• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speedybruin4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Anyone playing this? I have been messing around with it for a few days, I haven't caught much, but I seem to be getting an extra 2,000-3,000 extra steps a day. Even my wife, who doesn't play to many video games, wants to go on walks and try to catch them.

What are your guys thoughts?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Fun way to pass the time, looking forward to the updates they plan to add to it.

Held a gym up at Trader's Point very briefly this afternoon.

Speedybruin4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    I was reading a few articles on Linkedin and it looks like some of the updates include allowing businesses to buy or place pokestops. Could be a good revenue generator especially during the first few months when this game is still hot. I haven't leveled up enough to make it to a gym yet.

Speedybruin4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    I've noticed that mine occasionally crashes. I've read that the servers are being constantly overloaded so much, they have pushed back the launch in some of the other countries. FWIW I run it on an Iphone 6S+

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I've noticed that mine occasionally crashes. I've read that the servers are being constantly overloaded so much, they have pushed back the launch in some of the other countries. FWIW I run it on an Iphone 6S+
    Totally overloaded.

BogWalker doesn't play it (see the thread about flip phones), but I know plenty of people that do.

As one internet commentator stated: "Nintendo did in a weekend what Michelle Obama couldn't do in eight years: get kids to play outside."

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    do they put some random generated GPS coordinate critter out there and you have to get close enough to "get" it and add to your collection? If so, great marketing tool to send people to a business

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just an FYI. Surprised GP didnt mention it. YOU are the product... Some privacy concerns. No thanks!

https://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbern...n&ref=bffbmain&utm_term=.ttMxxo8g3#.ceLPPzrNo

For example...
    According to the Pokémon Go privacy policy, Niantic may collect — among other things — your email address, IP address, the web page you were using before logging into Pokémon Go, your username, and your location. And if you use your Google account for sign-in and use an iOS device, unless you specifically revoke it, Niantic has access to your entire Google account. That means Niantic has read and write access to your email, Google Drive docs, and more. (It also means that if the Niantic servers are hacked, whoever hacked the servers would potentially have access to your entire Google account. And you can bet the game’s extreme popularity has made it a target for hackers. Given the number of children playing the game, that’s a scary thought.) You can check what kind of access Niantic has to your Google account here.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I don't get it. Of course Pokemon stuff came along long after I was a kid. Plus, fads generally are something I avoid anyway.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I just talked to my first friend today who is playing it... I heard a few friends talking about it over the weekend and had no idea what the heck it was today. Pokemon was a big deal when I was in middle school though so we seem to fit the age group well. I don't think I'll join in though.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It's one thing for kids to play around with this, but grownass adults?
    Hell, I just saw a news story that was basically an advisory about the dangers of getting distracted while playing it.
    Call me Mr. Curmudgeon here, but whatever happened to normal social interaction?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just an FYI. Surprised GP didnt mention it. YOU are the product... Some privacy concerns. No thanks!

https://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbern...n&ref=bffbmain&utm_term=.ttMxxo8g3#.ceLPPzrNo

For example...
    According to the Pokémon Go privacy policy, Niantic may collect — among other things — your email address, IP address, the web page you were using before logging into Pokémon Go, your username, and your location. And if you use your Google account for sign-in and use an iOS device, unless you specifically revoke it, Niantic has access to your entire Google account. That means Niantic has read and write access to your email, Google Drive docs, and more. (It also means that if the Niantic servers are hacked, whoever hacked the servers would potentially have access to your entire Google account. And you can bet the game’s extreme popularity has made it a target for hackers. Given the number of children playing the game, that’s a scary thought.) You can check what kind of access Niantic has to your Google account here.

Saw that. Of course something like this (that raised Nintendo's stock by 24%) is going to get this sort of attention. The permissions the app has is no different from thousands of other common apps.

You don't see people writing articles about unpopular apps.

But yeah... I'd love to see more granular control over what sorts of things apps can access.

Top Bottom