• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kimber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2011
    South Bend
    Ok my local police chief refuses to sign my class three paper work. No reason given just refused. I have a permit to carry and I also have a twic card I also own a few rifles and hand guns. I have had no trouble with the law in any way. Trying to set up a meeting for face to face but that's not working out to well either. What are my options at this time?

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Teachman being an a******? Big surprise. I'd be interested in the answer to this as well since I am nearby. Out in the county at least...

Kimber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2011
    South Bend
    Living outside of city is easier because you deal with count sheriff and they have no problem, unfortunately I live in the city.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Well, I believe you have two options. 1) Sue him. 2) NFA Trust, as noted above.

Neither is a 'cheap' resolution, but I certainly agree that the Trust is your best option. As stated, then you don't need Teachman's permission and **** on 'im.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...an-sign-sheriff-cleo-signoff.html#post3262559

Law Enforcement Certification. Item 17 must be completed for an individual transferee, unless the transferee is licensed as a manufacturer, importer, or dealer under the GCA and is a special (occupational) taxpayer under the NFA at the time of the submission of the application for transfer. The chief law enforcement officer is considered to be the Chief of Police for the transferee's city or town of residence; the Sheriff for the transferee's county of residence; the Head of the State Police for the transferee's State of residence; a State or local district attorney or prosecutor having jurisdiction in the transferee's area of residence; or another person whose certification is acceptable to the Director, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. If someone has specific delegated authority to sign on behalf of the Chief of Police, Sheriff, etc., this fact must be noted by printing the Chief's, Sheriff's, or other authorized official's name and title, followed by the word "by" and the full signature and title of the delegated person. The certificate must be dated no more than one year prior to the date of receipt of the application.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    You can go to the County Sheriff and have him sign it. But it's easier to just set up a trust. If give's you a lot more flexibility. It's easier to pass your NFA items to your family in case of death. Put those you trust on your Trust.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I'm pretty sure you can go to the sheriff regardless......

-rvb

This is correct!! That's why I said it. They used to recommend going to the Sheriff after they denied you. I guess they don't any more. Just go to the Sheriff if you aren't interest in getting a trust.

Getting a trust is a easy deal. You can probably have it setup my tomorrow. Mine took a day.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I'd write a note to Casey Hendrickson, and see what kind of bad publicity you can get for Teachman...

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I'd write a note to Casey Hendrickson, and see what kind of bad publicity you can get for Teachman...

It's hard to make a liberal look bad in SB. They have a different mind set. They are"looking out for the community" When there is a pot hole in the road you just drive around it. Probablem solved. Get a trust!

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    You can also have a prosecutor or judge sign off on it. Trust is the easiest way though. Wish I would have gotten mine sooner.

Well, I believe you have two options. 1) Sue him. 2) NFA Trust, as noted above.

Can't sue him because there's nothing that requires him to sign. The ATF says that a CLEO sign off is required for paperwork done by an individual but there is nothing saying that the CLEO is required to sign. Being that you have several alternative routes, you would have to exhaust every one of them before the ATF would try to work out an alternative.

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    You can also have a prosecutor or judge sign off on it. Trust is the easiest way though. Wish I would have gotten mine sooner.

Can't sue him because there's nothing that requires him to sign. The ATF says that a CLEO sign off is required for paperwork done by an individual but there is nothing saying that the CLEO is required to sign. Being that you have several alternative routes, you would have to exhaust every one of them before the ATF would try to work out an alternative.

If you are even thinking about a trust, just do it. If you buy something now and want to transfer it in to the trust later it's gonna cost you another tax stamp! It make life so much easier. You won't regret it. And as mentioned earlier Mr Liston is great to deal with. I have pestered him with questions after the fact and he always responds.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I have met the chief on several occasions, and let me say; he is not just being a **** to you, he is always like that.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
    Top Bottom