• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    This is the kind of blind obedience that it takes to fill concentration camps. If they'd come after you for acts of charity, they sure as hell would come after your guns and freedoms.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    If he won once, shouldn't there be an injunction against the City?

Hmmm, something is off here.

Dude. Local ordinance. Just about anything can happen when a local legislature gets some great idea or other. All I had to read was:
    the first such cases made by the city after the a new ordinance effectively banning public food sharings took effect Friday.

Here:
    Fort Lauderdale Latest City to Restrict Feeding Homeless - NBC News
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida, approved restrictions overnight on churches and other charitable organizations that feed the homeless, becoming the latest city to impose limits on meals offered by private groups in public places.
    The regulations require groups handing out food to homeless to be at least 500 feet away from residential properties. They limit feeding sites for homeless to one in any given city block, and prevent feeding sites from being within 500 feet of each other.

It's the fourth law Fort Lauderdale has passed this year concerning the homeless, according to the Sun Sentinel. The others ban the homeless from asking for money at busy intersections, and make it illegal to sleep and store belongings on public property.

Public health and safety, baybee.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    This is interesting. Now INGO believes there should be no laws prohibiting people practicing their religious beliefs?

I'm offering my truck and tractor to assist whomever wants to move 10 Commandment monuments back to their court house lawns.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, yeah, but he prevailed on First Amendment grounds.

Methinks a federal judge will cast a critical eye on the City here.

Without any research, I suspect that ordinance was more... direct.

This one has nothing to do with homelessness. It has everything to do with protecting residential people. Residential people have rights too. You know, the rights to live in places 500 ft away from people handing out food to people without residences. I'm sure that's in the constitution someplace.

It is a simple time/place/manner restriction. Totally content neutral. City isn't saying you CAN'T give people food, just that you can't do it around certain places. Heck, the city doesn't care WHY you're giving out food. You can give out food anywhere other than within 500 feet of a residence. Or 500 feet of anyone else giving out food.

After all, if it works for drugs and guns, it should be a magic number for food, too.

(If it isn't clear, I'm not advocating, just predicting the contours of the arguments defending this ordinance.)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Technically speaking, feeding the hungry is not religious (unless you're passing out the host, I guess). The motivation to feed the hungry may be religious, but that doesn't mean the act is. Plenty of secular restaurants feed hungry people (for money) all the time.

That's what the city will probably say.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Promoting versus practicing are two different things and putting your religious icons on display on government property has already been addressed by the courts. Numerous times. There's a big difference between the two. Public property and government property aren't necessarily the same.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Promoting versus practicing are two different things and putting your religious icons on display on government property has already been addressed by the courts.

So have drug laws yet folks still complain about them...So I am assuming the next time someone breathlessly states "finally someone gets it" when another state legalizes a drug all someone has to say to destroy the argument is...It's illegal...It was already addressed by the courts(numerous times)....Gay Marriage was defined by a couple of thousand years of Law and Tradition as a marriage between a man and a woman so I guess that's already been addressed by history and law (numerous times)and no need to bring that up again huh???

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Personally, I'm torn on this issue. On the one hand, you have folks, with charity in their hearts, doing what they think they need to do to help out folks they think they need helping. On the other hand, they appear to be creating a public nuisance in a public park and I'm guessing from the writings--they're not obtaining permits (following the law) nor cleaning up the mess that gets left behind.

Then there's the issue and conundrum of how comfortable to you make people in their poverty? How much help do you provide before it becomes enabling? I believe it is a sin to not help somebody who needs it but doesn't want it. I also believe it's a sin to help somebody that requires it because they don't want to lift themselves out of needing it. I'm guessing the residents of this city have decided that these sorts of events tend to lean towards the latter.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    People are just protecting their property values, right? Isn't that a good enough reason to keep churches from feeding hungry people?

I would be ashamed to live in a city that thought that this was a proper exercise of power.

Top Bottom