• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    A friend just called me and told me this! He's a few houses down and says that shot have been fired. I don't see that at the source so I'm not sure.

Police called to DeKalb Co. standoff

"Police called to DeKalb Co. standoff
    Updated: Friday, 26 Mar 2010, 2:52 PM EDT
    Published : Friday, 26 Mar 2010, 12:36 PM EDT
    DEKALB COUNTY, Ind. (WANE) - Police are responding to a standoff on U.S. 6 in DeKalb County.
    According to State Police, officers were called to 4155 U.S. 6, near Waterloo around 12:00 p.m. Friday afternoon. About 20 squad cars from different departments, including Dekalb County Sheriff and Indiana State Police are still on the scene.

The DeKalb County Sheriff, John Dennis said there are two adults and no children inside the home. Family members were overheard on a cell phone pleading to a man in the house to come out saying, "it isn't worth it."

State Police said everyone in the house is still alive at this point, but Lutheran Air did land near the scene around 2:00 p.m.

As a result of the standoff and heavy police presence, U.S. 6 is closed at County Road 41, east of Waterloo"

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Yeah, I was in east Auburn when the nephew sent me a news alert forwarded text.
    That explains the helicopters bustin' butt over there.
    They closed hwy 6 in parts and I guess SWAT had the guy contained...but sheesh.
    Sure makes the spidey senses tingle.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Had a co-worker spot additional SWAT vehicles at US 6 and SR 15 headed that way a little after noon.

IIRC, doesn't Auburn PD have a tank on their list of fleet vehicles?
    They aren't that far away.

Dunno...but one of the Ft.Wayne radio stations (WMEE, I think) said 20 different town/city police converged.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    The man was shot and killed. The wife was flown to a Ft Wayne hospital with "numerous severe shotgun wounds to her legs"
    I was on a train about 6 miles away. They stopped us because he was shooting at anything that passed by.
    Interestingly after they let us loose and we passed an eastbound coal train it derailed in the middle of the same little town. Huge mess

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    The man was shot and killed. The wife was flown to a Ft Wayne hospital with "numerous severe shotgun wounds to her legs"
    I was on a train about 6 miles away. They stopped us because he was shooting at anything that passed by.
    Interestingly after they let us loose and we passed an eastbound coal train it derailed in the middle of the same little town. Huge mess

I forgot to update. Yes...That!
    Thanks D-ric.

DEKALB COUNTY, Ind. (WANE) - The following information regarding the DeKalb County hostage incident was provided by the Indiana State Police:
    Dekalb County Sheriff’s Department and Waterloo Police Department responded to a domestic call on 4155 U.S. 6 in Dekalb County Friday morning at 11:38 a.m.
    Upon arrival at the residence, officers were fired upon several times by a suspect inside the home; no officers were struck by gunfire, or returned gunfire. Additional officers responded to the scene and established a perimeter, closing U.S. 6 east and westbound.
    Officers made telephone contact with the shooter, Wayne A. King, age 38 and he indicated he had shot his wife Dawn R. King, age 40. He did indicate she was injured, and alive.
    Emergency response teams arrived from the Northeast Indiana Special Operations Group, and Indiana State Police Emergency Response Services North Team. Hostage negotiators established contact with the Kings, and it was learned that Mrs. King was severely injured.
    Negotiators made multiple attempts to talk Mr. King into releasing his injured wife so she could receive medical treatment. They met several of his demands throughout the day, and continued negotiations for his surrender, but he refused.
    It was determined by officers that Mrs. King needed medical treatment immediately, and her life was in danger. Negotiations were breaking down with the suspect, and it was determined to end the situation, and rescue the hostage.
    At 5:00 p.m., a member of the Indiana State Police Emergency Response Services Team shot the suspect who was still in the home. The officers made entry into the residence and rescued Mrs. King. She was air lifted to Lutheran Hospital Ft. Wayne, Indiana with severe shotgun wounds to both legs.
    Mr. King was pronounced dead at the scene by Dekalb County Coroner Jeff Warner.
    Detectives from the Indiana State Police Criminal Investigation Division are conducting the investigation

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Oh snap...Check out the comment.....
    "
    And now that it is legal to have a weapon in your car at your place of employment, my guess is that you will be seeing this sort of thing even more often. Heat of the moment with a deadly weapon readily at hand.
    "

"
    I agree 100%! Yet another stupid, irresponsible law passed! Why carry a gun to work?! Cuz there hasn't been enough shootings in the workplace with employees going buck on their bosses after being fired!? Oh let's make it easier for them now! And not to mention the "wonderful" drivers we have on the streets! "Oh wait a minute...you just cut me off!? Let me grab my gun that I'm allowed to have in my car!" Really!?!?!? "

Get on there folks. Give it to 'em! lol

Last edited:

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    used to live near there, in Avilla, still have friends there. Exciting for that neck of the woods.

Top Bottom