the work is done to be safe. These days I have more problems with chiggers. Those things are the devil's spawn I tell you. :(

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    LB, Rooto No. 4 Household Drain Opener, 100% Lye, For Use In Any Small
    Should kill just about any living thing(Lye drain opener).

I checked it again today (it rained 2 days ago) and it is dying. I will have to check patches that were sprayed with just vinegar/soap/salt. When the leaves go, spotting the ground vines will be easier. I used to get PI, but find I no longer do. I pull the stuff out with bare hands. Wash later (with soap-a no no I read) and I don't get it. My good, I guess.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    WAit till after a rain (two days after ) or the fall of eye year and do my test. Urushiol is not something you would normally be Immune from. That is a nasty oil. You can buy a skin shield spray that helps but 90 + percent of humans will have a bad reaction from Urushiol with the added compounds that number is higher so just because one plant does itch you out does not mean none will. On most tests 90 percent or better is good.

of course we have a vast array of people here on INgO so we have to have some who would make the test invalid.

Retake on the above test.
    So take your better half's arm and rub the plant on it. If she get little blisters then It is poison ivy.

I have pulled it er it out by hand with gloves In The drought a few years ago. No oil. no harm.
    Mebbe not, but I spent 6 years in the field for two (academic) degrees and countless hours running amok in my dad's fields, cleaning up my mom's property, hunting, fishing, hiking, etc. and I have never gotten it. Immunity may not be the correct medical term, but a lack of sensitivity definitely fits.

I have no problem identifying it. In fact, when we're out and about, I'm always the one pointing it out to family so they don't get in it.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Yea i have seen my dad literally roll around shirtless in it and not get it. Im not sure what you would call it but it doesn't affect him at all. He usually goes out and rips it out bare handed so us less fortunate folks in the house dont get it.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    One of the reasons that Poison Ivy is found in so many places is that birds love the berry-like fruits. It's actually a very valuable wildlife plant.

And it's found along fence rows for the same reason that mulberry, blackberry, and wild grapes are; birds sitting on the fence poop out the seeds.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    One of the reasons that Poison Ivy is found in so many places is that birds love the berry-like fruits. It's actually a very valuable wildlife plant.

And it's found along fence rows for the same reason that mulberry, blackberry, and wild grapes are; birds sitting on the fence poop out the seeds.

And I thought it was Johnny Appleseed's evil twin Johnny Toxic Berries. I knew there was something weird about that.

bucmaster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I was burning some brush it had poison ivy or sumac . I was down wind, my eyes swelled shut had to go to emergency room for Predizone.Be careful with campfires or fire pits.

Top Bottom