• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Geoman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    So. IN
    I'm thinking about getting a pole saw for trimming some limbs. I'm getting too old to climb much.
    Does anybody have a model they really like? Gas or battery powered? Thanks.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If you aren't dealing with any really big limbs (4 inches or so) don't rule out a manual pole saw. Cheap and not really that effort intensive.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Depends on how much you will use and size of limbs your trimming. Manual is great if you can do the labor.. no offense. Battery powered is getting better all the time. Some are a string trimmer with a cutting head basically and if you can justify a stihl or husqvarna go that route. I bought a stihl ht131 a few years ago and love it but it’s heavy and does a great job. Again my .2 cents worth.
    You have plenty of choices

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    you want a chainsaw type pole saw for anything larger than your thumb. Ive tried multiple manual saw types and they are a ROYAL PITA! If I cant use the lopper, I dread using the saw when the limb wont fit inside the notch.

Especially if you have battery operated hand tools like Ryobi, they probably make one that fits your batteries.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I'd go cordless electric these days, but about 10 years ago I bought a Remington electric and it does a great job. Just gotta drag a cord around.

If I had to replace it tomorrow, I'd probably look at Ryobi like CM said. For what I pay for the stuff, it's all been great (just bought the non-pole 18V chainsaw, actually).

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    and dont discount battery chainsaws for light work. Ive cut down (and chopped up) several 15' trees as big around as my thigh at my mom's house. She's got a Greenworx 40v and its a beast. (for what it is) She uses it for pruning, and invariably she'll ask me to take down a small tree that is dead or cut up a downed limb while Im there doing other things and didnt pack the Stihl.

At first I scoffed at them. Now I want one! I considered finding a small Gas saw with a 12" bar for in the air trimwork, but instead will go battery.

The only oddity is the chain moves so slowly compared to a gas saw it feels very rough. Once you get over that odd feeling its cool. it actually cuts cleaner chips than my Stihl.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I use the Stihl regularly. They are not cheap.$600+ .f you are only needing something for your yard,Poulan Pro makes a small 8inch pole pruner attachment (PP5500P) ($100)thats an interchangeable unit with extensions. ,reaches 10-12 ft. that is interchangeable with Ryobi, Hart,Blackmax,Toro,Weedeater,Troybuilt,Murray,They sell the unit with drive motor for about $180.00

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    My wife regularly uses her 20 volt Portor Cable sawzall to trim small limbs up to about 3 inched in diameter. She had me get her own after using mine. Only drawback is reach, can't compete with a pole saw. I recommend Stihl if getting a gas powered one, but once, cry once.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    I bought a Greenworx 40V battery powered pole saw at Menards a few years ago and it has worked great. I've used it several times for everything from small branches to pretty big limbs. I would recommend one.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I like the Husqvarna 115iPT4 Battery Pole Saw. Makes trimming back the trees along our road quick work. Good battery life too.

And they are not made by the ChiComs.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I use the Stihl regularly. They are not cheap.$600+ .f you are only needing something for your yard,Poulan Pro makes a small 8inch pole pruner attachment (PP5500P) ($100)thats an interchangeable unit with extensions. ,reaches 10-12 ft. that is interchangeable with Ryobi, Hart,Blackmax,Toro,Weedeater,Troybuilt,Murray,They sell the unit with drive motor for about $180.00

As an owner of these I cannot recommend the 8" Trimmer plus style mentioned here. It is made for a few different companies and it is not a good piece, crummy plastic crummy chains available (even the oregon). I have a Stihl tiller attachment setup and wanted to do a combination of tiller, pole saw, and weed eater on a 4 stroke power head and wish I would have passed.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I like the Husqvarna 115iPT4 Battery Pole Saw. Makes trimming back the trees along our road quick work. Good battery life too.

And they are not made by the ChiComs.

I had to double check this as that would have put one on my "to buy" list... They're "Assembled" in the US.

My employer pulls this trick too to beat some tariffs. Open the box, put 5 screws in, and close the box again. Now magically not made in China...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I bought a Milwaukee Fuel 18v cordless several months ago. My only complaint is that it leaks bar oil unless you’re careful about how you store it.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I have had this one for a couple of years. I'm an old guy and I find all of them are pretty awkward to use and heavier than I thought. It does the job and it's more powerful than I thought it would be, but I just can't reach up as high as I'd like. This last summer I climbed up on my roof to cut down a limb that was banging into my chimney. I got most of it, but the rest was just out of reach.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    If you have electric available something like this may be handy.
    Screenshot-20201215-140302.png

If you're looking at gas I would look into stihl

Top Bottom